1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sideline observations

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    This is just from the network feed, so may be a misrepresentation, but two thoughts:
    • It was annoying to see multiple shots of Ben on the sidelines seemingly watching the defense play, when most other QBs I see are looking at photos or videos or at least talking to their coach, receivers, or backup. Especially after a stalled drive. I know he has a reputation for not being a student of the game, but really.
    • Shots of Butler on the sidelines explain the defense - no fire, passion, or enthusiasm, and he looks completed disheveled. Disheveled is a good word to describe our defense.
    Does the all 22 have a camera focused on the coaches? That'd be interesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They did show Ben looking at stuff with Dobbs... I still don't get the whole Dobbs as consigliere thing?

• Like Like x 2
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    They showed big Ben and Claypool looking over stuff.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Tomlin didn`t even look to interested last night.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I thought it was funny that Butler was wearing his credentials necklace, like he can’t get on the sideline because no one knows who he is Hahahahahahaha!

unless it was his Disneyland pass.

6. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    They did show Ben looking at the tablet and talking with someone who I believe is the QB coach. He was also discussing things with Dobbs. BTW, if Rudolph was running the first team in practice and reviewing the tapes all week, why wasn’t he in there giving advice or input?

Butler just looks like Gomer Pyle at times. Coaches like Gomer Pyle most of the time.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Shazam!

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Sideline demeanor, and fan interpretation of it, is nearly completely useless IMO. Unless it's a fight, or other Buddy Ryan or AB-like blow-up, I don't think it means a thing.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we like to see "fire", or talking to players or whatever we equate with coaching, but few of us really know. Hell, when was the last time you saw Belichik get "fired up". Different people do things in different ways and TBH, if my boss went ape**it in public I'd probably be less likely to work hard for him. (Granted I don't play football.)

As for Ben, I'm not a fan of him at all, but I'm not going to question how he goes about his business. The guy's a HoFer, for pete's sake. An aging, over the hill, decrepit one, but he knows better than me how to do his job well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    You’re reaching.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Some people Just can't stop... no matter what ...looking for reasons 2 blame Ben. LoL. It's crazy.
    Also Ben running a so call game plan for Mason looked a lot better than Mason running a so called game plan for Ben. I believe that's how all the Ben hating Mason apologist put it last week. :shrug:
    Also I'm not hating on Mason. I still Hope He proves everyone wrong ,and Does extremely Well next chance He gets Here. As long as He has that Steelers Helmet on.....I will root for Him.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  11. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    "Pop had Genco, look what I got!"

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben goes over stuff with Dobbs all the time on the sidelines, what are you watching?

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    He’s probably the smartest guy on the sideline

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    There is not a single coach on the Steelers with a play book in their hands on the sidelines.

15. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Is he "actually" a rocket scientist, or did he just stay at a Holiday Inn last night?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Thanks for straightening me out. I still think Butler looks lost.

17. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I don’t get an 18 year vet needing one

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I don't know Brady has his guys and a full time mechanics coach so...

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Yeah but that's the physical side. Maybe he does has a guru, but I don't recall ever seeing him run over to the sideline to ask a backup to explain coverages to him.

20. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    How on earth do you know what they are discussing? Perhaps Ben and Dobbs like to go over plays that worked and ones that didnt to see how they can improve the next series. Maybe just maybe Ben trusts his opinion more than he trusts Canada's at this point. In any case, it never hurts to go over things with someone else to gain perspective and insight. if you want to find blame for something, blame the coaches for the talent they are putting on the field and look at the talent they left on the practice squad that was picked clean and playing well for other teams. This staff has run its course and its time for some new creativity and fire.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Only book TOMLIN knows how to read is one on slick cliches

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The coaches don't have play books on the sidelines, they have play sheets or whatever it's called.

• Like Like x 1
  23. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

I've seen several teams with anything from 5"X7" index cards, 9"X11" Play sheets, 11"X18" color coded flip sheets and in college some 4'x4' cartoons and memes. I have also seen some sideline coaches with nothing at all as well but that is usually only isolated to a HC with head phones. Our play calling is so bad at the moment that maybe they should put it up on the big screen in Stadiums to give them some options. Maybe they could even spell out that with 3 minutes in the game you should bleed the clock before scoring your final points while trying to take the lead.:hmm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They weren't going to run the ball to bleed the clock because Najee was still in concussion protocol, so try again :shrug:.

25. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Put Watt, Derek in there and hand him the ball for $3,000,000 a year and I guarantee we win that game but everybody in the organization is an idiot and can't see any solution to a challenging situation.