1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What will it take or what has to happen…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Nov 28, 2021.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    For Art Rooney to finally come to his senses and realize that changes need to be made within the organization with someone finally sitting Ben down and telling him that you’re done once and for all, and for Tomlin to be held accountable and finally be on the hot seat. I mean what is good enough for this Steelers organization anymore. Just having a winning season?? Making the playoffs but not even winning a game in the playoffs?? I mean I just don’t get what this Steelers team is doing anymore. They have no identity and I just think a lot of people in the organization both coaches and front office people are in denial. And the longer this continues to go on moving forward where nobody within the organization recognizes their isn’t a problem the worse the problem is gonna get.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    That sad truth is, as long as Art Rooney is alive, and Mike Tomlin is willing, Tomlin will continue to be the head coach.

So to answer your question, Rooney would have to die. That's what it would take. A bit morbid but it is the absolute truth.

4. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Oh I’m with you for sure. Art Rooney is a huge huge problem right now within this organization more then people realize because of his unwillingness and stubbornness to want to make a change and because of the tradition he wants to uphold of having only 3 coaches in 52 years. I honestly think things like this are more important to Rooney then winning Super Bowls. The bottom line here is right now this team has no direction or identity moving forward. Mike Tomlin does not want to rebuild this team and is scared to death when Ben finally leaves and that’s why nobody has the balls within this organization. All the proof we needed of that was yesterday when Ben refused to come out of the game when it was 41-3 and Tomlin didn’t tell him to come out of the game. That tells you all you need to know about who is calling the shots in this organization.

Tell me or show me one thing that Mike Tomlin is doing with either this offense or defense that gets you excited about the future?? This team is on the verge of going 5 straight years without winning a playoff game which has never happened in the history of the Steelers. But all we hear about is how Tomlin has never had a losing season. That matters more within the organization rather then winning playoff games. But again I’m with you Art Rooney is a huge huge problem within the organization right now and until he adapts or is willing to change his way of thinking not much if anything at all will change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Starkey is right on all counts. Injuries have played a role, but they can't be the excuse for all of this. I'm not lining up with the gloom and doom crowd and insisting that the team will be terrible for a decade. Teams can rebuild far too quickly for that to be true, but they do need major changes and they should start with the coaching staff.

I called for Tomlin to be fired in 2018. I softened my stance a little because I thought he and his staff did an amazing job with the 2019 team, but things have only gotten worse since then. If they aren't going to fire him after this season, at the very least, most of his assistant coaches need to go.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    When Ben throws for 571 more yards and 12 more TDs. Then he will have passed Philip Rivers in both categories and hold all records for the class of 2004.

Starting to wonder if that's why he came back in the first place.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Rooney talked tough 2 years in a row... after finishing last in the League in rushing he stated "This is NOT Steelers Football, and will NOT be accepted " !!!!!!!! Arghhhh! Grrrrrr!

And then do nothing ( maybe he though Najee was the something ) Idk, but him and Tomlin are EXACTLY the same!

They talk tough,but are the absolute opposite of tough! It's actually comical how soft they are

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Really? Weren't the Steelers around before the 70s?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You don't really believe that?

10. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Tomlin will leave on his own terms, period. He has better job security than the Pope, Santa Clause and a justice on the Supreme Court combined. Anyone who doesn't realize this is delusional.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Many of us have been saying the same things all year, it didn't become true simply because a beat writer typed it into Wordpress.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I am not so sure that would be enough as the culture within the family may have spread throughout and, as this family is concerned, its next man up, rinse and repeat. No, I think Tomlin himself has to make it clear he wants to move on and then, if the Rooney's don't talk him out of it, something could happen. Then after it is all said and done, the next coach will be around for a good decade so they better use whatever tools they have to find a good one. My God, wouldn't it be a Greek Tragedy if the picked our next coach from within? With these guys, nothing is impossible if the price is low enough. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    It's the end of Tomlin, due to he wouldn't move on from big Ben. If he wanted Ben to stay and Ben wanted to stay, then you have to take a significant pay cut, due to having to surround him with better players.

But that time has passed.

