1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

#1 Priority for 2022

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by francobettis, Nov 22, 2021.

1. francobettis

francobettis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The #1 priority for 2022 is to rebuild the OL and DL through draft and free agency.

The OL is a total chaos and I don't see any current OL being a starter next year. I can't believe Tomlin went into this season with a patch work offensive line trying to protect a 39yr old QB. They can't even run the ball against the worst run defense. Unbelievable.

For DL, I don't think we can rely on Tuitt and Alualu for 2022. Heyward is a stud but is on the wrong side of 30. Lowdermilk seems like a future star. Need to get younger and healthy bodies.

I also think we need a new defensive coordinator. The defense has looked horrible under his command and players are always out of position to make plays.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    We need about 3 new starting OL, at minimum. Maybe 4.

We need 1 more star DL and 1 more solid DL to go with Cam. Tuitt seems to be done.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    FA priority should be CB (we know they can't draft or develop outside CBs to save their hide) and depending on if they truly do not want a rookie QB, signing Rodgers or Wilson.

Draft priority (again assuming they go after a vet QB)
    1. RT - replace Banner
    2. NT - replace Alualu
    3. DT - replace Tuitt (assuming he doesn't return)
    4. TE - replace Ebron
    5. MLB - depth behind Bush

The OL is very young. I don't think the left side needs touched at all, and Green has progressed nicely at C. RG is a dime-a-dozen position, so do whatever there. I don't think Banner can hold up in the NFL and have no faith in him doing so.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The change that is needed going forward goes beyond players and the DC IMO. The Steelers, like all NFL teams, are a reflection of the team's ownership. There are many good things that the ownership has bestowed on the team over the years and likewise, some not so good. Stability is a duel edged sword and for all the good it provides, it also can be the cause of frustration and lack of achieving the ultimate goal, a title. Unfortunately, things do not change much so whatever someone feels needs to change, or what we really need to do, that most likely isn't going to happen anytime soon. Everything controllable that has transpired, whether it's a lack of depth, lack of cap money, coaches not going away fast enough, whatever, is due to decisions made at the top of this organization either recently or in the past. I think this organization is run more like a fraternity that a business from what I see. Afraid to make tough personnel decisions and letting things run its course may not be the best roadmap to success. However, if having a winning/ non losing season is the ultimate goal, then we're on track again this year. Here's hoping for the best going forward. JMO>

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    In no specific order of importance I think we have gaping holes at:

WR - we lack a true #1 with play making ability. I hope we use one of our first two picks at WR.

Oline - We need an OT and Center. I don't think either rookie has shown they can start. You have to bring competition in for these two positions. I'd like to see one or two veteran FA's signed to compete and hopefully start.

DL - ReSign Alulua and improve depth. Future starter to replace Tuitt

ILB - The decline in Bush is really a shock. At the very least sign a FA that can excel in run defense.

Safety - Replacing Edmonds has to be a priority. FA or top draft pick makes sense.

OLB - We need a pass rusher to compete with Highsmith. He's not shown any improvement this season. Just giving him some competition might motivate him to step it up?

What is the #1 priority? I think it has to be O-line. You can't score consistently without a capable O-line. Good offenses can win with poor defenses but I feel like we have 2 issues that are equally important. Run defense and O-line.

6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    it's not that bad. QB is #1 priority. ILB play sucks. and S - Edmunds sucks. OLINE will grow, they will find a guy somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Where is this assumption coming from in relation to Tuitt that he is done for good? There is no way they would have restructured him last offseason if he was going to retire, unless something major has changed since then I expect he will be back. Alualu may be a different story at his age, he could well retire. Either way I don’t see Dline as a top priority in the draft. Hopefully Davis gets healthy and step in to that NT role and Loudermilk looks like he could turn in to something in time.

OLine, Corner and WR would be my priorities but they need depth everywhere. I expect some of the holes to be plugged in free agency. They will have some money for once.

QB is the other huge one but I think that may be out of reach in the draft

8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He is signed for next season. Depth yes they need badly. Heyward is playing above the line but he is going to be 33 next season. And Tuitt who knows what's going to happen.

Priority #1: A QB. They need to draft one in the 1st and bring a journeyman in to compete with Rudolph. Unless Ben comes back. You still draft one and then Ben will take him under his wing :roflmao:

#2 :A strong safety. Ba bye Edmonds. What a waste.

#3: An ILB free agent with some coverage skills who will also stick his head in the mix. Bust, I mean Bush is brutal.

Thank you, at least someone gets the story of Offensive Line and the growing pains. I'm not down on Banner yet we haven't seen him play. Turner is only signed for this season.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    1. QB
    2. Safety
    3. A thumper at ILB
    4 3 OL
    5. CB
    6. A backup RB
    7. A young DT

10. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    Id rather see us sign a FA. Russell Wilson would like nice in a steeler uni. The draft class is garbage. Wasting a first round pick on a QB that doesn't pan out sets a franchise back years.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    At this point I'm all for losing out. Blowing the whole thing up including firing all coaches. Getting a high draft pick and doing what it takes to draft Kenny Pickett in the first round. Face it. This team is already finished as far as 2021 is concerned.

Can't run the ball. Can't stop the run. Can't pass block. Can't game manage. Can't score on 1st and goal from inside the 5. Predictable play calling that Ray Charles can even see. 98 yard killer drives that as soon as I, joe fan predicted and told my son before the first snap. Players that think Flag football may also be too dangerous. Stupid penalties. Play calling where the veteran QB even scratches his head at. Idiotic decision making of when to take points or not.

I mean which one of us in our right mind wants to see this circus continue? Go ahead and shout from the roof tops that I am not a true fan for wanting some sort of failure but I'm done with seeing so many clowns doing stupid things.

