1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting take on Klemm by Dejan Kovacevic

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Dec 28, 2021.

1. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Who is "they"? Are you deliberately trying to downplay Tomlin's role in hiring his own staff? Adrian Klemm was a bad hire and I gurandamntee you that at the bare minimum, Tomlin recommended him to the Rooney's. Yes, Mike Tomlin makes mistakes, Sunshine. Get over it. And don't lump me in with the Tomlin haters. I just don't possess your blind faith.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    I am going to laugh my ass off if Ben goes to Denver next year to be reunited with Munch, and maybe they could also bring in Randy too.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No, I said it was a lateral move to college. At least one coach did, the other lateral move may be Munch I am thinking of but I thought two went to the college ranks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    In the beginning the players and coaches said it would be some growing pains with this offensive line.
    But I haven’t seen ANY improvements in any of the starting five offensive linemen I mean I’m no coach, but at least by now you would think you would hear something about this or that player making a slight improvement since the beginning of the year.
    If money was no problem who can honestly say you would keep but one of the starting 5 in a starting role? Dobson would be the only one I would keep in his current position. I would replace all the rest if I had the draft capital and the money.

5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It’s inexcusable that Tomlin would allow someone that unqualified to coach such an important unit, especially with all of the young and inexperienced offensive linemen on this team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It might be inexcusable but it's totally in line with his own inexperienced view of football offense. I honestly don't think he has a clue what's involved beyond rudimentary concepts. To put it into perspective Frank Reich played with his backup center on a night where his running back ran for 200 yards while the Steelers and Tomlin have had the same center for 15 games and more of Harris' yards came from his own efforts.

• Like Like x 1
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Was that a function of what the center did or a function of what the defense did not do?

• Like Like x 1
  8. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    The 200 yards? I think it was a function of the Colts being prepared, a talented running back and a former QB turned OC turned HC and knowing how to get his team ready. Coming into that game NE had the top ranked defense.

Edit: I was wrong it was 170 I thought they said 200 but might have been cumulative on the ground

• Like Like x 1
  9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Id trade Tomlin and a coach to be named later for Frank Reich today.

10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

I truly despise the “not prepared” statement. Y’all throw it around as if you have some kind of insight into the situation. When in fact you have none. It’s one of those this is complete bs statements, but it sounds good. If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****.

Outside of the backup center is everything else equal between the teams? Do they have a right guard that can’t pull? Is he sloth like? Is their right tackle okay in pass protection, but truly lacking in run blocking? Did they start their 5th left guard? Is their left tackle a rookie as well? Does their qb take the vast majority of snaps from the shotgun? Is their qb a statue?

11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****.,

Tomlin'ism?

12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Your right, you caught me on my bull**** because I have no idea how much prep work a coach who calls their opponent nameless grey faces and who's core philosophy is we don't concern ourselves with what other teams do, possibly does. Let me know how it all turns out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Are you saying he doesn’t take their football knowledge to Jesus level?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    why don’t you watch for yourself? Why not answer any of the questions I asked?

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Not weighing in here but for context, the Colts have the second best rush offense in the league and PFF had them as the second best o-line going into 2021.

Mind you, they’re seriously depleted this week, crazy Covid list

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I can agree, but was the organization actually that blind to the level of Decastros health and the timeline for Banners recovery? There is something broken in front office communications if that is the case.

17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    It sounded at the time that even decastro was shocked. He had already had two(surgeries I think) on that ankle, but neither were successful. Banner had a setback that screwed things up. So I wouldn’t say there’s something broken.

18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    But doesn't that lend itself to the preparation aspect we are talking about? If they can have a top rated rushing attack and a highly ranked line where they plug in a backup and not miss a beat that shows that they are on top of things.

To Strummerfan's point yes there are lots of new moving parts for the Steelers, plenty of inexperience and just subpar play and we don't know exactly how they are prepping but again the law of averages they should have had at least had one solid game in there and they haven't.

