1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin has been the Steelers head coach for 14 years -- why no coaching tree?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Nov 30, 2021.

1. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I personally think the Rooney’s hoped they were getting another Bill Cowher. They clearly did not find a coach as innovative and well organized as BC .

I think its fair to say MT is an average coach. If he doesn’t have great assistants and great talent he’s not going to win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  3. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    This question has already been posed in another thread. You dont know how to use the search function or you just like beating a dead horse that proves nothing?

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Your Avatar cracks Me up. LoL

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    The problem is the coaching tree is a poor measure of this trait.

Go back to this site. http://graphics.wsj.com/nfl-coaches/

The size of the circle represents the size of the coaching tree. Norv Turner's is bigger than Noll and Cowher. Do you really think any one thinks Norv is a better coach than either of those two?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Cherrypicking a single example that seems to buck the trend doesn't invalidate the fact that the best coaches have prodigious coaching trees.

Don't be like those antivaxxers who claim that because a fully vaccinated person got COVID that means the vaccines don't work at all.

7. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Did you go to the site and check out the coaching trees?

It wasn't cherrypicking. Look at Lou Saban, Forrest Gregg, Brian Billick, or Chuck Fairbanks. Then compare to Vince Lombardi, Mike Shanahan, or Tom Landry. You'll see that those last three have equal or lesser coaching trees than Norv, Lou, Forrest, Brian, and Chuck.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Did someone say this was an exact measure? There’s obviously alot of factors to influence the wins and losses but yea Norv Turner was considered a damn good coach. Maybe he was a better leader or boss than everyone else? Maybe he had less talent? Less $? , more bad luck? etc.

The point is proven in the numbers and anyone with any leadership or management experience knows exactly what Im talking about.

9. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    upload_2021-12-1_21-49-24.jpeg MERRY CHRISTMAS

• Like Like x 2
  10. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    This has been discussed many times already on here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Since steeler fans love to point to NE let’s add a little fuel to the fire. Bill Belichek is arguably the best coach in nfl history, but a look at his coaching tree doesn’t paint a picture that suggests success. According to the following article only one member of his coaching tree has a winning record in the nfl. Does that mean he’s stupid? A crap coach?

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/pa...aching-tree-hasnt-fared-well-nfl-head-coaches

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I took the vaccine. Got COVID. This is the first time a vaccines failure has been blamed on those that didn't get the vaccine. When I was a kid they came out with the polio vaccine. Almost no one got polio after that. I got COVID after taking the vaccine. In simple terms the vaccine doesn't work as advertised. It has about the same effectiveness as the flu vaccine. I am sorry I took the vaccine

• Like Like x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think if you look at all his assistants who have gotten head coaching jobs and there has been a lot of them, the two things that stand out most are
    1.) None of them have the level of complete control that Belicheck has over the Patriots. A case could be made that Josh McDaniels was the closest to it when he was jettisoning good players in Denver to build his team but he was fired long before he could finish.

2.) They lack Belicheck's OCD anal intensity that would force them to go as far as hiring video crews to record teams illegal so he has the data. You can't teach that it is who he is.

Other coaches like Walsh, Parcells, Gibbs Noll, Vermiel. Those guys had schemes and systems that their staff can learn and adapt. Belicheck's way needs Belicheck to function. So hiring his guys doesn't mean you have access to the Patriot way per se but it does have a certain upside to it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    the question ............... is the answer.

there just ain't much there, if you will....

you say 'doesn't seem', you are being polite - try DOES NOT EXIST.

18. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    it took four rounds of polio vaccines to knock it out.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, but as I said before...just using Cowhers huge tree LoL. (Not exactly how it sounds)...nobody really did much... a successful year here and there, and fired. So...:shrug:

20. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Just for comparison’s sake I looked at John Harbaugh’s coaching tree because he’s coached around the same amount of time as Tomlin.

The guys in his tree have all been fired lol.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I am by no means a Tomlin fan, but by using Bellicheat as an argument, youve lost. Belicheats coaching tree is like a fence post. Ain't none of his assistants who went on to coach done Jack ****.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Every year it's the same issue. You have a handful of hot new candidates from successful programs that owners fall in love with but who don't fit that particular team. They are hired and fired before they reach their 4th year. I mean it was Pete Carroll's guys a few years ago, then it was Saleh who actually has done some good work with the Jets, it hasn't shown on the scoreboard yet but you can see a culture shift.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    No one argues that recognizing talent, whether it be coaching or playing, and developing that talent is a very important part of any leadership position in any business.

The problem is that the coaching tree is just a bad metric of that ability. The coaching tree is meaningless. It's interesting from a curiosity standpoint, but otherwise useless.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Arians was on the Steelers staff before Tomlin got there. Nice try

25. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Tomlin wasn't hired to create coaching trees. He was hired to help the Steelers win games. He helped the organization succeed in that regard since he was hired.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1