I would keep a handful of leaders but they'd be few and far between. Send a message to the rest of them.

Hell. Bring Cowher back. He wouldn't put up with these shenanigans. MT's just a puppet. For god's sake Danny Smith is better at this point. He at least has his ST's playing at a high level in this train wreck.

It's so bad it's almost funny anymore. Stats don't lie. We Suck!

• Like Like x 1
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He is signed till 2023. A trade would cost a kings ransom and then you have to pay him. Would I like to have him ? Sure. Just seems a bit pricey and who says he would be traded?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/russell-wilson-9885/

13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I agree but I just can't bring myself to root for loses. Hell, last years meaningless Browns game (the one before the nightmare game) pissed me off for a while. I can only comment on the Eagles since they are the local team but their fans starting rooting for loses early on last year and it seems to have been rewarded.

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They have Freiermuth and Gentry. They don't need a tight end.

I think they need a center. I'm just not sold on Green being able to stay there, but I think he could be a fine starting guard along with Dotson.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

As you can tell I was a bit bitter when I posted this yesterday and it was somewhat emotional with my response. Of coarse I want them to win but I've seen this movie before and far too often. As a matter of fact as I am typing this I am listening to a Steelers fan on the AM radio in Cincinnati getting into it with a non sports Cincy radio host and the host is telling the Steelers fan how bad the Steelers suck cause they tied the Lions. It's very ironic hearing this at the moment 300 miles from Pittsburgh but also warranted IMO.

16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Steelers can use a lot of things, just draft a good player that doesn't stink.

Also I think the Steelers will be much more active in FA agency than ever before this upcoming season. Not saying they are gonna make splash signings, but I think they will be bringing quite a bunch of new faces in many areas, with better cap space and room.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Fixed it for you, i.e. Mark Malone, and passing on Marino..

18. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Offense - QB, OT, IOL, WR
    Defense - DT, ILB, CB, S

QB - I'm going with a refurbished unit for a year unless Colbert really loves one of these kids coming out. Mason can backup.
    OT - Is Moore going to take a 2nd year leap? Is he better at RT? Oko has improved some but not great. Banner out.
    IOL - Dotson is good. Still think Green could be our C but he would be good at RG. Need to figure that out.
    WR - Chase needs to flip a switch. DJ has gotten better. Juju/Wash probably out so need a good 3rd.

DT - Alu is old and there's just filler behind him. I'm worried about Cam's age but Loudermilk has me hopeful. DE in 2023.
    ILB - I like Schobert more than most but, good God, is Bush horrid. This spot has been a major mess for a while.
    CB - Haden out. Sutton and Pierre (!) have been decent. Still need a #1.
    S - I'm still angry about that Edmunds pick. Just terrible. :) And Minkah needs to figure some things out.

So, 8 spots, which isn't that many except it's MOST of the big ones: QB, LT, CB. Of course, always need depth, too (RB, OLB).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Depressing thread, roster will be swiss cheese in 2022. Too many holes to fill in one offseason.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    You lost me here. Green has not progressed at all. He regularly gets bull rushed and he can't even hold his own ground in pass pro. He doesn't move bodies and get to the next level run blocking. Now add in the poor snaps we've seen recently and this statement doesn't hold water. Too many clips showing Green getting handled on a regular basis. He needs to spend more time in the weight room.

21. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015

I actually don't think so. There is a fine line between good and bad teams now.

#1 - what happens at QB? If Ben is back... Just signing a couple veteran O-linemen to compete for the starting job at Center and OT would cure our problems. We just handed the jobs to two rookies that have no business starting. No team starts those two guys (like we did) unless totally desperate. The team did a terrible job with personnel this season and there was no development like they expected from our WR's, DL, LB, and secondary. Not one playmaker has risen to the occasion except our rookie TE. Harris is what we expected he would be... and he's been limited by a worse than expected O-line and passing game.

#2 - The first two picks probably plug 2 holes. WR, LB, Safety, DL. two of those spots should be addressed in the draft...possibly 3. I think we can address WR and safety with our first 2 picks. Take a LB or DL in the 3rd rnd. Sign a FA to provide depth on the D-line OR LB (depending on who you draft)

#3 Juju and Edwards are gone...they free up $. If Ben retires we sign a FA QB or make a trade. Improving these 4 positions I mentioned IMO makes us a legit contender with or with out Ben. How many games would we have won this year with a capable O-line? How many games would we have won if we had depth at LB and DL? How many games would we have won if we had a WR that could make big plays and stretch the field?

Every QB in this draft is a reach. They all need serious development. SO if you do draft a QB then he's a back up in year 1. You cannot miss on a QB in the first round and these guys are too risky. If this class was in a normal class not one of these QB's would be taken in rnd 1.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  22. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    Green is easily over powered. In fact the entire O-line is easily beaten with bull rushes. This line gets no push on runs either. They can create small holes with proper technique but there's no push. When you watch other teams it's glaring how over matched we are physically up front. Right now the two rookies are just physically not capable of starting.

• Like Like x 1
  23. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree with this but, man, this is really overwhelming. We just have SO many issues.

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Strength isn't Green's problem. Short arms and sloppy technique are bigger issues. He just isn't good enough at getting the ball snapped and getting after the defender at the same time.

25. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I agree that his arm length and wingspan are well below average for G/C. His strength is definitely subpar as well. For being a 300+ lb man, he gets pushed around way too much. 25 reps is very average. Technique and leverage are definitley in the mix too. He is quick and agile but needs to hit the weight pile. We haven't seen him dominate any DTs, just the opposite.