1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting take on Klemm by Dejan Kovacevic

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by strummerfan, Dec 28, 2021.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Basically he says we didn’t see any improvement along the line because Klemm didn’t know what to do. He was calling people and asking for advice on how to fix things. If true it would go a long ways towards explaining being allowed to leave with 2 games to play.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Their whole approach to the OLine was a shambles from coaching to personnel. They needed an experienced and proven hand to rebuild the line and they needed to invest in personnel properly.

Let’s hope 2021 was the wake up call they needed

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Clearly a common situation most great head coaches find themselves in. :facepalm:

It's amazing to me how anyone can still show support for a head coach that can't even manage his own coaching staff. Going into this season everyone had to know the O-line was going to need to be coached up. It's an inexcusable failure.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Ive been saying ever since it happened.....losing Mike Munchak is the biggest personnel loss this organization has had in twenty years.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

:facepalm:

6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Need to go outside organization for the replacement.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I’m honestly not sure he could transform this line in one year. We started out with a plan of chuks, Dotson, Green, Decastro, Banner. We lost Decastro. Then Banner wasn’t ready and had a setback. So then we end up with two rookies, a broken rg, a player out of position at rt, and a carousel of 6 different players at lg.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Looks like they reached for this guy like they've reached for too many draft choices recently. I think it would be obvious that they would need an experienced pro that had a track record of working with young, inexperienced players. Just like Canada and to a lesser extent Butler, it looks as if Klemm was in over his head. No wonder he couldn't get out of here fast enough. Personally, the more I learn about this trainwreck of a season, the less I understand. They kicked the can down the road at QB and o-line, among other positions. I suppose it shouldn't be a shock that they did the same thing with some of their coaching hires. Honestly, what the hell is going on here?

• Like Like x 2
  9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Worst since losing Chan Gailey back in the 90's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We were always going to lose Munchak. He was an ex-head coach with tons of experience. His skills were going to be in demand.

I think he only came here to try to get a ring, and once the window closed he was out.

11. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

The lengths y’all will go to discredit a coach is dumbfounding. They promoted Klemm after firing Sarrett. At the time several former and current Steelers lineman raved about the move.

• Like Like x 2
  12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Munchak's daughter and grand kids live in Denver, he took the job there because he wanted to be closer to his family.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    True, but does that mean we had to then bring in guys who have no clue what they're doing?
    And once this train came off the tracks and our coaches showed zero ability to get it fixed, why weren't they replaced? This team seems allergic to change and that's not always a good thing.

Unless I'm getting my years mixed up, the Ravens fired their OC mid season and won the SB that year. Not saying we are going to win the SB, we're not. But change isn't a bad thing. In fact, it can be a good thing. Not sure why people think stability is the key to success. When you hire the wrong people, stability is a detriment to success.

I know Tomlin isn't going anywhere yet, so then just fire Canada and be done with it. I say fire Butler too. Replace everyone and then if/when we fail again next year, there will be no one to blame but Tomlin. Then just maybe we can see some real change that's desperately needed.

We've had some wins against weaker competition that has made this team look decent, at least to outsiders. But those of us who have watched every snap know that this team is historically bad. We aren't even average

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    We should just make Strummer HC/OC/DC combo because according to him coaches have nothing to do with anything regardless! Save some cash we could get him on the cheap.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    No it isn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Here is the reality of the situation they offer Canada a job telling him to implement his playbook. Anything he wants to do, do it with one condition. He must keep Ben happy. He then has to give Klemm directions for the offensive line, a line that features 2 rookies, a 2nd year player, a veteran coming off a forgettable year after an injury and a project guy at RT who is outside the mold of what you want a tackle to be and has a tendency to play soft.

Oh one other thing the team owner has mandated that they fix their running game.

So Klemm has very limited options. Can we bring in a dbl TE set with a FB in a power I formation with Ben under center?

Canada: Love it, love where your head is, great solution but no we can't Ben doesn't like it so much.

Klemm: ok how about the pistol with an unbalanced line with the TE coming in motion from left to right to seal the edge?

Canada: YES! That's what I'm talking about. Awesome job but no we can't do that either, it doest have 3 WRs and shotgun.

Klemm: ok how about having 2 TE's and Claypool in a bunch formation on the right side and have Harris go off tackle with those three leading the way? My guys just have to move laterally and hold the line.

Canada: Best one yet, but no.

Klemm: Ben again?

Canada: yep. Find me something that works for him and isn't to hard to teach guys to do.

I have no doubt Klemm was calling everyone and anyone for advice on what to do. Even with all of the new parts on the OL the law of averages should have given the at least 2 games where they dominated but yeah, no. This was always going to be the Ben offense from 5 years ago only with out his physical tools.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    He'd have them playing better than they are. When he left, the line with most of the same personnel suddenly couldn't block anyone.

18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Holy **** someone gets it!

19. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Maybe. Hard to do much when the pieces keep changing. That old line couldn’t block anymore because they were done. Pouncey had been showing his age for a few years. Decastro was nowhere near the player he used to be. Villanueva should have retired. I think he’s allowed 7 sacks and committed 9 penalties this year. He’s allowed 7 sacks on a run first offense with arguably the most mobile qb in the league.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah ...I watched earlier. It's not the first time I heard He was out of His depth in the NFL, but still a good listen.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Remember when Ben ran into a sack the game before. Lamar does that quite often if You watch. Like M. Mariota liked 2 do in Tennessee.

22. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I’m not an X and O guy, so this is a little out of my league. But, I would imagine the OC says we’re gonna do double TE and a FB and then it’s the OL coaches job to design blocking schemes from that. Versus, the OL coach asking for players not on the OL as described above.

• Like Like x 1
  23. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

So its Bens fault,?

24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    solely? No. Is he part of the problem?
    Absolutely

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    They won't though. Guarantee they give it to Klemm's assistant who has coached o line before for the Falcons during SB year. Why he didn't have the job to begin with wtf knows.