1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Failure to adjust

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    What's sad is not understanding that people post to share their opinions and passion for their team, and for some, they feel the need to ridicule those for doing so. "Sharing their lack of knowledge"??? No one on this board, no one, knows any more about what is going on with this team than anyone else unless you are a player, coach, or work in the front office. If you aren't part of that group. then it's all opinion and speculation and anyone's opinions are as valid as anyone else's. Yes, this is a game and it's meant for spectators to be entertained. There are many things that this team does that are not enjoyable as well as many that are. Its entertainment and people can either enjoy it or not. That doesn't mean they dislike their team because they want it to do better. Many have thoughts of what they like or dislike and that is a good thing because it allows for different perspectives on what others would do. That's part of being fan. How this thread veered off from "Failure to Adjust" to where it ended up is one thing that really is sad. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Feel the same way but it's our team and need to weather the storm until real changes take place. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think we could upgrade from Butler but the team is too cheap to hire anyone better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    We scored what 27 in the 4th? I'd attribute that to adjustments

As for the defense, adjustments won't make a lame mule plow. We'll get back key players next week and boy did we learn how valuable Minka is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I understand completely. However, making claims that a coach doesn’t make adjustments or can’t isn’t just stating an opinion. The simple truth is most will never notice one unless it’s pointed out to them. They are rarely big moves and aren’t wholesale changes to your game plan. People throw it out there because they think it sounds good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

That’s only part of what Tomlin said. He continued with we needed 7 in coverage and 5 rushing, like they do up north.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    People keep making references to the Steelers making adjustments in the Lions game to their use of three tackles and an unbalanced line.
    The adjustment was the Lions third tackle got hurt and left the game. We had a third tackle dressed ( Banner) I think he was in for one play, maybe we could of used a three tackle heavy set to improve the running game.

I do think playing man to man might have been easier with such a makeshift back field against the Chargers.
    Once it was pointed out what Herbert was reading I am surprised he didn't run for 150 yds.
    Heyward and Highsmith played as well as they could but both were being double teamed most of the game because there were no other threats from the rest of the front seven.
    The dline is really just Heyward. Tuitt ,Alualu, Davis and even Loudermilk would be getting all the snaps if healthy. Buggs Wormley and Mondeaux might not be dressed if the others were healthy.
    Currently our dline is one DPOY one second string and one third string or practice squad guy.

9. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    You are right and that's why I choose not engage in some discussions. The threads are constantly derailed with BS that is tangential to the original point. It gets old really quickly, I don't tolerate BS very well, the older I get either, so I just disengage.

We have some folks on the board who want to have good discussions but most times we can't.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Excellent post man. All the homers are blinded by reality. This team now has subpar talent as well as a subpar head coach we are 5-4-1 which is very average however are trending down. This year is a glimpse of what is to come. Enjoy it homers because this is the last time you will see mediocrity for a long time.

12. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

one other thing for You people claiming tomlin doesn’t make adjustments. You act as if coaches have some magic wand that can fix everything at half time and tomlin refuses to use it. The reality is teams have 12 minutes to get into the locker room and get back onto the field for warmups. Twelve minutes to use the bathroom,get equipment adjustments, visit with trainer if needed, eat and drink etc. Let that sink in, 12 minutes. You’re not making giant changes at half time. You’ve just heard the adjustments from sideline reporters you believe it’s some magic cure all.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  13. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    The most Tomlin thing ever was halftime of the Seahawks game. Pete Carroll - We need to run the ball to make it easier for a young QB. Tomlin - I think they will come out throwing. Seahawks proceed to run it down our throats for a quarter and a half.

14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    True, but we're not talking about needing a cosmic shift in the universe. We're talking about watching what individual players are doing and then telling players how to react, where to move pre-snap, what looks to give, where to look/move after the snap, etc. The fact that Herbert saw and exploited the middle of the field the whole game tells me that he was being coached. There were obviously people on the sideline telling him what the LBs and secondary were doing and how to exploit it. To me that is an example of where chargers made an adjustment and the Steelers didnt. It doesn't need to be massive and should be happening throughout the game. These guys are pros and the best in the world at their craft (players and coaches). So, I'm sure these adjustments are being made because it happens at every other level. The effectiveness of the adjustments might be an issue.

15. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Every team does. Even the Steelers. Every freaking game you see players on the sidelines with coaches tablets in hand going over what they’re seeing and how they’re going to change it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    because coaches reveal their hands to the media

please follow through with your boycott

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm agreeing with you in case that wasn't clear. I'm merely critiquing the efficacy of said adjustments after the fact, which is easy to do.

18. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    That also may be the most Carroll thing said. Geno Smith has been in the league since 2013. He’s far from young

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It isn't as complicated as you are making it sound either. They don't need minute by minute analytics and a two week film break down to identify that having a LBer on a speedy WR in the slot is a mismatch and you need to adjust personnel and scheme to prevent it. It can be as simple as jamming the receiver hard at the line and having a safety bracket him over the top and make sure both players involved play the man instead of watching the QB.

On run plays where they are selling motion in one direction hard and the running back continually cuts back in an open lane it's as simple as Jerry telling his guys track the ball carrier and not the line motion. It's not a huge adjustment but it's cleaning up sloppy play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

And they do

for the record you’re referencing a bash concept. With that being said telling someone to do their job by tracking the ball isn’t an adjustment. That’s what they’ve been coached to do their entire lives. Here’s a good example for you. We were getting gashed by a qb on read options. Started the game with linebackers trying to protect against the dive and the option. Linebackers weren’t up to the task. We adjusted by putting minka on the qb basically running a cover zero. But, tomlin never makes adjustments. We do it every single game, but until y’all are smacked in the head with a dead trout you’ll never admit it.

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You are splitting hairs whether attention to detail is an adjustment or not depends on your point of view. I know that Tomlin makes adjustments in games as I'm willing to bet most people know as well but frustration causes exaggeration especially after a close game that results in a loss. That being said it often looks like a late adjustment because the results are still happening until they aren't.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    This was the first offensive adjustment I've seen out of this team in a year and a half. That was the first game going back to 2019 that we abandoned the dink / dunk offense that we have ran for almost two seasons. We started running a hurry up at times and Ben was calling audibles at the LOS which I haven't seen in a while. Yes the offense made adjustments finally....after tying the 0-8 lions and we lost. Also remember we did not adjust in the redzone all game. We ran the same stupid pass plays in the redzone we always do. I think the offense was responsible for 14 points in the 4th quarter. INT and blocked punt saved the day. We don't score 30 points against the worst defense in football with out those two defensive plays.

Can you recall the last time we can say the offense did their job to win the game , we lost because of the defense? It's been a while. For Tomlin to call out the defensive game plan is comical to me. Prior to Alulua's injury we had one of the best defenses in the league. That unit has kept us alive all season. We lose to maybe the best offense in the league and now Tomlin is calling people out. Friggen hilarious. Sorry but Mike has jumped the shark.

23. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    The Seattle and Detroit game were perfect examples of the D not adjusting. Second half of Seattle we kept in the same prevent type D concerned about Geno Smith beating us because we were up 14-0 until we are basically tied in a nail bitter. Why would they not stack the line and shoot every gap with 7 guys once they saw what was happening right away?? It took them until the end of the 4th to start doing that

Move Forward to the Detroit team an 0 fer horrible team and yet they basically out schemed us. We had Mason in bad weather what did they do? Have 6/7 guys on the line in the box taking away the run meanwhile they have Goff who honestly looked like a guy playing at a HS level. Yet we don’t just completely stack the line and take away the run daring Goff to beat us and get shredded by Swift and co. We are too stubborn the standard is the standard we do what we do BS. That might work when you are a super talented team not with this crap.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    So can you, "bro".

• Like Like x 1
  25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I can handle it.