We are not getting a QB in the draft. Unless we get the first guy. The rest that will go in the first round are projects that should be going in the second wave third round....... (Some of y'all are living in a lala land thinking we can get a QB in the draft).

Therefore we have to trade for a QB. Or make a big statement for a defense, as well a offensive line.

14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Well, he almost added 1, and nearly 2 P6s to his resume. Ben was terrible most of the game. With all of the BS regarding how this team depends on Ben playing to win games, how can anyone with any common sense keep this priceless asset in a game that is long gone risking further injury? MR haters will throw in the trash talk regarding the backup QBs and MTs confidence in them but this is totally and completely irrelevant to the outcome of the game. I'm talking about not getting Ben hurt any further as he looks to have banged up his throwing arm yet again. There is more here than meets the eye's I believe. JMO>

15. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    I mean they have made changes within the coaching staff on offense with getting rid of Haley and Coach Randy the last 2-3 years and on offensive line as well a bunch of times and things don’t change. Keith Butler still remains but Tomlin we are told calls the plays on defense. And Bazooka Joe Danny Smith remains as the Special Teams coach. Mike Tomlin is the constant here and common denominator and like you mentioned things aren’t getting better they are getting worse under his watch. The team has collapsed the last 4 seasons in 2017 with the embarrassing playoff loss to the Jags, in 2018 they were 7-2-1 and missed the playoffs and lost 4 of their last 6 games, in 2019 they were 8-5 and in playoff position and lost their last 3 games and finished 8-8 and missed the playoffs. And last year they started 11-0 and lost 5 of their last 6 games which culminated getting blown out by the Browns at home in the playoffs.

So this isn’t just a one time thing it’s a trend and it’s on the verge of happening again this year too. Something is wrong and is missing within the organization and I think as long as both Tomlin is the coach and Ben is the QB it will not change. Both need to go and until they do not much will improve or change.

16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Can't run the ball and now can't stop the run.

Used to be two staples of the Steelers organization, now its an after thought. Rooney can't be too happy.

17. theotherbigben

theotherbigben Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Nobody's saying jack about Keith Butler. Dude has more first round picks on his defense to work with and they're a dumpster fire

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Just because they’re 1st rnd picks doesn’t mean they’re good. Have you not seen Bush play this year?

the only talent on this unit: Watt, Cam, and Minkah. Alulua and Haden have been hurt. So please explain to me exactly how Butler has been given so much talent. Thats total bs.

Bush has been a total disaster and we have zero depth at any position. Edmunds was a well documented reach and has largely disappointed his entire career. The head coach , front office, and scouting dept are responsible for the talent.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If we have a losing record down the stretch, I think Ben will just retire on his own accord. You don't need to worry about ownership.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes I think that is likely how it’ll play out.

21. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I don't think it'd be bad to be put on a hot seat and see what happens. Whatever they are currently doing is not working. I like Tomlin personally, but they have some questionable game plans. All teams deal with injuries, so I don't like that as an excuse. They've made some really poor draft choices(edmunds & bush). Without haden in the lineup the secondary is really a glaring weakness and our ILB's blow. I miss the days of teams not being able to run the ball against us, but we went from pushing others around to being pushed around. I really question the overall team toughness.

22. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Agreed. Ben is a FA so there’s no need for Ben to dictate the decision. If he doesn’t get an offer he’s done.

Realistically the team is probably financially not able to pay him. I think he counts $10m against the cap before we pay him a penny. He’d have to take near the vet minimum or the team will need to ignore other problems to keep Ben around. Watt took Ben’s $.

Edmunds, JuJu, Washington, Haden, Ebron, Turner, Okafor, and others are free agents. Replacing them does not even address the other issues like D-line, WR, OT, Center, and LB. We can’t possibly draft this many starters and there’s only so much cap space to pay free agents. I don’t see how this team can be competitive next season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Who said that it did? Nobody, but I see you are looking to pick as many fights as possible today.

24. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Since they won’t fire Tomlin both coordinators should be fired hire the best two you can and Mike can stay out of the way and wear his shades on the sideline

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I do. Rooney wants Tomlin as his coach. As long as he is in control of the Steelers, Tomlin is your coach. I am certainly not wishing ill on Rooney in any way.

• Like Like x 1