1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The drafting of Terrell Edmunds vs Darius Leonard debate

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Dec 31, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not saying Edmunds was the right pick, in that draft I liked Bates, and Reid, my point is they weren't going to draft Leonard in the first round even if they passed on Edmunds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    What’s your point?

3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Same stuff about Brady.

I wonder if Major Applewhite would have turned into an NFL success? He was out playing Simms every time he stepped on the field!

4. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    Brady was a 6th round pick because there was nothing special about him in college. he was just another 60% nonathletic QB with an average arm. if belechik had thought he had future starter potential he wouldnt have waited till the 6th to draft him. anybody who says they knew he would be a good NFL QB besides his mom and dad are lying.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wasn’t PimplyDan was it?

6. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    :roflmao: now why would a celebrity hide. i was on the same forum as pimply dan when he dropped those words of wisdom. it is probably comparable to hearing martin luther kings i have a dream speech in person. i was one of the ones making fun of him in real time..lol was you on steeler fever ?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, it really isn't. I and many others ripped the Edmunds pick as a mistake immediately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Do you enjoy being wrong so consistently? I have admitted mistakes on this site. This isn't one of them. I was among many posters here who criticized the Edmunds pick immediately, and I was right.

The argument that the pick is somehow justified because Leonard wasn't the type of guy the Steelers would take is idiotic. The point is that he is the guy they should have taken. Their approach failed them that day and it has cost the organization dearly.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:facepalm:

We agree.... but for different reasons.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    What you think they wouldn't have done doesn't change what they should have done. I'm sorry you either can't understand that or you aren't honest enough to acknowledge that as the truth.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This is the part where you jump the shark in your argument. Your refusal to acknowledge that it is hindsight, not the Edmunds part but the Leonard part. He was on no ones radar and not only that, he far exceeded expectations let alone in his first season.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

Whether people like Terrell Edmunds or not is irrelevant. What was dates back to my point heading into the 2021 Training Camp; should Terrell Edmunds put together a Pro Bowl campaign, he is likely out of here. If not but puts together a rock solid season then he will be extended. While the 2022 Free Agent Safety Market looks strong on paper, the big catches in the likes of Jessie Bates III, Marcus Williams and Tyrann Mathieu are likely not on Pittsburgh's Rader due in part to them being mainly Free Safeties or their versatility being no different then what Minkah and Terrell do... though in Honey Badger's case a likely bigger impact. If anything, Marcus Maye of the New York Jets is a name worth keeping bookmarked as Kevin Colbert was at Florida's Pro Day; a good tip for who the Steeler's likely FA targets are.

Expecting the Steelers drafting a Safety within the first two rounds is very unrealistic at this point in time. The only way that the team does that is if Edmunds leaves, no FA option is picked up and the Steelers shoot for the moon in Kyle Hamilton. Again though, this will not happen. Why Kyle Hamilton?!

He is the only Safety in the draft that could be considered a "plug n play" option for the team. Others need not apply; Jaquan Brisker and Daxton Hill included. Hamilton is not just what the Steelers would need at the position but also allows Minkah to do.... literally whatever the hell he wants on the backend without fear of worrying about anything thrown underneath his single deep coverage responsibility.

• Like Like x 1
  13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I said once that given how badly Jerry-O has been teaching his unit that its probable that even had the Steelers drafted him, he would have been screwed up long before we saw the potential.

• Like Like x 1
  14. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Is that what that site was called?

I thought it was just on the Steelers main page message board that gem of post (and continuing thread) went down just before they killed the page and then this one started.

But maybe I’m wrong. There’s been a few over the years before this one started.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, that is the part that you and many other posters want to ignore. Whoever you want to argue they should have taken, it is inarguable among the sane that I was right to rip them for taking Edmunds. I was far more focused on criticizing him than I was on arguing for who they should have taken.

At the time, I thought they should take the next linebacker on the board, which was Leonard. I thought the need at inside linebacker was that desperate. I was right about that, too. The lack of options at that position once Shazier went down was a huge part of why the team came up short the previous season.

You choose to essentially accuse me of lying about wanting the next linebacker up. So be it.I can't show you a post to prove it, so I can't prove your accusation wrong.

If I remember correctly, the only option I mentioned before the pick was Chubb. Yeah, I know. Y'all insist the team would have never done that, but given what he has become, that would have been a much better pick than Edmunds, too.

16. Master Of Puppets

Dec 25, 2021
    yep, when steeler fever went down , some of the members went and created steelers universe, and some of them went and created steelers extreme. the owner of steelers fever sold the website to somebody who tried to turn it into a pay site. the greedy idiot payed like $25K for it and lost his ass :roflmao:

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Calm down, not accusing you of anything, you never wanted Leonard though, you didn’t even know who he was. Thats the hindsight part.

And I have said in the past you were right to knock the Edmunds pick.

It’s inarguable among the sane that saying they should have taken Leonard is nothing but hindsight.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, the pimply dan post was on the Steelers official message board.

TTF started this site and brought many of the posters along with him.

All hail TTF :bowdown:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well Well, will this thread resonate after the seasons over and Edmonds is no longer a Pittsburgh Steeler. Another 1st round pick mistake. It happens.
    All the while Artie Burns and Jarvis Jones, Jamain Stevens are saying "Hold my Beer". They were worse. And their is a possibility that a particular ILB may make the list.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It's not just what I think, three members of the media said the same thing, no team was going to draft a ILB from a small school in the first round. I respect their opinion on this topic more than yours :shrug:.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You Guys still arguing about all this???
    LoL .
    I think T. Edmunds sucks, was a bad wasted pick, but everyone I wanted in the first round was already gone....if I remember correctly.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I never said I wanted Edmunds, nobody knew that Leonard would turn into an All-Pro, when people say Leonard should've been the pick is just hindsight.

• Like Like x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    For Me Leonard is Hindsight, but for others may not have been. I can only speak for myself about that. Because even though I watch a $h!+ ton of College football....I never watched Him.

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The last player the Steelers took in the first round from a small school was Ben, Leonard has average size, didn't run fast. So, can somebody explain to me how the Steelers was supposed to project him as a first round pick, and Colbert/Tomlin didn't attend his pro day.

• Like Like x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We need a .....I don't know button. :shrug::hehehe: