1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What was the point of Ben's "IDK Shrug" to the sideline on Sunday. He did it twice in a row?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    What was the point of that "IDK Shrug" on Sunday.

Was this letting Tomlin know that he didn't call that stupid ass play..... And, then 5 second later he did it again. Making sure that everyone in the Stadium new exactly what he thought of the play.

Is this Ben throwing Canada under the Bus for trying to run a Jet Sweep at the goal line? And then doing it again to make sure it was broadcast on TV to the Sunday Night audience?

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My first guess is he wanted three throws into the endzone instead of a rehash of the 4 plays that didn't work from the 5 yard line earlier. It was funny after the PI call on Claypool that kept a drive alive and Al and Chris were talking crap about Steeler fans wanting a FB and to run the ball there and how that was just going extinct in the NFL, they went dbl TE Set jumbo package with a FB and damn if they didn't dominate the LOS and Harris went over the top to score. It might be going extinct but it works.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I seriously think he was saying the play calling bit. Every time we get in a hurry up and Ben calls the play we score, we pick up momentum.

I can guarantee if we done more offense like this we would move the ball and score more.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I honestly didn't see it but only heard about it. I was probably too busy rolling my eyes at the play call. I'd say that's what Ben was conveying through his body movements but once again I didn't see it so I really don't know. Not willing to rewatch that garbage either.

• Like Like x 1
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The play calling was more appropriate for when your rolling and everything works so you can try dumb pass plays that do get past the LOS.

6. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    to keep things positive: this week Ben will have a chance to voice his concerns and complaints about the play calling. Let's look for some diplomacy and productive discussions that will drive toward improved offensive play calling that every one is on board with

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/11/b...ke-to-use-the-clock-and-finish-that-game-off/

the play calls were bad, i don't blame ben. clock management was stupid on the go ahead drive. passing to stop the clock? i was going crazy yelling how dumb they truly are at times. jet sweeps and the shuffle pass at the goal line with a back like harris and a 3 million dollar FB. i believe these coaches confuse the players for the most part. the coaching sucks. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

This deserved 5 winner awards from me. I can't believe Tomlin has been a HC in the NFL for a decade and a half yet still can't manage a game clock to save his life. Frustrating I tell ya. High School coaches are better at it than he is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think it was directed at Canada, the playcalling was terrible.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    yeah but wasn't one of those shrugs on an audible? Maybe coaches call the audible too, I thought QBs got to make that read.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I don't know who it was to, what it meant, or why he did it, just that it didn't look good. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    It’s Ben’s fault!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That last go ahead drive was baffling. Already in FG range and you stop the clock multiple times?

They should have at least drained 2 minutes off right there. Then the asininely dumb TO on defense...

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Buy stock in Dunkin Donuts, the forum cops appear to all be taking a break.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Posters Opinions Matter!!!

No Comments! No Beef!

16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Probably something as simple as “we got the look we wanted, but they called an audible”.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    I don’t think Ben likes any of the plays Canada calls plus we have a head coach listening to the calls and saying nothing as usual. I hope when Ben retires that they offer him the IC job and hope he takes it.

18. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Ben is admittedly not a "student" of the game. He likes to just play, there's a reason there's no stories about how he spends all his off-time in the film room and we never once heard about how inquisitive he was during team sessions.

19. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Or those posts are referencing legitimately bad play calling/time management in a game.

To quote you again, not a hard concept.