1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

That Offense was different

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by MadtownDruankard, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The fact that 90% of his targets are combat prayer lofts is part of the problem. This easy TD turned into one:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    He would get better looks, if he ran better routes.

3. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    They only player worth keeping on this team is Heyward and TJ. But TJ has been injured a lot. With as many holes as this team has I still believe it was a mistake to sign TJ to that crazy deal.

It’s crazy cause it’s not like we don’t have talent. So either it’s the players just aren’t good or our coaching sucks so bad that nobody improves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Our WR’s rarely get separation. Corners rarely struggle to cover our any of our wr’s. They dont fight for balls and go get them , they let the ball come to them. If it doesn’t hit them in the chest they usually dont catch it or they hit the ground with zero yac. Apparently you all forgot AB’s or Hines Wards ability to go get a ball. The contrast is glaring. Sure we occasionally see a good game but none of them are consistent . You have to be delusional if you think this is a good wr group.

Claypool had a catch were he judged rhe ball in the air , turned and backpedaled and left his feet, made the catch , and hit the turf. Zero yac. Made that catch much more difficult then it needed to be. He doesn’t use his body. You see this from claypool every game. His ball skills are mediocre for a guy his size. We do not have a #1 WR. Sure johnson has saved his career but he’s no #1. He definitely runs the best routes but his physical limitations will prevent him from ever being a pro bowl wr.

Ben’s past his prime and doesn’t always throw an accurate ball but he also gets blamed often for balls that are thrown to a spot and the WR isn’t there. This is often the issue in the redzone. Most of you also dont seem to understand the impact of drops. Last few years we had to be near the league leaders in drops. The drives killed, the yards lost, the points eliminated from drops will kill you. Granted we have been better this year it’s still an issue.

5. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    When it happens with every receiver, back, and TE, the common denominator who misses practice time every week *might* be the problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. woofermazing

woofermazing Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2017
    Yup, two TD drives from 3 and 11 yards out. And we still needed a penalty to sustain one of em.

Arm strength issue. Ben can't lead receivers down field anymore.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  7. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Also, this is not true, according to PFF they rank 11th in rate of routes run where the receiver was considered open or wide open.

I know that's subjective and everyone hates PFF but they watch every ding-dang play for every team.

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not as bad as the one we played last week

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You could say those 2 phenomenal catches...are phenomenal throws...both on the money, but You won't, and I don't understand why.???....Though You are correct the pass 2 Claypool was severely under thrown, and that's on Ben, or that's 7 points there.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He never hits Him in stride?????
    I can ....if I were You go find a many Hits him in stride plays....Hell some last night. Now if You should say....He doesn't always Hit him in stride, or sometimes he doesn't hit him in stride ....You would be correct.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

He also audibles a few calls. More than once he was telling WR's and RB's were they need to be on the plays called. It's nice that Ben knows everyone's assignment but I find it disturbing some WR's don't know their own assignments . I can imagine that makes it very difficult no a QB making reads when the WR isn't where they were expected to be.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Well, when comparing the separation the Chargers WRs were able to get vs what our WRs had, I think we have some issues to address and need to fix what's causing the disparity.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    THIS for sure + prevent D most of the night from the SD, which BTW - has a sucky D to begin with. We are not good. It was garbage scores and yardage the 2nd half. Still cannot run the ball, no identity at all.

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This! The 1st sack was an empty set. They brought the heat. The 2nd sack is unfathomable with a QB who has been in this league as long as he has and has seen everything should have called for a max protect bringing Harris into the backfield next to him there. Game over. Well it was over when Mothballs Mike Williams caught that sideline route. Where was the pressure then?

• Like Like x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Claypool seems to fall to the ground a lot when catching passes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Canada doesn't give Ben much freedom to call his own plays, Ben said in the no huddle offense he only has like ten plays he can use.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It's basically the same as Ray-Ray that first year. There was college tape on Claypool but no one really knew anything about him. They broke the mold trying to find ways to get him involved and they all worked. Then the story was out and they were able to scheme for him and its a fight. The really dumb thing is that the Steelers aren't learning from it and changing his plays to adapt. Oh he was open on this play last year so he just needs to fight harder. No last year he was a rookie and no one cared if he ran a go route from the slot now its bump at the line and keep safety help over the top. The dream wedding is over and now is the time for them to work.

• Like Like x 1
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

WR#1

• Like Like x 1
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Just to add to that. That should pretty much be shown at all ref training sessions as text book pass interference.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Bosa beat Haeg immediately on that second-down play. That wasn't a play-calling failure. The first one, however, was a mistake.

21. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Sophomore slump. Relax he's going to be a big time player.

22. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Not concerned, but it's just something that I've noticed.

I'm sure part of it has to do with where passes to him are placed as well.

23. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I still need someone to ask Tomlin at the press conference today who was calling the offense on the go ahead fg possession. He'll probably just put it on himself knowing where the question is headed, but there needs to start being some serious accountability on these no brainer play calling possessions..regardless of whether its RZ or clock management related.

Even if hes not going to tell the truth about it, or be vague in his response, I need the Pittsburgh media to start putting it in his ear that's there's some goofy ish going on with the playcalling (if he's not well aware of it already) ands it starting to be a pattern that he's having to address every week. Surely he can sense that's it's about to eliminate the one boast (if it comtinues) no other coach can make a claim about which I hope is lighting a fire under him to pull a certain coordinator, if not the QB both, into the office for some real headcombing.

24. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Steelers had 300 yards of offense vs one of the worst Ds in football. They got very fortunate with the block punt and INT late. Ben played maybe his best game of the season which is a positive but little else from the OL play or running game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It doesn't really matter the way the OL blocked on that series, the offense had no chance to make a comeback.