1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

For those fans that wanted Ben to be benched and start Mason

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Nov 14, 2021.

1. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I'd take Luck but it sounds like he's really happy being retired.

2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    They both stink. At least Ben was great. Mason is okay depth but not a franchise QB.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Considering Ben didn't practice last week, Mason did get first team reps.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Too small a sample size? As compared to who?? Are you talking small sample size in a Matt Canada offense?? If we're talking about starts in general he's had more then enough for us to know what he is at this point and I really dont believe it has anything to do with learning a new offensive system. Brady, Rodgers, Luck we're all QBs who with their first start hit the ground running. Im not saying I expect him to be any of those QBs, but he's not even close. We could name many more QBs who managed to establish themselves with less starts, but it would be a waste of time. You might be able to teach a system, but i dont think he has the talent to execute. He's simply not good, or at least good enough to do anything but cleanup in garbage time. That's all he's good for as far as I'm concerned. He doesnt have the talent or skillset to be a winner in this league and it's pretty obvious.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I wanted Ben to sit a week to recover. Against the bears he was clearly struggling due to injuries. I thought this was also the best week to do that as any team worth a crap could beat the lions with a back up qb. I also thought Mason was a decent back up and it would be interesting to see were he’s at as a QB.

I still think it would have been wise to sit Ben but I was wrong about a couple other things… We learned alot about this team. Mason is not as good as I thought and neither is our team. Ben most likely wins this game. If he doesn’t play next week Im pretty sure we will lose. The WR’s IMO were exposed…. Johnson and Washington are #3’s at best. This issue has a lot to do with our offensive issues.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    rEceIVers NeeD To MAkE 50/50 cAtchES.

Now do you see how stupid that argument is? Mason was lofting the ball up for grabs and our average WRs didn't make the circus catches you demand they make for Ben.

We have a bad QB room and a bad OC. That much is crystal clear now.

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Also that missed TD pass from Mason to Ray Ray bounced off the ground :facepalm:.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You guys need to get real about Luck, he hasn't payed in three years, and I'm sure the Colts still own his rights.

9. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    To be fair, I wanted Haskins....;)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I was going to bump every “bench Ben play Rudolph” thread but 1. I’m not that big of an ******* 2. I don’t want to get banned. But Rudolph is exactly what I said he. He’s a career backup at best. He’s honestly best suited at number 3 on the depth chart. I’d rather never see that guy start again.

11. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Wilson wants to be a celebrity with his wife in a large market. Pittsburgh would not be a good fit for them.

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think there is some room between prepping a game plan for Ben playing but not practicing much during the week and Rudolph being told he is starting and getting meaningful snaps in practice as they prep a game plan for him. Not saying your wrong just that there is a big gap between the two.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Philofarnsworth79

Philofarnsworth79 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2019
    I would say that Rudolph played well enough in TERRIBLE conditions & with little time behind center... The turnovers killed them... In optimal conditions with a few games, Rudolph would look alot better...maybe even good...

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    yep - said much of this pre-season, at least that we were barely a .500 team. And I am a Tomlin hater, in the fact that we have gone as far as we can with him. He is mediocre (not elite) and we need an enema like change to clean out much of the DNA that has become an average team now for 5 years. ROONEY WILL NOT make a change after this year. No where in any conversations about being a contender, a team to worry about, that sort of thing. that ship sailed in 2017.

you said "hope" in your thread - that is ALL it is b/c it is NOT a strategy...

15. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Dude is afraid of being hit. So much so that he retired young. No way he's coming out to play again.

16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

he blows. 3rd year, vs. worst team in football, or close to it. pop gun arm, no way he should start next year, move him to 3rd string (since the morons decided to pay him a fat contract - DUMB!), find a starter and a veteran as a back up.

our QB situation has sucked now for 3 straight year.

TomBert is CLUELESS.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    They do...I said a few times during the game ....you can go look....at the game thread....that some of those were bad adjustments by the Wrs.
    See ....sorry I don't flip flop like You.

18. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Pittsburgh isn't a large market?

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    First... a inside report from an inside reporter said No backup Qb in the league gets as Much practice with the 1st team as much as Mason does.
    Now 2 what You were saying.
    Well I would say ...Since when has Ray Ray, and Washington been a huge game plan With Ben. Now You will say since Claypool is out, and I would say...Ok...I see one but not both, and I think a lot of people that thought Ben was holding this offense back so much... are now trying 2 make excuses. Now You say who cares what You think. LoL :thumbs_up:

20. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    As bad as Rudolph was, if everyone not named Najee on offense had not sucked just as badly they would have won the game. Seriously, Rudolph was set up to have the perfect ****ty game but make a few clutch plays at the end that we have all come to love so much from Ben. He made a great throw to DJ in a clutch situation and DJ ****ed it up. Even fricking Freiermuth forgot how to catch. Honestly I am more disappointed in the rest of the offense than I am in the backup QB. None of this is meant to say that Rudolph was not awful, though. He was. He was just good enough that we could have won if the rest of the team hadn't sucked.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Anyone else weirded out by masons throwing motion?

Every ball over 10 yards has this weird trajectory.

Also, that slant to DJ he's got the learn to take just a little off it or make sure to hit I'm in the belly with the ball.

I'll create some more fun, I bet we would have won with Haskins in....

22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    haskins was my pre-season favorite, I already knew Mason sucked.

His 20 yard balls have an arc - no mustard on them, and his deep ball sucks, just like Ben's.

23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't think they ever plan for those two to be focal points and if they did it would be a mistake as they simply aren't game changers. The injuries played a role but if they were planning a game plan similar to the previous 4 games with Harris being the engine that drives the offense and sprinkling in passes that are high percentage low risk you wouldn't need to make McCloud or Washington focal points.

The point keeps being made that Rudolph gets plenty of work in during the week because we'll Ben. I don't doubt he does get reps it's what he is being asked to do with the reps that I question. It makes no sense to practice scripted plays with the backup QB if his skill set doesn't match Ben's. So is he a glorified jugs machine or is he being prepped for a game that will put him in position to succeed? Rudolph has familiarity with the starters because of these practices but there is stuff he does that Ben can't and stuff Ben does that Mason can't. Do you see what I'm getting at here? It's not that the backups don't get a lot of practice time It's that they do so while being placeholders for Ben. I don't imagine Canada said I'm pretty sure Ben is going to miss this game I better coach Mason up. More likely it was next man up and standard is the standard Mason will play the way we expect Ben to play period.

Bottom line Rudolph played piss poor football and had some other contributing factors. I said during game day he does exactly what he is told to do. At some point he has to man up and say screw that I'm running this play or he is going to be a journeymen backup.

As far as Ben holding the offense back yes he absolutely does because he lacks the mobility to run a full offense taking snaps from center in shotgun, pistol an every where in between. Canada is also to blame as his play design and groupings are crap at times. Mason was in on that as well.

My point in all this is that as an organization they fail at putting guys in position to win games due to the teams philosophy. Until that changes this will be the norm.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Don't we all remember over 200 yards rushing,2 rush TD's not to mention 3 straight pass plays when it was first and goal ..I do ..We didn't not win because of Rudolph alone .The kid threw FIFTY friggin times ,meanwhile Najee is chomping at the bit to get going ..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I wonder if he throws the majority of his first team practice passes to Mcloud?

• Like Like x 1