1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Failure to adjust

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Seahawks came out running in the 2nd half, Tomlin admitted they expected pass and it took too long to adjust. It took three quarters to adjust to the Lions heavy sets and tackle motion, which was blowing up the run D.

Add Herbert's scrambles to the list. Cam admits that Herbert recognized he could do this early, but the Steelers continued playing man D and losing contain.

No worries, though, they'll "clean it up" this week in practice. This team just feel like a bunch of janitors with all the cleaning up they're doing.

https://steelersdepot.com/2021/11/d...mbles-he-identified-what-we-were-in-early-on/

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I always feel this way about them. I feel like they come out of halftime and the other teams make adjustments and we just don't.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Just in case you forgot or just in case you were feeling good today. here comes mad dog to remind us that We suck

In all seriousness though this is a good topic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I was thinking about this earlier. Are they playing the wrong defensive scheme in general when that many guys are out? What where they playing for the most part? Zone? Would they have been better just playing straight man and giving every player an assignment? Could/should they simplify it as much as possible when they've got backups playing all over the field?

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If they were going to play straight man, they needed somebody to spy on Herbert. The problem was that would give them one fewer pass rusher or player in coverage while the defense was struggling in both areas. It was like a cartoon character trying to plug leaks in a wall with his fingers. Eventually, he runs out of extremities and the flood begins.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    not really. The vast majority of fans wouldn’t know an adjustment if it smacked them in the face. Generally adjustments are very small. They also generally happen continuously throughout the game. You don’t play a half make giant wholesale adjustments and then play the second half.

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Well sometimes it appears that we don’t make any adjustments at all. But I also understand that as fans we don’t really know what’s going on behind the scenes. So I guarantee you I’m not gonna get too worked up about any of it. I like watching the games and rooting for the team. But I’m not one of those guys who has a superiority complex and think that I know more than the professionals.
    If it ever gets to the point that I have a problem with just about everything that’s a team does I’ll just quit watching.

8. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020

Someone already posted this, but Tomlin's teams seem to never play a solid 4 qtrs in a single game, Hell not even 3 qtrs

Let alone in back 2 back games It's ridiculous

Granted no team is perfect every snap every qtr, but no adjustments or changes.

Again IMO

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Post game Herbert said the Defense was giving the same look on the outside all game, they challenged it and got the winning TD.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    He left out the part where a rookie made a rookie mistake.

we essentially had a preseason defense out there and y’all are still whining

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The only reason I can think that they kept running Man was the backups they had 2 use Sucked at Zone. I mean the reason We usually Do Well against Qbs that rely on running is because We run Zone So Well...Yet Sunday night We hardly came out of Man. I can't figure it out.:shrug:

12. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    that’s a healthy attitude. It is a game after all. It is meant for spectators to enjoy. Sadly some have decided they know far more than the professionals and choose this medium to share their lack of knowledge. This sounds good. If I say it enough times it will become fact.

13. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Failure to adjust is Mike Tomlin's legacy. If anyone asks to describe Tomlin as a coach the first thing that comes to mind is exactly this. I'm sure at times it maybe helped us win some games...especially early in his career. now that the book has been written on Tomlin it's a glaring weakness. I think most opponents didn't believe we were as simple as we appeared to be. This gets the heart of the reason NFL coaches do not typically last more than 10 years.

We have always been unapologetic about making a plan in the offseason - right or wrong - and sticking with it to the death. Lack of adjustments on game day and/or frequently showing up with a head scratching plan to begin with have always been an issue. During games we wait too long to adjust and during the season we wait to long to make adjustments. I get at times the answer is just doing what we were suppose to do in the first place will cure the issue...so just work on that...but eventually when it's blatantly obvious the opponent is doing something we can't stop you have to do something different. This issue has a lot to do with Tomlin having a really bad record against really bad teams. We go ultra conservative due to the belief the bad teams will beat them selves..then when they don't because we don't force them into mistakes due to the ultra conservative game plans we give that opponent hope.. As soon as they have hope we are toast. Ever notice our offense suddenly comes to life in the 4th quarter? It's usually because the offense finally abandons the same old game plan and does something different.

I think Belicheat is a great coach because his game plans always attack the weaknesses of the opponents...and they are specific about it...they go after a single player or two because they know that players weakness. Tomlin gets his ass owned in these games because he refuses to adjust to that. In his mind the standard is the standard for every player. Belicheat is also exceptional at quickly recognizing opportunities or weaknesses , adjusting , and attacking them. We don't. In Tomlin's mind throwing deep on 3rd and 1 is keeping the opponents on their toes. Back when Ben could hit anyone past 20 yards it worked alot.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    And who even really cares? Proving the team made a mistake and you were right adds up to a whole lot of nothing. I don’t at all mind discussing/ debating team decisions with those who are rational and don’t have their heels dug so far in that they can’t understand the other persons opinions. For the others I’m just going to crack on them.

When most every thread that a particular person starts is reminding us how dire things are or how dumb the team is ,well that’s a problem for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    See, that's the thing though. It's a problem for YOU. And then you insist on telling the rest of us incessantly about YOUR problem. You are doing the exact same thing in reverse that you beeyotch about other people doing when they call out deficiencies and, heaven forbid, post their opinions on an internet message board. It's a two way way street, man. Precisely the reason that you take flack for being the self appointed hall monitor around here. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    You're right. DCs and OCs always play games within games. The Steelers called the game based on the personnel they had available and almost won with the preseason squad on D. I got no problems with that.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You can always ignore me if you can’t handle bro.

• Like Like x 1
  18. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Yes, you're right. Just offering feedback and a perspective. It's your prerogative what to do with it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Cool story bro

20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I can’t wait to play chargers in the playoffs with a healthy defense and give up 50.

not sure why I put this in green lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    nothing new here, failure to adjust has been going on for a while now.

• Agree Agree x 4
  22. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Maybe it was perception but I swore Bruce Arians was notoriously stubborn not to make adjustments during the game.
    A typical football day for me here in CT was routing for the Steelers and for any team the Patriots played.
    Anyways I have watched the Pats make adjustments within a possession on a series of downs. Now granted it was TB making the defense declare man when Edelman went in motion and watched the LB follow him across.

23. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I know you did say it was a good topic, but it's not fun feeling negative about your own team. It really isn't. Yeah, we have some trolls on here that just like to stir up ****, but most of us are true fans. It really sucks not having faith in this team year after year. It just seems like we have the same problems every single year. The biggest one is we just seem to be a dumb football team and I feel like that's been the case since Tomlin came on board. Over the past 10+ years we've had lots of talent. We've had a QB who can put up lots of points. We've had good defences. We've had arguably the best RB and WR in football. We've had good TE's. We've had one of the best safeties to ever play. We've had fantastic inside and outside LB'ers. The list goes on. Yet the only time we've even got close since 2010 is when Cincinnati self-destructed and gave us that playoff win. This team just can't get out of its own way.

Now we're looking at either a rebuild or a major retooling and I can't help but have no faith in the leaders to get the job done properly. They can't get the job done with a bunch of pro bowlers.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The one difference I can see is that if your message is the same over multiple threads over the first five pages perhaps instead of derailing that conversation and discussion they might chose to say please see thread x,y,z for exhibit A of what I am talking about. It might save the Chief some money on storage space that he is laying down for our favorite past time.

• Like Like x 3
  25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Again for me a lot of that comes down to Tomlin's coaching philosophy. I posted a clip on Sunday that NFL Films did about Tomlinisms and one of the favorites by the players was the nameless grey faces. While it might be a catchy phrase that boosts your team up initially it shows a certain degree of disrespect for the guys playing across from you that have talent and standards too. Then you go and look at the direct coaching choices that were made in key games that were negatively impacting your teams ability to play and win games. You look at the game plan Sunday night and it seemed a lot like the game plan they used in week 1 so effectively to stymie the Bills offense except they don't have Ingram anymore, TJ didn't make the trip, you are missing your starting Safety, CB and NT, half the guys you are putting out there have a resume shorter than my 17yr old stepdaughter and try to run a complex system where any idiot with a film break down can teach you how to attack that defense. Im willing to bet dollars to dimes Allen was preaching up and down the sideline put me in the slot either I get a free release or you will have a 10 yard gain on a QB run everytime.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1