1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offensive Line: Better, Worse, or Same as last year?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by KMM, Nov 22, 2021.

1. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I ask because after the end of the last season we all knew that the O-line was going to be completely rebuilt and, I think, most of us were thinking, "Well it can't get any worse." I guess that statement has held considering my own belief is that they're playing at the same crappy level they did last year despite a complete personnel overhaul.

What sayeth the forum?

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Before the injuries the run blocking was definitely better. They are also nastier than the last couple years. In past years they were just soft and got zero push. Pass blocking is up and down. Some games they’re better and others they’re worse. Haeg got schooled on those last two sacks. Dotson can’t come back soon enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Don’t remember the Center last year getting beat up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He's really getting a lot of hands into his helmet and neck area when he gets pushed around. He's got to find a way to stop that from happening, because they aren't calling it for some reason.

The line also had a setback mid game because JC got hurt as well.

I think the rookies have hit that rookie wall. Can't do anything about it except play through.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Kendrick Green makes Sean Mahan look like Mike Webster

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  6. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    About the same but improving

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    It's a work in progress. Need to see how they end up. I would hope each game it gets better than the last so who knows. If having to pick, I'd say better than late LY because we were so incredibly anemic in every facet of the offense. Now I see sparks here and there of OL trying. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Nearly every replay shown of a LAC defender against a PIT lineman, we saw hands to the face. Not a single one was called.

:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I will say better just because at least there is an upside with this group. The two rookies and even Dotson should be better going into years two and three than they are right now.

Last season we saw some really good players bottom out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Worse, especially in pass pro. AV was a whipping boy and while he did decline, he wasn't a revolving door like Moore, Jr.

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Definitely worse. But sometimes you have to take a step backwards in order to take a couple steps forward.
    Hopefully we get a couple more solid pieces for the puzzle in the off-season. Time will tell.

12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Can we get Ray Mansfield back?;) And he was drafted as a defensive tackle.

13. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    It’s worse, but not much worse. Considering they’ve been starting 2 rookies and a second-year player most of the season it’s about what you’d expect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Hard knocks come and then their is the reward. It's a rebuild. They are improving slightly. So I would say better then last year.

Last years line was hard to watch. All the veteran players that turned into jelly. I still think that Pouncey snap is in outer space.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    It's worse but at least these guys might get better. The old guys were done.

Dotson is really good. Green is learning and needs to keep doing so. At worst, I think he makes a solid RG. I have not been a fan of Oko but he's been better. Not sure about Moore at all; swing OT maybe? Turner is okay but not part of the future and the other vet depth stinks. If they add a good LT and another IOL, draft or FA, we'll be in good shape.

• Like Like x 2
  16. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Definitely worse and please stop all the apologist comments about starting 2 rookies and how young they are. This argument doesn't hold water when you compare to KC.

KC was in the same boat with a crap OL which killed them in the SB. They made a commitment to getting better and protecting their investment behind center. How did they totally revamp their OL and are starting 3 rookies including a 6th rounder. PFF has them ranked 2nd best OL in the league. Pitt is 28th.

You can't blame it on Ben either because he is getting the ball out quickly. Run blocking is garbage and even though they were improving, they put up a whopping 55 rushing yds against the chargers with the WORST rushing defense in the NFL. 5 of their 10 games this season, they rushed for only 75 yds or less including a season low 39 freaking yards against the black hole.

This OL sucks and their collective potential sucks too. So stop talking about how they need to gel. No. They need better talent. They need better coaching. They need to spend more time at the weight pile.

17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Young kids are like Who? But even for 36, I know my Steelers history and Ray Mansfield was a dude for the Steelers in the day that I guess Joe Greene lit him up at his first training camp practice in 1969.

• Like Like x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Worse for certain. The growing pains may actually be turning into deadly injuries that could derail the season. Continuity is essential for any Offensive Line; a young unit doubly so and no less.

The continual form of musical chairs has not assisted this line at all. Within that same token, neither has their performance; Dan Moore Jr doubly so. Kendrick Green has no doubt taken his lumps a great deal but since week 7, no other Steelers Offensive Lineman has taken more than Moore. As expected though as he is the Left Tackle and will generally draw the best EDGE on the opposing team. Regardless, no excuses.

They have to play better from here on out.... as it will not get any easier moving forward.

19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    yeah no just no just stand there in your wrongness.

20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Knox have you watched the Chiefs games? I have tried to watch when they are on because I have Hill in fantasy and a few times he has saved my bacon. Now admitedly I am not looking at PFF and what they grade on but the line is not as great as advertised either. Andy Reid is doing a lot of things to try and get the ground game going and Mahomes has taken some real shots this season as well. From what I have seen it hasn't been like CSH's coming out party week 1 last year where they are just churning out 200 yards rushing games. They have struggled.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    AQL did you look at the All22 for the Lions game? Im curious how that one broke down statistically. I know a winless Lions club isn't an elite defense but watching it live( as it could be for me) It seemed as those the Lions weren't doing as other teams have done this season with Ben under center. It seemed like with Rudolph they played a more traditional style with fewer guys in the box and it appeared like a more effective pass blocking. Compared to Sunday night where my biggest concern was Derwin James more so than Bosa since Bosa to me is like Jared Allen lots of talent but tunnel vision at times.

22. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I will take this current OL over the one from last year, they have the opportunity to get better.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I haven't watched them all. Only what nfl network shows during the week. Their OL is a helluva lot better than what they had last year. I'm making the comparison between what KC did to improve the OL vs what the Steelers did. At this point, it's no contest.

24. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    No question there, they spent a lot to get that kind of quality and with that offense when it's clicking you can have an average OL and look dominant. The Steelers are victims of their own shortsightedness. They kicked the can down the road too much and really before making the cuts had no wiggle room. I would have liked to have seen their draft if they hadn't filled some starter roles with backup players.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    When you draft RBs and TEs in the first and second round when you have one of the worst offensive lines in football….. why is anyone surprised?

And for the record I like both Najee and Muth they are very good young players and fine picks but it’s like buying a brand new Ferrari and living in a shed.