1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Maybe people should cut Pressley Harvin some slack

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Dec 21, 2021.

1. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Berry went from an average punter while under the tutelage of Smith to a very good punter under the tutelage of someone else. Agree that wad of gum Smith has to go

• Like Like x 2
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That I did not know and it is nice of the Steelers. Maybe everybody should get 3-4 months off everywhere to heal after losing a loved one. Work can wait.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Everyone takes things differently, I know when I lost my Mother 2 weeks before Thanksgiving 8 years ago it literally had me laying on the couch not wanting to do anything for many many months. That included not wanting to run my business that I had just started. And when I did do some work, I was screwing everything up.

it screwed me up mentally. So I can understand Tuitt and Harvins mindset.

One positive of Harvins performance on Sunday was if he didn’t handle the snaps for Boz as well as he did, we wouldn’t have won the game.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

And did our punter ask for time off ? Most people would. Did he say Hey I can suck since my dad is dying? No, pretty sure he never said that. The only mention of this is those of you with imaginations and a desire to ***** about something that didn't even happen. "grrrr damn those pussies.... those of you who had moms or dads die at a young age... you didn't take time off of work? You weren't distracted when a loved one was dying? Ya BS! hypocrites.

I also love the tough guy talk from this crowd... they're usually the first one's in line looking for handouts and entitlements. Then point the finger at others when they get their feelings hurt.

If you want to be angry at the punter or any other player for sucking...fine. I agree with the assessment that a # of our players are playing terrible and probably not putting in the preparation to be good. That's on the HC ...he's the boss . He makes the personnel decisions. You cut a capable punter for a draft pick and he sucks ...that's on the coaches and the GM. Who's teaching this kid how to kick in the NFL? He probably should be looking for a new job along with MT. This is not the only poor personnel decision on this team. We have them everywhere.

Compassion is not only for you... it's something any decent human should give to others. I feel bad for the kid. 23 year old kid dealing with this... it's sad. I hope he gets through it ok and his family is ok possibly having their last xmas with their father. He didn't say I want 3-4 months off or that he's gonna ignore his responsibilities. If he can't perform then we should have found a new punter... again that's on the coaches...not this 23 year old kid. He'll get his chances to excel at his craft elsewhere if he wants that .

• Like Like x 2
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Not everyone shares your experiences tho. I lost my mom and step-dad whilst in my early 30s. Since then it's been 6 psychward visits and two suicide attempts, three years of homelessness and 7 months of in-patient treatment. My case is on the extreme side of things with many underlying factors. My brother, on the other hand, just has a slight case of depression. Everyone is wired different and it doesn't matter if someone is Chester Bennington or myself. It's brutal and until you walked those footsteps, stfu

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I feel bad for his old man having to listen to his son getting booed at Heinz. Is that the last memory he gets of his boy playing in the NFL? If so, then those that booed him can suck it. That is not something you want to stand for when your kids are getting treated like crap. I'm not saying everyone deserves a trophy and all that crap. Hopefully I've made that clear with my sarcastic "juice box" posts. But I'm going to someone's ass if they disrepect my kids.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    ST coaches need to be changed regularly and not in a diaper sense.

9. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I enjoy those who feel the need to tell you their situation when someone else is dealing with an issue

10. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but if he's going through this it should be the coaches that let him sit the rest of the year and sign another punter. If he's not performing regardless of the reason, its the coaches job to find someone who can perform.

Almost like the Tuitt situation. He's going through some things mentally, and should not play if those things will affect his play.
    It's obvious this is affecting Harvin play, and should sit the rest of the season and the organization goes out and finds someone that can perform.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Yep. Tomlin needs to realize you can't be buddy buddy with every coach and hold onto them forever. Cowher would have went through 3 or 4 ST coaches by now.

12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Nonsense. I haven't seen anyone engaging in "tough guy talk" in this thread besides you. @steel machine certainly didn't.

So by your logic, people that think Pressley Harvin should kick the ball more consistently are all somehow looking for entitlements and handouts. WTF are you even talking about here?

