1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My observations Frome the chargers' cliff jump

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Well at least there are 5 other teams that are worse at this point. To put things into perspective, I don't think anyone in our division is hitting it out of the park right now. Rats could have easily lost (again) yesterday except for a miracle at the end. The Stains nearly lost to the Lions, at HOME, in good weather. Cinci, I am not sure about but we're all in the mix right now in the Division and no one is standing that much taller than us. JMO>

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    For the most part. I think the OL will be addressed in some way, maybe first round OT. They'll add a WR. With no QB though it doesn't matter. They aren't getting Rodgers or Wilson. I'm not enjoying Canada but it's the usual with this team; is the OC a problem or is poor play the problem... or is it both? Is the poor play a lack of talent or poor coaching... or is it both? It's a mess.

The D is in serious trouble. You can't keep blowing first round picks. For eight straight years, from 2013-2020, they took a defensive player in the first round. Four were complete busts: Jarvis Jones, Artie Burns, Terrell Edmunds, and Devin Bush. Two were good players who are gone: Shazier and Dupree. Some bad luck there. That leaves Watt and Minkah. Watt is a stud. I like Minkah, and I think they are using him wrong, but he isn't playing like a 1st round pick either. One great player and one decent one on this roster out of 8 first rounders, plus the picks they used to move up for Bush. That's really bad.

Cam is the only good DL and he's old. Hopefully they have a player in Loudermilk. I like our OLBs a lot but there's a gaping hole in the middle. They need at least one good CB and one good S. There is some FA money but they can't address all of this. They could have if they had managed the cap and roster better.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I almost started a first round draft thread, this summarizes it nicely. Next year Haden gone, and how much gas will Cam have left?

I fear they'll do the same thing in 2021 - kick money down the road, try to remain marginally competitive while claiming they're trying to win a Super Bowl, and will be stuck in a cycle of mediocrity for a few years.

I know people don't want to hear this, but NE played this like a Stradivarius. Took their lumps for one year, then rebuilt the next with a franchise QB and money to plug holes in FA.

2021 should have been our year to take lumps with Mason, Loudermilk, Pierre, Spillane etc.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Patriots tried using Cam Newton to prop them up last season. They also had more players opt out than any team in the league. They didn't intentionally take a step back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    OK, so they tripped over a Stradivarius. :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    I made the case for that several times in the off season. Some vets did leave like AV, Pouncey, DD, Conner, Nelson, etc. I wanted to keep going with Ben, Ebron, Haden, and others. Clear out all the bad/big contracts and eat the money at once. Get a reasonably high 2022 pick and spend FA money. A one year rebuild. They did it half way and we have a mediocre team... and we'll have one at best next year, too.

I'm a fan and get excited for each new season. I understand the "if everything goes right" idea. I wanted to believe that Bush and Schobert could do well in the middle, that Tuitt would be ready, that Sutton and Edmonds would improve, that Haden could still be great, that Canada could make an offense with a very young OL, that Ben could find some magic... all of that stuff. The season was relying on so many miracles though and it was never going to work. They haven't been real contenders for a long time. They really need to see that.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    That was the worst rushing defense in the league. Our O line could not do anything with them either rushing or passing. They are horrible. It's not like you can see improvement from week to week. The front office made some really bad decisions and now the team lives with that. I do not believe we beat the Bengals next week. If Watt and Haden are still out the Bengals will put up over 30 points. I feel for Cam Heyward. He plays his heart out.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    To be fair, losing Dotson is a big part of the more recent regression up front. Then Hassenauer had to leave the game with a shoulder injury, forcing them to play Haeg out of position. That is where the Chargers attacked them on the final possession and Haeg demonstrated why he isn't a starter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree. We're far from a reliable and solid team right now. But the rest of the league, and the AFCN in particular, is absolutely crazy inconsistent.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    KC retooled their OL too in the off-season and are starting a couple of rooks as well. That OL is way faster, bigger, meaner, and are gelling a hell of a lot faster than the steelers group. Is it skill, athleticism, coaching, all of the above?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    For one, they took the Center I really wanted and he's been terrific.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I agree. And Trey Smith was the steal of the draft as far as I'm concerned. 6th rounder who was a day 1 starter. He is a beast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    IMO they see it, but in their own way. They're operating under the same philosophy they've had for over fifty years. The Rooneys see the organization as more than a team that wins games, divisions, and trophies. They see the people aspect, and while they make mistakes, they're going to continue fostering it where they can.

I wanted Tomlin gone a number of years ago. I also knew it was very unlikely to happen. I didn't want Ben back this year. I also knew his return was going to be his decision, as Rooney wasn't going to tell the guy that captained his offense to three Super Bowls appearances, two Lombardis, and holds nearly every passing record for the team over his nearly twenty year career that he can't come back for one last ride.

Running your operation this way invites a lot of criticism. It opens the floor not just to immediate operational critiques, but for why the hell so-and-so is still here as well. You take on the blame for their mistakes and failures as well as your own. Controlling your own actions is always easier than managing somebody else's, and far easier than explaining why you continue to have faith in those others have long ago written off.

So yeah, they entered this season with an aging QB many thought should've stepped away, behind a line many questioned due to youth and inexperience, opposite a defense good on its face but poor in its depth, all coached by a guy I wouldn't be surprised some have crafted voodoo dolls against. They said they were competing for a Super Bowl, and have been roundly criticized in many circles.

I don't see it as a delusion to who they are. They're just operating the same way they always have, warts and all. But for all the mistakes we as fans can ***** about here, they've become one of the most respected, and successful, sports franchises in history.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah unless He(Ben) likes disagreeing with His own calls....He's not calling the majority of this offense.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well done!!!!!!! Beautifully said!!!!!!!:bowdown:

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    KC also signed Thuney in free agency for big money, and traded for Orlando Brown, Mahomes wasn't getting good protection earlier this season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    That's a very well written explanation to why this team has won 3 playoff games in 11 seasons, soon to be 3 in 12.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This is just a Question. Why is it any different 2 win playoff games if You don’t Go 2 the SB ,than it it's 2 Have a Winning Season, and Lose the 1st game of the Playoffs??? You are not winning the SB either way....Sorry didn't mean 2 lead the witness. LoL.

20. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    I mean, it's better to advance in the playoffs than not. ;) Seriously though, what's the point of limiting your future just so you can invest on a team with bad odds? You play poker? You ever bet heavily on a hand where your only hope is the final card filling an inside straight? You will lose a lot of money that way.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    It would actually be 5 in 12. Not saying the two extra wins derail the general point you're trying to make.

My comments weren't an allocution against the desire to see the team win and be competitive on a weekly or seasonal pitch. I share some of the thoughts you expressed above. I was speaking more to the idea that they need to realize that the team isn't a contender (which in itself is entirely subjective).

• Like Like x 2