1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolph = poor man's Derek Anderson

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    He is tall. He can move in the pocket. He can even run it a bit.

The reason he sucks is he has ZERO touch on his passes. 5 yard slants he throws at 100 mph for no reason, making it damn near impossible for a WR to adjust and catch.

Anything deeper than 10 yards he lobs up like a moonball, which makes the ball hang in the air forever, giving the DB time to turn around and defend.

He may have a strong arm but he's a lot like a poor man's version of Derek Anderson in the couple of years he was on the Browns. Big arm, zero touch.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    He played like he didn't practice all week.

I appreciate his willingness to pass to the middle of the field.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    Doesn't the backup QB usually practice during the week? Or do they just hold a clipboard on the sidelines?

4. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    I'm just saying what it looked like but I'm sure he practiced.

You can tell he's been getting lots of reps with Ray Ray because those passes generally looked the cleanest.

5. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    What's blatantly obvious to me is that the Steelers aren't going to win with him as first option and too many drives started off with him throwing the ball. He threw the ball 50 times today folks. I only watched the second half and my heart was in my throat every time he threw it. He's blown his opportunity to be the man for this team as far as I'm concerned. This team does not rally behind him or makes plays for him consistently and that's the sign of a loser QB which he is.

6. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    You were the one that predicted a guaranteed win. So don’t blame Mason. Blame the both sides of the ball.

7. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I’ll take Derek Anderson any day. Even circa 2021 Derek Anderson

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    sigh. Benny Lava is a poor man's Lenny Bava....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Rudolph is a decent backup but I can’t ever see them rolling in to a season with him as the starter.

He might look ok in a better setup with a good OLine, established running game etc but it was a big ask to expect him to elevate the team today, especially with having to worry about every snap sailing over his head.

Im not going to be too hard on him because he is a backup and he came in and played like a backup. It’s not like he is earning $30m a year

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    MR's passes were all over the place for the most part. High, low, wide, behind. They're also just a hair late out of his hand.

I wrote it in Gameday thread, but that's a recipe for disaster, not only in terms of INT's but also in getting your receivers killed on routes across the middle.

I have zero faith in him as a NFL QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018

A decent backup? I don't think he's even that. He's a less accurate version of Landry Jones.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Benny Lava

Sep 16, 2019
    Rudolph makes Landry Jones look like Derek Anderson.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    He isn't a decent backup either. When the Steelers finally cut him, he'll be sitting on the couch watching from home when nobody picks him up. Rudolph is Landry Jones 2.0

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    No he’s not even a decent backup. A backup is expected to shoulder the load when needed. Rudolph has not shown this. He did show it in 2019 and he sure didn’t show it today

15. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    How much of that was the weather and how much was MR?

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He sure isn't check down Charley, Batch had more pizazz. We could use another Charley Batch

17. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Did you not watch the 2019 season? He was no different. His accuracy, for an NFL QB, was very poor.

18. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I think the keyword here is “touch”, and he doesn’t have it.

19. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I will give him credit for making a couple plays with his legs, and for saving most of those high snaps. He just appears to get too excited sometimes and throws slants too hard and locks on to a receiver. That bounce pass to McCloud was the killer when he was wide open in endzone

20. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Exactly how he played in college. This isn't new and he hasn't improved since he was drafted. How in the hell did they ever have a 1st round grade on Rudolph?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    I sure did but that was also 2 years ago.

I'm not sold on MR either but he has improved since 2019. He was making quicker decisions and good reads.

There were still moments where he was forcing the ball to guys (like JW in the redzone a couple
    times).

22. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I suspect the answer to that is they didn't have a first round grade on him. It's just the type of thing you say or leak to the press afterwards.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    WHAT DO YOU MEAN? HE PUT HIS HEART AND SOUL INTO IT EVERY WEEK!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    were you watching the same game the rest of us were? He missed at least three wide open receivers with horrible throws. He had one INT and should have had another due to high throws that were nowhere near the receiver. He basically induced two OPI's due to underthrows. It was just awful.

25. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    I have a rule: When a veteran QB gets benched for a rookie that was not being pushed to start sooner rather than later, they do not have IT/have IT anymore. Mason got benched for a rookie Hodges. Time to look elsewhere in the future.