1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Maybe people should cut Pressley Harvin some slack

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Dec 21, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    That’s too bad might be affecting his play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Trying not to be a dick here but I'm not buying that. I watched bone cancer eat my father away when I was 11 and still performed well at school. Watched my mother 20 years later suffer same MFing way and still did my job and did it well.

Again sorry for being a dick and I know we live in this new touchy feely culture. He is not a great punter and after his father passes which happens to billions of people every year he will still be the same punter. How many professional sport players have lost one of their parents during a season? I'm sure tons.

This happens to people working at minimum wage jobs and they still do their job. Now we should feel bad for a guy making huge money to kick a football because like a billion other people his parent dies.

Sorry and yes I'm a little sick of this culture.

If I offended any member I truly apologize and have a great holiday season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah I kind of agree here. No one is saying we don't feel absolutely horrible for what he is going through but - I am not going to feel bad for being pissed at his ****ty punting.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    First off, my thoughts and prayers go out Pressley Harvin, the same as they would to any other human being that is having similar struggles.

Now for the part that is going to get me blasted. Pressley Harvin's punting struggles have absolutely, 150%, nothing to do with the health of his father. Sorry. I am not buying it. Not buying it one bit.

Man do I miss the days, where we as a society, celebrated those who overcame adversity. That just doesn't happen anymore. We are too busy making excuses to even notice such things.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Whole heartedly agree. Sorry for the losses you've experienced (like a billion others) and kudos to you for carrying on like you should. JMO>

• Like Like x 2
  7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Yeah I feel bad for getting down on the guy. But, of course I had no idea what was going on with his Dad.

And I really feel really bad because he had an absolute chorus of boos rained down on him at Heinz Sunday, after his one punt that didn't go far.

But, I don't think any of the fans knew at all what was going on.

I hope his Dad gets lots of time left, and Pressley can push through and improve.

Side note fans did vote him into the pro bowl

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    he is hurting us. Sorry for his hardship. he seems to not be a great punter thus far.

9. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Never was a fan of fan voting. We tend to vote for who we like as opposed to who is best. In MLB I vote for every Pirate:) We all know how great they are.

10. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Sorry to hear about his dad, but he is objectively the worst punter in the NFL this year. And he was a draft pick.

There are 33 players who have punted 25 or more times this year. Of those 33, Harvin is:

31st in average punting distance at 43.3 yards.

32nd in net average of 38.1 yards.

1st in the NFL in punts out of bounds with 14. Only one other punter is in double digits with 10.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t know why fans do this. Compare their hardships to others. So you handled yourself well, good for you, everyone is different though. And what does your job entail? Is it the same dynamics as punting a football which requires a set of motions to be in sync, like hitting a golf ball, rolling a bowling ball or throwing a dart? Those are things that can absolutely be affected by your head not being on the task at hand.

Having said that, his struggles have been all year and he just found out about his fathers limited time left. So no, I don’t think it is related although it could have had something to do with Sunday, he was particularly bad that day.

He’s inconsistent, it’s something he can get better at. I see people pining away for Berry, Berry was the same thing only he has been punting in the NFL for years, this is Harvins first season, give the guy a chance.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I am sympathetic about what is going on with him and won't confirm or deny his state of grief. I have not walked in his shoes, so I'll can't say how it affects him.

• Like Like x 2
  13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    In keeping with the trend of people getting blasted for a point of view in this thread I will say it is somewhat disingenuous for a reporter who regularly has negatives to say about people to lecture on grace and treating people with respect. Now if Tunch Ilkin God rest his soul said that it takes so little to be the person we all aspire to be at all times I'd shake his hand say you are so right and take a hard look in the mirror. For this meh .

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The way he got booed at Heinz tho... I was shocked to hear that in person. You could see by his body language that he wasn't in a good place. I hope he uses it as motivation to shut some of you guys up.

• Like Like x 4
  15. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Granted its a punter so how much do we really care. We only care when one is really bad and he has been not as advertised this year. Here's hoping he bounces back the way boswell did. I'm sure many of us wanted Bos gone, but glad now they stuck with him. At this point I'd give him one more game and see how he does then possibly bring in another punter. I'd give him the opportunity to compete next year for the job, but he shanks 1 punt a game it seems like.

16. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I’m willing to keep him if they fire the ST coach

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Blast, you and I won't see eye to eye on this one. The area above in red is where we differ the most. Pressley Harvin's ability to punt a football while under stress, is absolutely no different than a small business owner's ability to manage his business under duress. Do you think a cashier at a busy Mcdonalds location, might struggle to perform at their best, if they just found out a loved one had only moments to live?

Some fans put professional athletes on a pedestal, and assume that their adversity is that much greater than that of the "common man". Like you said. I don't know why some fans do this.

I personally have known a few professional athletes over the years. I also know a few guys (and a girl) who have played college ball at the D-1 level. These are regular people. At least the people that I know are. They have spouses and kids. Their lives are not at all dissimilar than any of ours. We all have struggles that we have to deal with. Being a Pro athlete doesn't make them less or more important.

Harvin seems like a good kid. I legitimately feel bad for his family. But he gets no free pass from me on his play on the field, which has been horrendous. People that are able to turn personal tragedy into motivation, are always going to be more successful than people who wallow in self pitty. I hope Harvin can find a way to be one of those people.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He is our punter. He has struggled. All season.

I feel empathetic and i've been in his situation. Most wanted Berry gone, now they want him back :lolol:

Who coaches up these guys? Bubble Yum isn't out there showing him how to punt. He might need to work with someone in the off season that used to punt, coach him up. When he shanks he shanks hard and then there is those punts where you say that's why he is here, boomers.

Can't keep giving the opposition a short field.

Maybe if the offense was contributing more they wouldn't have to punt as much. Not an excuse for Harvin just a reality.

19. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    As someone else stated in this thread, his performance has been consistently poor the entire season, not just the past few weeks.

He was drafted where punters normally are not, because he was expected to be one of the top punters in the league. Instead he is literally the worst or second worst.

He may be struggling with his father's condition, but what happens if next year he continues to be 31st or 32nd in the league. What if his dog gets sick? Does he get a pass next year too?

20. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Really this comment has a dislike?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Is there a back up punter if he needs time off?

22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    He had the punt of the century and the Defense still let them go 99 yards for a TD. Earlier in the season he pinned the opposing team at the 2 only to watch them go 98 yards that time. We have a plethora of total suck going on in any given game. Harvin is a rather small problem that we currently have on this team.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  23. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe they like gum chewers

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Have not been to Heinz for many years. Would you say this booing is relatively new for Steeler fans at the stadium???? I have been to more then a few sporting events in Philadelphia and they are harsh as hell toward their team. I mean they scream obscenities at the players in the tunnel and I do mean scream. Not a fan of any Philly team but I kind of felt bad for the players.

I remember a Playoff Hockey game that the Pens won (YES) and Flyer fans pelted a few of the players cars coming out of the garage. I'd be dismayed to know Steeler fans have taken that path.

25. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

Think you might be missing the point. Someone saying thank you to the steelers org for allowing his dying father to sit on the sidelines during his last few days on earth is not a culture. The only culture I see is this so called "anti culture" crowd of morons, assholes, and hypocrites. So yea that feeling you got when typing your post that ... "this is probably a dick thing to say"... you were spot on.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1