1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Was yesterday’s Steeler game the worst you ever saw?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Quadrupleyoi, Nov 15, 2021.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I also was also there, and I remember. I was friends with some of the NC hooligans, but I personally didn’t want to get my butt kicked.

2. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Easily the worst this season and that's saying something... who thought we could beat out last week's crap show? 2021 is looking like maybe the worst season for the NFL ever. There is a lot of really bad football being played right now w/ really bad officiating. The NFL has a serious quality problem.

This game has to rank up there as one of he worst in my lifetime all things considered. The 0-8 Lions w/ a QB so hurt they were running on 3rd and 15. He couldn't even throw. Think about that for a minute...and we still couldnt win? lmfao. How bad is their backup? The weather wasn't good but it wasn't so terrible for playing football. Why weren't they turning the ball over like we were?

Rain, back up QB, against one of the worst run defenses in the league. Close game. Obviously you run the ball down there throats right? NOPE! 50+ pass attempts from our back up QB. Unreal. How Canada keeps his job after this is beyond me. How Tomlin keeps is job is amazing. You could see the look in Tomlin's face. He knew it was terrible. I think if you combine the terrible coaching on both sides along with the terrible execution along with multiple mistakes on every drive by the coaches, players, and officials....It has to be near the worst of games we have seen in Pittsburgh over the last 30 years. We are running a college offense and the worst defenses in the league have no issues stopping it. Anyone with any ability to have an independent thought in their head had to see this is a total coaching failure in 2021. This game was the epitome of that. Normally I would be pissed to see such a terrible game plan and pathetic effort... I just had to laugh. It was so bad it was funny.

Some of the leaders on our defense were actively avoiding contact. I've not seen that before. Reminded me of Deon Sanders back in the day making a tackle. wow

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Forget the year. I was there 69-73 right before Dan Marino. I remember NC was going in for a TD and fumbled and the guy who sat next to me in History class ran it back like 99 yards. Only time we got to scream and yell because NC ate us for lunch after that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Plenty of worse games I could name.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    One of the worst games I remember was opening day for the 2000 season vs. Ravens. Steelers got shut out at home.... Ravens won 16-0. That was a lot worse than yesterday's tie vs. Lions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    One of the saddest moments I can remember was when Cowher anointed Amos Zeroue the fulltime starter over Bettis, and he ran 3 times at the 1 yard goal line and couldn't get in. I will forever remember the disgust on Cowher's face.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Dogman

Dogman Member

Aug 16, 2021
    I'm an old guy, fan since early 50s, so I have witnessed a lot of bad football. This last game ranks highly on the list in my mind. This could be a warning to all of us, we may not have yet seen how low this team can go. It's a minor miracle that this group has won any games this year.

8. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Nah, not the worst.

Worst game to me of recent memory was the 30-9 loss to the Jags in 2017. Ben threw 5 picks, 2 of which were returned for touchdowns. Team could only manage 9 points even with Bell and Brown

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Instead of going to OT, the refs should have said both you teams suck and we suck even more than you do so we will just call it a double forfeit and then we can review every crappy call we've made during this game in order to try and come up with lame excuses.

Mason Rudolph starting out the game looking like Joe Montana and then next series looking like Ryan Leaf. Run defense that was afraid to tackle. Goff scared to throw and their 3rd and 4th string running backs getting over 200 yards.

Top 3 worst games in my book. It was very bad. More embarrassing than anything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    51-0 home opener loss to the Browns, 43-3 loss to the Lions on Thanksgiving... There have been worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    There has been a lot worse games than this even though this game was really bad. Some of the Raider losses were inexcusable. Losing to Andrew Walter and Terrell Pryor. Letting Bruce Gradkowski throw 3 4th quarter TD passes to win the game in 2009. The Dobbs game in 2018 in which Tomlin totally screwed the pooch with his decision making.
    Also being 0-2 lifetime against the horrific Mike Glennon. Losing to Brady Quinn and the Brown's with a playoff spot on the line and on and on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    The loss to an equally poor Texans squad a few yrs ago, where we outplayed them at every level and got killed with multiple turnovers..
    A similar game against the raiders also comes to mind

13. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Lots of short term memory issues around here. Wonder how many folks in Buffalo are saying the same thing about Game 1 this season? While not very comforting, the silver-lining is the Steelers actually picked up a half game on Ravens and Browns this week. For all the upsets this season, could be the first time a sub .500 team wins the SB. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I think the cream will rise to the top in the AFC, namely Buffalo and KC. NFC is more top heavy, I expect an NFC rout in the Super Bowl again.

15. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Agree, I have seen many over the years and have forgotten about most of them.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    We’re any of those teams 0’fer when the Steelers lost?

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    2002 Houston Texans they had like 40 yards of offense, but beat the Steelers. Tommy Maddox had two pick sixes, and a fumble returned for a TD.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Not even close. Just off the top of my head I'd say the worst could be the 2001 AFC Championship Game. When Kordell sealed his fate as my least favorite Steeler of all time.

LOL! I remember a game the year Ben was out, 2019, we actually won the game I believe. However, from an entertainment standpoint, it may have been the worst game I've seen. We won, and I contemplated never watching another Steelers game ever again. That was a long year.

19. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    For sloppiness by both teams combined, yesterday’s game is hard to beat.

Though influenced heavily by weather and field conditions the 3-0 MNF win vs Mia in ‘07 or ‘08 was worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The Gradkowski sh!tshow was one of the worst. It was the quintessential trademark Tomlin performance.

21. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    That was the worst Steelers game I have seen. We always play down to the low grade teams. What hurts the most is we’re at home. Thanks Tomlin for all the efforts you and your staff did.

22. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    sounds like people just started watching football in the past few years. lol

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I was at the Miami MNF game. It was bad, but the weather was way worse (believe it or not) thank yesterday. Yesterday's game was the worst display of football from both sides that I think I've ever seen. Just bad play after bad play.

Btw, that season with the MNF game was probably the worst season ever in terms of weather. I think it rained for at least 5 or 6 of the home games.

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    it ranks right up there, I have been watching for over 50 years.

25. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Playoff losses to the Browns 2020 and Jacksonville 2017 were worse because they didn’t have the excuse of injuries, they got complacent and got steamrolled early by teams that were more focused on the task at hand. I believe they were looking past their opponent on both occasions which is something you just can’t do in the NFL.

It is being strangely overlooked just how hammered by injuries they were on Sunday, they were down nearly half their starters going in to the second half including their QB and DPOY candidate. Even if they just had Ben they’d probably have won relatively comfortably. That said, it doesn’t explain the braindead offensive play calling or the drops / fumbles. The game was there to be won. It was bad.

I feel bad for Diontae who had cleaned up his drop issues from last season for the most part and then this happens. Also hope Pat Freiermuth can forget this one. These bad errors and plays that you want back can stick in players minds sometimes

• Like Like x 1