1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin has been the Steelers head coach for 14 years -- why no coaching tree?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Nov 30, 2021.

1. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The Steelers would have been able to beat Belichick at least one time if they'd done what was necessary to do that: bring in a staff with a proven track record of playing Bill tough. But they were never going to move on from Tomlin, who only ever managed to beat Bill when he brought in an outside consultant to form a gameplan. Such a joke

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Interesting --- "being in the moment" as a coaching philosophy. First time I've heard of that approach used for coaching in the NFL.

Sounds better suited for a yoga teacher.

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The one and only time he deviated from it was that I'll fated 2nd year with Maddox where they tried to become an air attack with ground and pound personnel and it didn't work. Disaster of a season.

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yep. 2003... remember it well. However, it did net the Steelers a #11 pick which worked out pretty good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    A lot of the strange things Tomlin does begin to make sense when you realize he isn't the captain of his ship he is just the navigator.

6. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    So if the Head Coach isn't the captain, who is?

7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Maybe because they keep winning and we'd like our franchise to do the same?

• Like Like x 1
  8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Art Lucky Sperm the 2nd.

9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Coaching tree means dick at this point. We suck and need to do something now. Worry about tree limbs later. Indicator of how good a coach is goes by W's and L's and most importantly, rings. Tomlin has a good record because he is a good coach. It's just that time has come for a changing of the guard and fresh ideas or his record going forward may not be so good. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    In raising analogy the players steer the ship Tomlin guides them. Benny if you look at any season Mike Tomlin has coached each season is its own. His press conferences he will refer to this journey. He talks about conversations with men and those things frame their journey. You rarely hear him talk about putting his stamp on a team or enforcing rules like ending the ping pong games or benching one of key members on offense for violating the no recording in the locker room. You won't hear him breaking guys to his will and building them back up. It's not his style, he shows you the way, how you travel it is up to you.

Edit: I really need to proofread with my chubby fingers

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I would hardly call Poison Ivy a tree.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Unfortunately there's an Ice Berg straight ahead and they are traveling at full throttle.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    So in essence a pussy?

14. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Honestly he is Tony Dungy which isn't bad but not a tough love type of guy.

• Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I for one liked both Arians, and Haley. Hell I got into a pretty good argument with one of my family members about Arians when he was still Here. Because He bought into all the internet crap going around about Arians sucking.

16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    If that's true then if he leaves the Steelers the next year we'll win it all with another coach like what the Bucs did.

17. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Obviously Tomlin is anti-tree.

18. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I can sorta see how you would think that but I think they are worlds apart.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    He wasn't the greatest because he let Ben do whatever he wanted. But the fact they let him go after the Tim Tebow defensive debacle was insane. Because you know cutting ties with Dick Lebeau was sacrilege.

• Like Like x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Actually you could use that about almost every guy under so,and so's coaching tree...most have coached other places before being under Belichick, and whomever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Also a question.
    Though before that I'd like 2 say I Loved Bill Cowher as a coach, but that said...out of all the branches he had ....how many bore fruit....did anything worthwhile of mentioning????:shrug:
    Same with Belichick???

22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Whisenhunt for a brief time period, he did make the SB. Haslett stuck around in the league for awhile. But the point is that other teams are impressed with the head coach's body of work that they're interested in their staff. Nobody's interested in Tomlin's supporting cast which doesn't look good on him. There's nothing special this team is doing that others are taking notice.

• Like Like x 1
  23. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    That's why the whole coaching tree thing is a complete canard.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Cowher was Marty Jr., except made a Super appearance in his 4th season. Cowher learned his lesson and in 2005 he gambled more in the Super Bowl XL run.

• Like Like x 1
  25. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    This is a trait off all good bosses / leaders. Don’t care if its a coach or a person in business that manages others. If your subordinates move on to bigger and better things or get promotions , etc it is a key indicator that they are exceptional leaders. The best coaches have a nice line of people they helped move up the ranks. It is also indicative of others recognizing and coveting that greatness.

Its fair to say the league doesn’t regard MT as a great coach otherwise they would go after his employees. Cowher dealt with this almost every year. Granted he also liked to hire coaches he could help mold. Tomlin seems to be more interested in older veteran coaches that bring their own plans…. that largely have not excelled with consistent greatness.