1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Todays bad coaching decisions

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Nov 14, 2021.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    - End of the 2nd. 4th and goal at the 2. 7-7 game. Lions couldn't move the ball. Should've gone for it. Worst case Lions had short field. We play conservative and take the 3. Kick-off. Bad coverage. They find out they can run all over us. Get 3, tie game, and get ball after half.

- Wasted a timeout. They played Renegade and we got two stops in a row. 3rd and 10 and waste a timeout.

- Wasted another timeout on 3rd and long for the Lions.

- Why didn't he take the holding penalty on 2nd to last punt for the Lions? It was 4th and 25 or something. It would've pushed them back 10 more yards. It would've been like 3rd and 35. This was a field position game. He declined it. They boom a punt and we get a hold. Then we get the ball at our 10.

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I think most NFL Coaches kick that FG. I think most fans (me) want to go for it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    You take the points and kick the fg. Especially in a close game. I’ll agree the coaches own this tie aka Loss. But you take the points. So I’ll agree with Tomlin on that.

The time outs were poorly handled . Agreed.

The playcalling is bad . The last play is inexcusable.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Agree they should have gone for it. You also forgot this scenario - first and goal at the five, three straight throws, FG. Why TF did they draft a power back if not to use him there?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I agree with everything you wrote. They played not to lose the game. It could have been over by halftime but they let Detroit run all over them by making it close the entire game. If I were every other team I would use the second half of the seahawks game as a blueprint. It's what Detroit just did to us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    They tried running it with other backs, with terrible results. My guess is, they didn’t want to run the treads off of Najee, so with no alternative, they passed it to Ray Ray.

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That bothers me a lot more than kicking the field goal on fourth down. Harris needs get the ball at least once, if not twice, in that series.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Umm I do remember You said in another comment before ....they Do this Because of Ben....So was it Ben fault they did the same thing today???

9. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    TOMLIN said the lions had 6 D Lineman on the first down which was initially a run call. Some teams can actually scheme to sell out on stopping the run. We just are not used to seeing it with our coaching staff.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Never..... You take the easy points. Nothing worse then Marching the field, and coming away empty handed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    That whole series defies logic. I get that maybe you try and surprise them on first down. But, to throw the next two downs? Just silly. And, enough already with the damn flanker screens to McCloud. I didn't mind that call once or twice a game to Juju because he has the strength to break a tackle or two and get some positive yards. A weak breeze knocks 14 and 18 over.

12. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Especially when playing an offense as terrible and one dimensional as Detroit with Goff. I mean all you have to do is take away the run….. dare them to pass. They surely couldn’t run up and down the field on us…..

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tulsa

Tulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    Realize I'm in Arkansas and only listened to the game on the radio app. So I had a couple of questions for those who could see the gmae. On the 3 plays where they never ran the ball, one of the commentators said we decided to get too cute on our play calling instead of just letting the Oline take over. Is that what happened?

Also, don't know where else to put this...but they said the running into the kicker was BS....well they didn't exactly say BS, but you know. My question is, was it?

14. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    The O Line couldn’t run block once they lost both guards. Harris was lucky to pick up a yard or 2 at that point.

The running into the punter was a bad call I’m not even sure he actually touched him. Punter sold it though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    That's why you go for 7. If you don't get it a one dimensional offense has the ball at their 2. Instead we take 3. Punt and horrible coverage and they have the ball at like the 35.

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He definitely touched the punter. Sadly, by rule, it was the right call.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If You are in Arkansas why do You have a freaking Tulsa Helmet?

18. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    The last play is if you have a guy open at the sideline that can get OOB throw it, if not throw it away..

19. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Tomlin hasn't known how to use the clock his WHOLE career...Doubt he's all of a sudden gonna learn how to now!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  20. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Tomlin and Mason said it was because the 32nd ranked run D stacked the LOS.

Banner was active and they have the 2nd highest paid FB in the league and it was raining, so they went with the scattershot QB.

• Like Like x 1
  21. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    And is that a garlic bulb the one hand is holding????

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
  23. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Tomlin’s clock management and his situational football ability are just god awful. He doesn’t adjust at all during these games and it just looks like more times then not he has no idea what’s going on over there on the sideline. We’ll see how the rest of this season plays out but I just don’t want to deal with another late season collapse under Tomlin like we have seen the last 4-5 seasons. I’m tired of Tomlin getting a free pass and not being held accountable. How many bad losses or ties like yesterday and bad football in December and January do we have to see under Tomlin before we seriously start talking about his job security.

• Like Like x 1
  24. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Sheesh man, why so harsh on the greatest foosball coach of all time? You do know he's never had a losing season, right? The only reason they lose is because Ben throws INTs and skill positions fumble.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Shhhh stop the criticizing the coaching staff some are ultra sensitive to said talk...