1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Coach Tomlin. We're going to wallow in our stench

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rollers, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Here's an interesting take from Coach:

During Mike Tomlin’s tenure as Pittsburgh Steelers head coach, you can count on one hand the number of games the team played as ugly as last Sunday’s humiliating loss to the Cincinnati Bengals.

This is a fact not missed on head coach Mike Tomlin when he spoke to the media on Tuesday. According to Tomlin, the Steelers are going to “wallow in our stench for while and wait for next opportunity to play football.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Like I’ve said Tomlin spends more time coming up with sayings lol

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Sits around thinking up dumb ass sayings ..more than trying to think up defensive schemes

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    What does that even mean,? are they not even gonna try and correct the problems,? Or they just gonna do what they do:facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    how does he correct not having 4/5 of defensive line? How does he correct 3rd stringer starting at lg? I will wait with bated breath for your masterful insight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Your excuses for this team is getting old, you play / win with the players you have .. or get on down the road

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    or you play/lose with the players you have. If your varsity players are hurt, you have to use the JV players. If they're not as good as the guys on the other side of the ball, how is that on coaching?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Draft better lol

• Like Like x 1
  10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    i asked you a legitimate question. Still waiting for something resembling an intelligent response from you. Can you come up with one? Or is it just more of the same fire tomlin derp derp derp?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I would think that a coach has a few missions in life:
    =get the players you need to win or back up starters along with the GM or whomever is in charge of doing so
    =actually coach the players you have to improve their performance, unless you think they are as good as they'll ever be when they join
    =develop a game plan to mitigate weaknesses on the team and put players into position to succeed.
    How is losing to guys on the other side line a coaching issue? I have no idea. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You can't have an entire roster of 1st string talent. Is TJ Watt a great player because of coaching, or natural talent? If all of your backups were as good as the guys they were replacing, they'd all want to be paid like it. Is there another Can Heyward on the PS? If so, bring him up! Who has the luxury of having a team full of starters?

• Like Like x 1
  13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011

Wallowing in the Stench stings the nostrils....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

And general managers do get the players they think will start or be effective backups within the salary cap and the teams available cap space. Those players also have to fit the teams scheme. Just because player a is good at x doesn’t mean he’s good at y. You can’t adjust your entire scheme for one player. The results will be abysmal.

Sometimes it doesn’t matter how much coaching you do. All players have their ceilings. For some players that ceiling is high enough to limit the effect of losing a starter.

15. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    He is right. There is nothing Tomlin can do, thus Tomlin cannot bear any blame for this season due to the injuries.

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Well their is a lot of low ceiling players then after the main starters. And that's not on the coaching? And I mean all the coaches not just Tomlin. Add Colbert in the mix as well. But Tomlin has a hand in picking these players. Your ok with a decade of deep playoff drought as long as they have a winning season I suppose. Most are not. They need a change at the helm. A fresh approach. I can wait for the turnaround. I don't feel this will happen under Tomlin/Colbert. Hope i'm wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They just put in a new crane game at practice for the stench...

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    so coaches don’t sign players. Well only one coach in the league wears the cap of both coach and gm. The rest of the league the coaches have to deal with the team the general manager assembles. That doesn’t mean a coach doesn’t have input, but a coach doesn’t sign players, negotiate contracts etc. The tl/dr version- coaches coach.

with that out of the way how is it the coaches fault if a player has a lower ceiling? Whether it’s from an intelligence standpoint or pure physical ability? Or both?

19. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I dunno, scheme around weaknesses and not just spout "next man up"? Do you see any game plan changes to overcome? FFS, they sat their best healthy NT last week. Buggs isn't great, but when you're that short on bodies he needs to be in there.

On offense, what have they done but run the same goddamn horizontal passing game with the occasional deep 50/50 ball down the right sideline?

They've had the same issues dating back a full season of games and can't fix any of them.

20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    bag of excuses.

look at the Rats and all of their IR problems.

We are an excuse making organization, have been under tomlin for years. He should have been in Tuitts skull and not babying him - shame on Tuitt for wasting this full year! on the DLINE, find better depth. We are down 2 men - what about the other sad sacks? With LG, figure it out. Help with a TE, scheme better.

enough of the BS excuses, heard them for years.

the late season Tomlin swoon is upon us. Look our last 5 seasons and December. We SUCK!

21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    you want to go with the ravens? How is their run game outside of Jackson? Shame on tuitt? Find better depth? Lmao

yet more well thought out drivel from the usual suspects.

22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You start small. First admit there is an issue and has been one since the loss of Alualu. Next it starts on Monday with film breakdown by the coaches and then meeting with Tomlin to form a plan. Next breakdown film with the complete unit not position groups or position coaches, Tomlin and the Defense as a whole and the offense as a whole. Question each player on what thier role is on the play they are highlighting and don't move on until you are sure that they know their role. Then break by position and drive it home more. Wednesday practice drill it in them until it becomes memory. Install the game plan and practice it. Friday test them and test them hard. If they don't know their role they sit and the guy who does will play. Work the problem don't ignore or hide from it or create colorful phrases that dismiss the failure to address problems. Get to work.

That's what I'd do but I will most likely be told I don't know that it isn't happening. Which is entirely possible but if it was the odds of things being corrected would have gone up by now.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    since you’ve already addressed the obvious point let’s go to one slightly less obvious. How many padded practices are allowed in a season? How many are allowed on consecutive days?

24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Perhaps buggs wasn’t up to the task? Maybe he was one of the players that wasn’t playing their assignments? But, but tomlin too stupid to notice these things and do anything about it.

25. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    During the last couple of weeks they've fielded defenses with guys named Tuszka and Archibong on the field, when it should have been Ingram and Buggs. They also have the DBs and OL they planned on winning with, minus the guard issue you mentioned.

They're lying in the bed they made.