Every single person that has posted in this thread has acknowledged their sympathies for Harvin. Some are not willing to use this as an excuse for Harvin's punting woes. I know I'm sure not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Yeah that does suck that it went down that way. It isn't like anyone in the crowd knew what was going on with Harvin's Dad. People are booing what was an awful performance. They weren't personally attacking Harvin

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    For future reference:
    When you say "Trying not to be a dick here but.." you're not actually trying very hard.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We definitely won’t see eye to eye on that. Comparing a cashier to a punter in the NFL isn’t remotely the same IMO and that’s not putting players on a pedestal, it’s acknowledging one requires a skill and the other one doesn’t. One requires a set of mechanics to be carried out in a precise way and one doesn’t.

As I said, everyone is different. When my dad died (long time ago) I didn’t eat for the first six days. After that, I was fine when I had something to occupy my mind, it was the quiet moments that I struggled with. For other people it doesn't work that way.

We live in a very judgmental society.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I will tell you what. My local McDonalds has 2 lanes that are backed up around the building, and sometimes the entire way out of the parking lot from morning until night. These poor girls that work in there are taking orders, while they are filling drinks, arguing with customers over orders. They have non stop activity going on around them at all times. I have no idea what the girls that work in there make, but whatever it is it should be double. I have commented to my wife more than once that I legit don't think I could do that job. I'd lose my mind. I would disagree when you say that job doesn't require skill.

Harvin punts a football. Obviously he has the skill and talent to punt at the NFL level. But lets not pretend what he does is rocket science.

I for one am not being judgmental. Harvin himself has not made any excuses for his play. We are all speculating on how he feels. Football Dads can be tough. For all we know Harvin's Dad broke his balls over the performance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You had me until the stfu but everyone is entitled to their own feelings and experiences. Hope things are going better for you. My experiences share some of the same sentiments as yours, I've shared before that I can't remember anything about the day my wife was told her pregnancy with our daughter might not be viable. I heard that news and just shut down. It all worked out in the end but it was a rough week trying to stay strong for her and deal with my own emotions. Stay well.

• Like Like x 3
  18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Smith's rises and falls have been relative to the talent he has had to work with. When he had solid special teams guys like Chick and Dirty Red his squads made splash plays. When he has had less stellar guys his squads have looked horrible. That is a knock on coaching unfortunately. There are ST coaches that get good play out of talent no matter how bad or good they are and then some like Smith with careers that look like a daily tide schedule.

19. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm not sure if this is serious or sarcasm. I do it because at times it adds context to my opinions. Such as when AB threw furniture off the balcony and a young boy was scared by the sudden falling furniture. Several board members started to say things about the boy and I asked that they stop. My two children have a condition known as Sensory Processing disorder and so I don't like dragging kids into a discussion in a negative manner. Sometimes I think I should keep that to myself but I advocate for them so much it's second nature.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    We all handle adversity differently. I’ve seen a 300lbs, 6’4” Texan break down in uncontrollable tears because he had to put his dog down earlier that day. That was something that I couldn’t understand. Nobody knows how Harvin feels right now just like no one knows what Tuitt is going through.

• Like Like x 1
  21. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarcasm. I dont think the AB situation is comparable to someone dealing with impending death of a parent, but if u do thats fine. I just find it odd when someone is dealing with an issue another person chimes in with their own experience on how they deal with life tragedies. I get they may not know exactly what to say, but to assume we all should act the same with emotions is pretty weird.

Also we'd have 0 clue if not for aditi's tweet, so i dont think hes trying to make excuses or deal with it a certain way. We're debating on a msg board without knowing anything beyond hes been a very inconsistent punter. Seems like tomlins sticking with him based upon his presser so hope he figures it out.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah, you're being a dick :rolleyes:.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You don't know what he's going through mentally, to say it doesn't affect his play is wrong.

24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    It is always our first reaction to try and incorporate a personal experience into discussions such as this. It's just human nature. That doesn't make it right though.

Harvin seems like a competitor. I dont hear an excuses coming from him directly. He is probably as mad as anybody about how things are going.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    What are you talking about? He was drafted where punters normally are not, he was a 7th rd pick :facepalm:.