@strummerfan to give a short answer when you have an intelligent player like Harris who was at the facility breaking down tape long after everyone went home say I didn't know that games could end in a tie. When your wr position coach says they played McCloud over Washington because he was Juju's backup and took most of the backup snaps as the reason they didn't play a 3rd year wr with a higher skill level these are things that show that preparation focuses on things that may seem important but are often way below prepping for their opponents. The Bills game gave me great hope that Tomlin's staff had turned the corner but that didn't happen.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Could it be the perfect storm? Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck and the
    players suck. :shrug::cool:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    All I know is nearly everything seen this year sucked. I honestly have tried to see the glass half full aspect in years past, did not even have high expectations for this year, but I did not expect the complete breakdowns game after game.

21. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I would bet you are correct, Tomlin already named him a candidate. My way of thinking is that they should consider a fresh start unless he brings some new ideas to whatever they had been doing.

“It also gives me an opportunity to evaluate C-Mo[Chris Morgan], who will get an opportunity to be elevated in his role. C-Mo is very credible. He was a lead line coach of the Atlanta Falcons for a number of years before he got here. He’s also had the unique perspective of being in a support capacity throughout the 2021 season but also having an intimate enough relationship with what’s going on among the staff and among the players. I’m really excited about his elevation and the component that it could bring to us."..

“It’s really as I outlined. I think it’s a real good opportunity for me to gain some exposure and the potential of C-Mo because he’ll be a candidate for the job, and what better way to see what he’s capable of than to allow him to do the job for the remaining portions of the season. "

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yes, the front office bungled the offensive line to an epic degree. I was screaming about it all summer and preseason, but many here assured me that all would be OK.

• Like Like x 1
  23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

See you act as if the tie thing is some anomaly. When in fact nothing can be further from the truth. Donovan McNabb said the same thing back in 2008(?) under Reid. Even the lions rookie running back didn’t know. Danny Ammendola had the same issue under belichek. Are you going to claim he didn’t have his team prepared? But, y’all take it as some crime against humanity.

Given the limited amount of practice time do you really expect wide receivers to be interchangeable? Washington practices and knows the outside. McCloud practices and knows the slot. Moving Washington to the slot at the time is a fool’s errand. If our center got injured would you play the back up center or back up left tackle?

24. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    dotson needs to go back to the position he played in college. right guard. he even said on arthur moats podcast he was more comfortable playing on the right. dotson got everyone's attention when he was filling in for decastro because he played so well there. if they dont bring turner back, which i hope they dont, i think he moves back there. green played LG in college. hopefully they will consider trying him there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    What I take anything as, in regards to this team, is a symptom of a coaching philosophy based on if we play the way we can, no one in the league can hang with us. The sad problem with that is that other teams prepare, You can bet whatever amount you want that on Monday night Miles Garrett has broken down tape on Dan Moore and what he needs to to do to continuously beat him and not just saying if I do everything I'm supposed to do we will win.

So Washington doesn't know what a slant route is, what a drag route is, the difference between a seam route and a post route, doesn't know where to line up, doesn't know how to break off a route, doesn't know how to catch a ball when lined up as an X, Y, or Z receiver? He played how many years in college and has been with the Steelers for three years and yet could not be put in at the slot and be trusted to catch the ball? Now lets put a pin in that stupidity and bring up the obvious in that line of thought. If Washington couldn't man the slot in that fashion then why didn't they move Claypool and DJ inside and have Washington outside as they have clearly taken snaps in practice and in games since then from the slot position surely they would have prepared for that? If the center got injured I'd expect them to play an interior linemen who does have experience doing it such as many on here have called for in Finney and Hassenhauer should either one of them not be available during the course of a game they will take the guy who can snap the ball which is very low down on the list of possible situations that happen but it does happen like getting your kicker concussed in the 1st half of a game. strange things happen sometimes.

• Like Like x 2