1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Urban Meyer, College Coaches, and the Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by KMM, Dec 17, 2021.

1. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Posting because of the other thread where many were calling for Fickell or Fitzgerald as the next coach here.

Really?

It's a different game, and most college coaches just don't cut it as pro coaches. Jimmy Johnson, and maybe to a lesser extent, Jim Harbaugh, Pete Carroll (in his second go around), and currently Kingsbury being exceptions, but otherwise guys like Spurrier, Saban, Petrino, Holtz, Kiffin have been complete failures.

Meyer may be biggest failure of them all. In fact, he may be the worst NFL hire of all time. He makes the Adam Gase era at New York look like Weeb Ewbank.

This is not to defend Tomlin keeping his job, although there probably is a "Be careful what you wish for" argument to be made, but rather that our next HC will fit the same profile of the last three. NFL assistant in his 30's. No way ARII goes against that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Again...the next coach of the Steelers will be some obscure NFL assistant you've never heard off. End of story.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Next coach will be hired in 10 or so years.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Screenshot_20211215-222327_Twitter.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Agree totally. Just be thankful those making those suggestions are out of the hiring equation, completely. Fickell is a good coach but right now I think he has a lot on his plate coming up in his next game. If he can actually beat Bama, that'll FU my bowl picks to no end. JMO>

6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  7. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I'll be dead before the steelers hire their next head coach

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    In the thread you referenced I brought up Luke Fickell and I still stand behind him having a successful career in the NFL. When you watch his teams play they are very business like and rarely take things for granted and hardly ever show off. It doesn't matter whether they win by one point or 40. They seem to go about the day in the same usual manner. He could have easily jumped ship for ND and cashed out for well over a $100,000,000 contract but instead he told them that he had unfinished business with his current team and if they still wanted to talk after the season then he would welcome that, otherwise they should pursue someone else in which ND did.

It seems to me that the Steelers are traveling down the old tired road of MT and a rather stale unmotivated coaching staff. Players no longer buy into his philosophy but just go about showing up and hoping to win week in and week out which doesn't equal anything but average results. They know that if they perform exceptionally or poorly they will be treated with the same standards.

A change is needed in this organization in order to find success beyond just trying to make the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Let's Hope Not even if it's 20 years from now.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The biggest coaching failures from college to pros has been by the biggest names in college football programs.

Those guys have too much ego to succeed at the NFL level. They also have no idea how to manage pro athletes making millions of dollars, it’s night an day from the control they have over players in college. Urban Myers kicked Josh Lambo for crying out loud. That may work on a kid that needs you to get to the pros but not once they have already made it.

Guarantee you Myers never commanded that locker room, never had the respect of the players, not even the other coaches from the sounds of it.

I think you can make the jump from college to pros but the odds are stacked against the big shot college coaches.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    Have most pro coaches started coaching in the college ranks then moved to assistant coaching positions in the NFL before becoming head coaches? I don't know I'm asking if that's the better path to follow

12. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    Man that'd make me 87! LOL I was kind of being facetious there. But this job is Tomlin's until he decides to call it quits

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m guessing that most have gone straight to HC positions. Reason being, they probably wouldn’t leave a cushy HC position in college to be an assistant in the pros. Although that would probably be the better path to follow.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Educationally yes, financially no.

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Why does the NFL regurgitate these old tired white men for head coaches? Losers before, losers again. Why?
    I am a white person, give the best and brightest a chance I don't care if their white, black , blue, yellow green
    give them a chance.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    fickell isn't an azz like myer is. :cool:

17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Apparently, you do care.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, plenty of college coaches have failed, but so have many coaches who didn't come from college. For every long term successful coach, there's several that weren't successful, regardless of where they started.

If a guy is a good coach, he'll adapt to his environment and his players.

19. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    I'm thinking of pro coaches that were assistants in college. Not necessarily head coaches in college. perhaps they were in some other capacity but then took a job in the pros and advanced that way? I can't think of one off the top of my head. Probably not important anyway. I remember O'Brien coached at Penn State for two years I think went to the pros and crashed and burned. Don't know Tomlin's background whether he coached in college first or not.

20. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    A lot of current HC's coached as assistants in college.

I don't think that's the point of this thread, though. It's that career college coaches that reach the pinnacle of college coaching, meaning HC at a Power 5 school, really haven't been able to consistently translate that to success at the NFL HC level.

• Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Tomlin coached in college at Arkansas State. That's the only one I know about. Doesn't mean He didn't elsewhere, but that's the one I know.

• Like Like x 1
  22. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    What kind of ****ing idiot ref was that giving him 2 yards!!! On the placement. *******

23. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Way to bring race into something where it doesn’t matter. LGB

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I know the truth hurts.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  25. SteelerNole