1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NFL refs are Horrible!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Coolhandluke23, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Coolhandluke23

Coolhandluke23 Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2021
    The hit on Harris should of been a flag. The hit on Sutton was even worse. The officials have been awful this year!!

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Also the hit on Boswell no flag in the Browns game

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Coolhandluke23

Coolhandluke23 Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2021
    Yes your right I am emailing the nfl it won't help but that was horrible.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if it was tom tom or a favorite team of the nfl, flags would fly from everywhere. these goofuses through flags then pick them up too. nope no foul. why did you throw it then? then some of these phantom calls this year of what they think they see but don't truly see, and still flag it. it's been bad. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I think we as fans have a right to be concerned about officiating. But, after the Bears game a couple of weeks ago, I don't think Steelers fans have any room to complain about the refs.
    I'd just like to see games called the same way. Calls are so subjective these days. Some crews will call a penalty if you breathe on the opponent wrong, and others will let you mug people. I'd be happy with consistency.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I think the Johnson interference call should have least been a holding call on the defense. It wouldn’t have been a spot foul but it would have been a 5 yard penalty and a fresh set of downs and the clock would have kept moving. I hate when the refs throw a flag and then pick it up and say no call not even a minute later. It’s not the reason the Steelers lost the game but it was a big moment for sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    The sad part is these people make a boat load of money sometimes determining the out come of games.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Most definitely. It's getting worse and there is no going back. The game itself has gotten to the point that you can throw a flag on every single play because someone is holding someone somewhere or doing who knows what. You've heard of the term "make up penalty' where they pick just about anyone they want on any play and throw a flag because they screwed up throwing a flag on the other team earlier. The riff raff they have officiating are throwing flags that are either no brainers or they're throwing on a guess. In many games they aren't even throwing on no brainers like last night. Every team is in the same boat except maybe some players or teams get some added attention one way or another. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    They screwed both teams in this game . Alot of ticky tack holding and missed the egregious holding. Our line got away with murder at times also.

Some people have an issue with the picked up PI flag late in the game…. That wasn’t PI and I didn’t see a legit hold. The wr didn’t track an under thrown ball.

We used to run those routes were the ball
    Was intentionally under thrown… when it doesn’t work it looks terrible but when it works it’s brilliant. It takes a lot of work and practice to run those successfully .

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Yes the zebras are brutal but that is no surprise. They are league wide and are teflon. If they blow a call and the game is lost you get a

[​IMG]

letter from the league office with an embossed NFL shield signed by jerkdell

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That's not what happened there. Roethlisberger just couldn't get the ball there due to the pressure.

If you really think the poor officiating was even close to even last night, I have no idea what game you were watching. Just as the officials saved the Steelers against the Bears, they screwed them over last night. Samuel's defensive strategy with the ball in the air seems to be to grab an opponent's jersey every time and the officials refused to call it, yet they flagged Joseph for the same thing to wipe out a sack on the drive before halftime.

The worst of it was missing two illegal blows to the heads of Steelers. There is just no excuse for that, especially the lineman diving for Cam Sutton's head on the interception. That was just plain dirty.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    The head shots were inexcusable. They were blatant and the officials were staring right at it. So I don't get that. The NFL does not call PI unless the defender inhibits the player from making an attempt at the catch....grabbing and hand contact does not get called anymore... or at least that is the standard to which the league tries to enforce. Watch any other game and it occurs on most pass plays. The PI on us IMO was ticky tack... we grabbed the jersey but we did not prevent the WR from anything. What everyone is crying about would be incidental in most games. Our O-line was getting away with holding all game as well... so I think this crew just didn't want to get involved. Sure it leaned towards the Chargers ... I thought last week we got screwed also. But the week before we were given a win. It's bad officiating all over the league.

I think it's funny how our corners rarely get called for PI. I think that is result of the fact that we are rarely contesting the WR for the ball...which is why we also have no INT's from our secondary. Meanwhile our WR's draw ton's of PI"s....because they have no separation almost ever. If they do it's usually just a blatant mistake by the opponent. Our WR's need to run better routes. Claypool actually made a great move to get separation on one play. The ball was poorly thrown but it was a surprise to see. Their corners are as bad as ours.

13. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    They’re too damn cheap to hire full time refs. These guys should be studying bad and missed calls on film as a group all offseason.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Practice? Practice? You mean this needs to be practiced? I agree of course but have to admit Ben did pretty damn good for not. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
  15. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    IMO, teams should practice drawing flags in situations like last night's 4th and 32. Run to a DB and initiate contact and go down, grab a DL's arm and force his hand to your facemask while you throw your head back, say something to a defender about his mom and let him slug you....basically, perfect the art of the flop.

• Like Like x 1
  16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm of a similar mind that they were just letting them play. Yet it seemed to favor the Chargers slightly more than the Steelers. From a player safety standpoint the two headshots were brutal and don't compare to Heyward's belly slap on Herbert. It's interesting you mention holding because on every one of Herbert's runs guys were getting held and the Chargers were blatant about it too, like they never have had to block for him before. On the play that Cam ran him down from behind as two Steelers knocked each other out you can see the DB nearest Herbery try to disengage from the block but is being clung to by the WR.

• Like Like x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I have been complaining about this on almost every Qb run this year...I just thought people are tired of hearing it because of no replies.
    It's like they are allowing it 2 push the Runs of the Qb....Because I know if it's a Wr, or a Rbs ,and those same things are happening they most of the time throw the flag on it. I'd like 2 say that they are paying 2 much mind on the Qb running , but No matter what people think....I can't remember a NFL where we didn't have Qbs that ran ...So I have 2 believe that they are trying 2 support it now....Since the Qbs that run in College is almost 4 times as many as those that can actually play from the pocket.

18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That was the most blatant of the holds that the officials missed, but there were plenty of others.

It is comical that Heyward was the one apologizing after the cheap shot #74 laid on Sutton.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    I did notice the holding on the QB scrambles. I think the officials were all watching the QB running and missed the holding that was going on. Our problem with our O-line is , when you get beat you hold on. We get beat on almost every play.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I still don't get the flag on Heyward. I think they flagged him for pushing the Chargers Player who was trying to peel him off Herbert?

Seems ticky-tacky to me. He wasn't throwing a punch.

• Agree Agree x 1