1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

For those fans that wanted Ben to be benched and start Mason

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Nov 14, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yikes, if Ben plays they win against the Lions IMO. Mason missed too many easy throws, the slant to DJ near the end of the game :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Ben plays and the Steelers win. There is no doubt in my mind.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Winner Winner x 4
  3. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    We've all seen the Steelers lose games like this with Ben playing - think the point is they have a real need at QB.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I've been waiting all year to see Matt Canada's offense run by Mason Rudolph and this is what I get!!!!

I have ben blaming the lack of success of Canada's offense this year squarely on Ben's shoulders and this game proved me entirely wrong.

If this is as good as Mason and Canada can do against the worst team in the NFL I want out of this nightmare. Not only do I want a new QB for next year, but can we also get a new Offensive Coordinator?

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    It's impossible to prove they would have won had Ben played today. I do know I have seen Ben have games worse than Rudolph did today against teams that weren't any better than the Lions.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Can I get a Amen.
    Sadly I wanted Mason 2 do Well. I didn't want 2 have 2 draft a Qb .
    I bet Ben is sitting back thinking.....Yeah Blame it all on Me.
    If only Ben wasn't in there they could run Canada's real offense, would run under center more, throw 2 the middle of the field more, and it would open everything up more......My A$$, and it was against the worse passing D in the league.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You are correct...We do not know for sure, but I have never seen Ben play against the worst passing D in the league, and Have 1 Td, and 1 int.....not in memory...You maybe able 2 prove Me wrong, but it's not coming 2 mind.

8. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    My takeaway from today is this team just isn't anything special even with Ben behind center. They have a few really good players, some decent ones and some starters that would be second or third stringers if we are all being honest. The team plays hard, just not always smart. They never quit on Tomlin, but some of these guys despite hope, like Edmunds, Bush and Snell are likely as good as they are ever going to be and frankly, they just aren't good enough to play championship caliber football. This is a 9-7-1, 8-8-1, 7-9-1 team that might stumble in to the playoffs because the AFC is a free for all this year. If they do, they'll likely get bounced out in a first round humiliation similar to last year. Do I hope for a better fate? Absolutely, it's why I watch every week. But I'm nothing if not a realist. This team needs re tooled from the bottom up. And although I'm neither a Tomlin apologist or hater, I wouldn't mind this team moving in another direction.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Perfectly said.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I don't think the Raiders had the worst passing defense in the league then, but the Terrell Pryor 98 yard TD run game comes to mind. If I'm remembering right, Ben was dreadful in that game and that was ten years ago. Although, to be fair, I think he was coming off an injury.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Today’s game plan appears like it was dumbed down for Rudolph. Apparently not dumb enough

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Andrew Luck. Maybe he stayed in shape? Maybe he would like to play QB for Steelers in 2022. Good RB, potentially good Oline and decent D.

Andrew Luck. The only hope. Steelers can't afford Rodgers or Wilson.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    If Ben plays we probably have the same outcome. Let's not act like Ben doesn't miss passes too Lol.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I like that. Idea.

15. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    I'm hoping for Wilson.

Give him whatever he wants lol

16. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I like that idea too....but the thing is. I think he would still be under contract to Indy or they would at least have the rights to him.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Today didn't prove anything. The sample size is simply too small. Mason doesn't get 1st team snaps in practice. Plays aren't designed/adapted with his strengths and weaknesses in mind. You think Canada was going to change things up for this 1 game? Of course not, he's going to have the exact same system and calls as he would if Ben was in the game. That's what the team is used to at this point.

Rudolph left a lot to be desired, but it's too small a sample size to conclude much of anything. Josh Allen was known for having accuracy problems early in his career. Do I think Rudolph will ever be Josh Allen? Of course not. Chances are Rudolph is a career backup. But we won't know that until we see the team commit to him as the starter (if that happens, which it might not). We also won't know exactly what we have in Canada until Ben is gone. Then we'll see him utilizing his system exactly as he sees fit. A young QB won't dictate to him what plays to run

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't want Ben benched in favor of Rudolph. What I do want is that when Ben is out have him be out and get a full week's practice with Rudolph. In this game the Steelers most veteran receiver is out for the season, their biggest mismatch at receiver was out with a game time decision. Their best route running receiver was played In a less than optimal position.. Throughout the course of the game they lost two starting guards. Then just some strange play calling. Watt makes a play on offense then disappeared, Muth disappeared as did Ebron and Gentry. Harris was effective to start but oline issues quickly stymied him. Rudolph isn't creative enough to create plays on the fly. That McCloud was the top receiver says more about the Lions taking things away than it does about Rudolph and the rest of the offense. Just wasn't a formula for dominating football.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What?? Mason practices with the 1st team more than Ben does. Who do You think takes all the 1st reps when Ben has his weekly Vet days, and Limited practice days every week...Tomlin???

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Well, I'm still not sure what to say about Canada's offense. Not sure that either Ben or MR are capable.

Even if that's true, however, a really good coach does what he needs to to make sure to get the most out of what he's got. The scary part is if Canada is doing exactly that and this is as good as it gets. You can only squeeze a lemon so hard. Eventually there's no more juice to be had.

That leaves only a few untasty possible conclusions:

a) Our OC is so bad it doesn't matter who we have on the offensive side of the ball, including QB. We need a new OC.
    b) Our overall offensive talent, including at QB, is so bad, it doesn't matter who we have at OC. We need an infusion of talent.
    c) Both are bad and we need a complete and total retool.

• Like Like x 1
  21. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    From what I can gather in the last few years during the week practices are very vanilla. They aren't targeted they are cleaning up execution errors and focusing on skill development. So whether or not Rudolph gets 1st team snaps in practice doesn't matter because it is just vanilla plays not designed for a weekly opponent.

• Like Like x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well then why does everyone complain Ben doesn't do those practices???

23. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019

• Like Like x 1
  24. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    :shrug: No squirrels to yell at? I have no idea why other than it can strain team chemistry if guys look at as Ben played horrible and gets a day off and a ping pong table. I play great mistake free football and I have to be here a 6 am working.

• Like Like x 1
  25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Roethlisberger sucks. He is a shell of his former self. QB is stagnant. Rudolph and Haskins will provide same results. Obviously.

• Disagree Disagree x 1