1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Draft guy isn't impressed with Najee Harris

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Nov 11, 2021.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The person making the statement read some stats and saw the extra 65 carries an the -1.3 ypc and got a hot take. I was also a big fan of Williams coming out of college, however stats don't tell the whole story. Anyone who has watched Harris play has seen his abilities. He is still young and should only get better, but he has gotten the absolute most out of his carries this year. Routinely getting extra yardage on individual effort alone. Williams may end up being a really good player, idk... but I don't think it will be too much longer before we start to consider Harris a top RB in this league.

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    That 2013 team wasn't a particularly good one. I did mention the OL discrepancy (2013's was certainly better), and yes Ben was in his prime as well. Both accurate statements. Harris definitely measures very well compared to where Bell was as a rookie for sure.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    In 2020 they were ranked last in rushing, in 2021 they're 28th baby steps :hehehe:, also I think their successful run rate is up and Najee is better in short yardage than the guys were in 2020.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Dunno, pretty impressive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    The reason your aunts were crying to begin with was trying to make sense of Maddog78's bullsh!t.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Get him some OL and QB help he is a star in the making!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Thanks for using an avid Pittsburgh Pirate fan:) Is that air Jordon on the cover of the SI in his lap??

• Like Like x 1
  8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Along with Muth!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Draft Guy can go .... himself. Dumb is Dumb with that comparison...

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Absolutely right. As everyone already knows, this offense requires multiple parts to adequately work in unison to get where we want to go. Your numbers show this year to be the inverse of last year. That is good. We're getting better TY as the season progresses vs getting worse LY. RB isn't one of issues that is holding us back regardless of what some pinhead media puke is spewing. Once the other needed areas get up to speed, everything will start working even better, which is the problem we're dealing with right now. All areas are interdependent of the others. RB + OL + QB + WRs + Coaching/ play calling = BA Offense. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Harris is our future star and a Steeler, therefore, Williams is a puzzy. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Get a foundation, floor, and frame up, this drywall is awesome!

13. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    This is going to be very unpopular, but it is what it is. During the game I noted on another play he failed to get the corner on a LB, who closed several yards to tackle him in the open field.

14. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    It's really tough to judge a rookie RB behind a terrible line w/ a back up QB in the rain. He's not a speed back. Part of the reason we run those sweeps with our WR's is to loosen up the defense up a little. Matt Canada just doesn't get this isn't college football. NFL Lb's and safeties are much faster and can tackle...well most of them...just not on our team. I'm sure in practice these plays work great. lol

What really sticks out IMO was watching the two O-lines in this game on run plays. The Lions O-line got enough push off the snap their RB could have just followed the center and took a knee down and still got 2-3 yards. Our O-line got zero push. We snapped the ball and nothing. The best case was our lineman could pivot to create holes by body positioning....occasionally someone gets off the snap and can get on a LB...but that's on the rare good play were we had the lions out of position. Rb's like Harris need a little push. He's greatness is not going to be speed to the sidelines...his greatness will be hitting holes w/ a burst forward and then making people miss or running them over. He's a combination of good speed for his size kind of guy.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Draft guy is a moron

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Draft guy is still a moron

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Did the Bus? Did Emmitt Smith ? Neither had breakaway speed believe they turned out fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Although I think Harris is a good RB and had a nice game Sunday, this was always my knock on him. A 1st rd RB should be elite athletically.

That's the advantage of taking a RB in the 1st, you should have access to an amazing athlete because so few are taken in the 1st.

Even then, I think it's a bad idea. I did say, however, that I would've preferred Etienne if they were to take a guy in the 1st.(and yes I know he's hurt) He runs like a deer.

My ideal pick was Javonte in the 2nd. Or Stevenson in the 3rd or 4th. You can get great value in the 2nd. (L.Bell, N. Chubb, D.Henry, A. Kamara, J. Taylor, D. Cook, J. Mixon) The posts are still there.

This shouldn't suggest that I think that Harris is a wasted pick. Far from it. He has a chance to be a top 10 RB in the league. He tries hard, and he's a good kid. That's not bad. I'd take him on my team any day.

Value is hard to come by in the 1st for RB. And the whole "there wasn't anybody else to take" crap is old. It didn't have to be OL or Harris. Although, even if it was, there are guys that were on a lot peoples radars, that weren't taken that much later, who are starting and doing well. Landon Dickerson, Sam Cosmi, Liam Eichenberg. (Unfortunately Jenkins got hurt)

Not to mention Greg Newsome and Eric Stokes. Of course, I realize that the Steelers don't need now, or in the near future, any help at CB. JOK is another that I know a few were hoping for.

At this point, Harris seems like he'll be fine. And he represents the team as well as you could hope for. I just think we left a little meat on the bone in terms of value.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    We knew that about him coming out of college, LeVeon didn't have that extra gear either, he still made All-Pro.

• Like Like x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Bell was, and is slower than Harris.

21. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Funny thing about Emmit Smith, even though he's got the most running yards record, I've never heard his name even briefly mentioned in a discussion of greatest RB's of all time.

• Like Like x 1
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers needed a more physical RB like Harris over Etienne, look how much they struggled in short yardage situations last year, Najee gets those extra yards and falls forward on most plays.

• Like Like x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I bring him up all the time when talking about them(top Rbs).
    So It matters Who You are talking 2.
    3 SBs A few Rushing titles , league MVP, SB MVP, and All Time Rushing Leader. Don't know How He's not brought Up when discussing the best backs????
    Also when He held out they lost every game He didn't play. So...:shrug:

24. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Early in his career Emmitt had longs in the 70s and 60s. Mason Rudolph has the Steelers long this year of 26.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    [​IMG]