1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

"Disappointing" Chase

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Nov 17, 2021.

1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Everyone.

Just a few thoughts about Chase Claypool up to this point in the season. One word comes to mind for me: “Underachieving”. Now there are some factors that may be leading to this, including:

• JuJu is gone.

• He is battling a toe injury.

• Ben. However, I am “blaming” Ben’s lack of comfort and confidence in the Offensive Line. Not a diminishing of Ben’s skill-set.

• Matt Canada is definitely an unproven commodity and up to this point has “underperformed” himself IMO. Is he partly to blame?

• Other?

Chase is a physical specimen. He is built to destroy. He should be dominating defenders. However, it seems that he has taken some major steps back this year. I do not see him contesting for the ball nearly as much as I would like to. Again, with his size, and skill-set, he should be “ruling”, yet he is not.

Below are his statistics so far this season. Very disappointing to say the least. Again though, and I ask all of you:

“What do all of you think may be contributing to Chase’s “meager” performance up to this point in the season?”

Games:

Receptions: 29

Yards: 433

Yards Average/Catch: 14.9

Touchdowns: 1

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He's a down field threat on a team that doesn't throw down field

• Agree Agree x 8
  3. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    When he comes back, maybe one game he can have as many touches McCloud did against the Lions.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    This.

+ middle of the field

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Canada will not utilize him enough. This offense is built with Diontae as the #1 receiver for some reason. Even in the red zone. In the Cleveland game there was a play near the goal line where Chase was supposed to set a pick for Diontae. Why? Who does that? Let him run a post to the back of the end zone, who could run and jump with him? Why does the 3rd down drag route (a route that is won purely with speed) get called for someone who is obviously not your fastest receiver? This is in winning time, dammit. Why are we not isolating him and throwing him the fade on the 2 point conversion instead of Diontae?

Diontae has 30 more targets than Chase and has only played in one more game. Chase also only has 3 more rushing attempts, so 27 more touches for Diontae. The only game this season where Chase has cracked double digit targets was the game Diontae was out: Cincinnati. And even on that day he only had 1 more than Najee. Canada and Ben do not want to feature him unless they have to. Why? I can not figure that out.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  6. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think he would be dominant in the slot.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I feel like he plays small. When he goes after contested balls I always feel like he is getting out muscled by smaller defenders. He doesn’t high point like you think he would for his size. There should never be a reason he is below a corner with his size yet he is a lot. A lot of the times I feel like he is playing for the PI.

I’m not saying he won’t improve, this is just what I see now.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He's been disappointing and underachieving. I would think he would have came down with more of those combated catches that he had an opportunity to catch.

9. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The only time I ever see him (when he isn't injured of course), is when Ben is heaving it down the field for a jump ball. There has to be a better way to use him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I know people hate PFF, but here's how they rate our guys this year:

DJ: 73.0
    CC: 67.3
    JuJu: 59.2
    Ray-Ray: 56.1
    DW: 50.5

Just a bunch of guys. They need a true #1 to push them down the matchup tree.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    He a downfield threat .. He's big and fast, but he's not " twitchy"...Not good in and out of his breaks, not quick,but fast ..Kinda gangly and not smooth...

12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I am somewhat disappointed with CC as well since he was a wreaking ball for my Irish his last year there and I really hoped we'd get him. Nonetheless, I think what is holding him/ his numbers back is interconnected with this whole offense. Until this team gets the balance that it needs, all of our WR's will continue to have numbers PFF is showing. If we had a decent and consistent running attack and not be so 1 dimensional, everything will ramp up as our predictability goes away. This brings me back to the engine of our offensive machine, the OL. Nothing will be what it needs to be until they get their act together and open the running lanes up and give our QB some time to throw (assuming he can make the throws). Until then, defenses will find it easier to defend what they know is coming. Throwing hail Mary's down a sideline isn't the best use of CC> JMO>

PS It would also be nice if our receivers can hold on to the freaking ball after they catch it as well.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I highlighted this concern over not consistently high pointing the ball when we drafted him. Also, he is very inconsistent tracking the ball downfield and even getting himself into position to make an effective jump. I’m not saying he’s a bad player, but he could be better with work on these fundamentals. With his physical gifts he should be a true #1 receiver. I’m him and Dionte we have two guys who have some great traits and skills, but too many holes in their game to be top tier receivers.

14. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Chase appears to have not improved from last year. He should of spent most of the off season catching passes from machines. All great receivers do this in the off season, didn't see 1 video of him working to help his weakness. He is not a natural pass catcher and it shows, it takes a lot of work to fix it. JuJu did, AB did, all good receivers practice their profession in the off season.

15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    On paper DJ and Claypool should be really good but hasn't lived up to the hype. I still think Metcalf and somebody would've been better.

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Who's DW?

17. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think it’s due to a few reasons, some of which have already been stated. He’s a deep threat and we haven’t been pushing the ball downfield. However, two big issues are his ability to get open is in question as are his catch mechanics. Diontae gets more targets bc Diontae gets open. They can rely on him being open, and they trust that he will be. It’s likely that they feel like Claypool needs to get open more often and win more reps before he can be the “feature guy”. The offense goes nowhere when the number one option is literally never open. As for the second case, how many times have you seen replays of plays just missed by Claypool to see that it would’ve been caught if he just went up to the ball with his hands together? Lots. Both this season and last. He tends to go up with his hands too far apart then “clap” them onto the ball to catch it. He’s lost some really big plays by letting the ball go through his hands due to poor mechanics.

I still have faith in him though. Sometimes it’s just a bit of a slump and he will get through it. I honestly think he needs to try to use his physicality more and find ways to get open in different ways than simply just running by people. He can be a great asset if he does.

18. kakhatesmortgages66

kakhatesmortgages66 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2020
    Derrick Watt?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    JW

• Like Like x 1
  20. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    DJ is good!

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Often you will see WR's tear it up in rookie year and then start to come down to earth a bit year 2.

He's got room to grow, he's still a good player. sometimes when you start playing really well teams start respecting you more.
    Plus he's been banged up a bit this season. Plus we don't throw it more than 4 yards, hard to get 150 yard 2-3 TD efforts.. out of anybody.

Give him time, Still have 8 games left a lot can happen yet.

22. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    He's too hit or miss. First year it was fumbles. Next year led the league in drops. Then fumbled the game away last weekend. Injury prone. Metcalf would've been the better pick.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Some of those Jump balls would not be Jump balls if He knew how 2 adjust. A few would be hit in stride if He just kept going. Ever wonder How Ben can go Deep 2 DJ, and He can catch a ball and Keep running. Yet with Claypool 90% of the time No matter where the ball is thrown He has 2 turn around and Jump for the Ball.
    We Use 2 have the Same Here before with AB...Could adjust catch, and Run,...Whereas E. Sanders always had 2 turn around and Jump for the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    He's not obligated to video his offseason workouts for your viewing pleasure lol

25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Denzel Washington?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3