1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cautionary tale selecting QB’s

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

This last paragraph about what should the Steelers do is spot on. They aren’t missing a bunch of pieces, they aren’t building backwards, they need a QB now. Can’t avoid taking a QB for fear of striking out.

“Take one early, in the first round,” Jeremiah said. “A guy with a chance to be the long-term guy. I don’t know if their quarterback of the future is on their roster now. I do think that would be a really good situation for a young quarterback. You have a young offensive line that is getting better. You have the running back and the tight end. There are pieces there that will make a very quarterback-friendly situation. I would think they are scouting the heck out of the quarterbacks that are coming out.”

• Like Like x 3
  2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Over the last few weeks Colbert has been on hand to watch Malik Willis, Matt Corral, Sam Howell, and Kenny Pickett. I know he also has been to NC practices to watch Howell. I think they know that a QB is coming this draft.
    They're a lot like they were when Ben was the pick. They had the pieces, they just need someone to manage the game.

3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I for one hope they steer clear of a first round QB. Wait until there is a sure fire guy there before you take one. (Mahomes / Murray) I don't think that type of guy is going to be available in the 22 draft.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Complete and utter bollocks. OT, G, IDL, CB, S, ILB, QB, WR all needs in the near future, like next year for most of those positions.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Mahomes was far from a sure fire guy...talk before that draft was that the Steelers might take a late first round flyer on him.

First round QBs have a high bust rate, but it's still a much, much better prospect than later round QBs.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The last sure fire guy I saw was Luck. Will take you 50 years to find a QB because the guys you think are sure fire can bust just as easily. Now you are just limiting your chances of success.

And I’ll bet you money that one of the guys from next years draft will be legit. It’s not a science and no one’s scouting ability is that good they can know for sure who is a hit and who is a miss.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    The QB position in general is prone to a lot of busts. Just the nature of the game. I once looked at the success rate of a team finding a multi-year starter based on draft position going back to around 1990. In the first round it was a 30% success rate. In the second it was around 15%. In the third around 5-10%, meaning only 1 or 2 in 20 QBs drafted in the third round ended up being multi-year starters. This is supported by just looking at the draft position of current starters in the league. Something like 23 or them were drafted in the first round.

If you want a QB of the future, you almost have to pick one in Round 1. Yes, bust percentage is high, but it gets worse later in the draft.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    One thing worries Me about taking a Qb in the 1st....If He sucks We will stick with Him at least His full rookie Contract....we Have proven that. Whereas if He is taken 2nd round , or lower We won't.
    So if He sucks He will suck for 5 straight Years with them doing everything 2 prove He doesn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Corral, Willis and Pickett are already out of our draft range

10. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    There's probably some truth to that. You're always going to give someone you've invested more in, more time to pan out.

Off-topic, but that's one of the reasons why I have no faith in Haskins. When a team as desperate for a QB like Washington gives up on their #1 draft pick after less than a season and a half, that is a serious red flag. Not saying he isn't worth a flyer, cause he cost nothing, just saying it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Not if we focus enough.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm just going by guys We know where not good that they took in the 1st , and stuck with anyways....Like J. Jones,and T. Edmunds just 2 name a couple. You know if they were 2nd round picks ,or lower We would have tried others in their places during their time Here.

13. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I actually wouldn't mind giving a QB his entire rookie deal to prove himself. There's a plethora of examples of QBs, that are wearing yellow jackets today, that were completely awful their first 2-3 years and by year 3 or 4, they developed into All Pro QBs. GMs and HCs lack of patience has ended the careers of tons of supposed busts. Maybe if the league shown more patience the number of busts decreases, maybe it doesn't. Perhaps showing the type of patience we have for HCs in Pittsburgh could translate into long term success at the QB position, perhaps it would ultimately be a waste of 4 seasons. Just a counter-argument for the sake of having one :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  14. RatbirdHater

RatbirdHater Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2017
    So I guess we wait another 15 or so years then?

15. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    If anyone is still delusional enough to believe that Rudolph is still a legit option, then there is just no help for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Um, they stuck with Mason for his entire contract and extended it a year.

17. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Not me, the question is do the Steelers agree.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Rudolph has a better chance at a long NFL career if he moved to running back.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Kolbassi

Kolbassi Well-Known Member

May 1, 2017
    i think the steelers had a 1st round grade on him.

20. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Mahones hasn't been setting the world on fire lately

21. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I heard that too and never understood it. He has had enough chances to prove the FO wrong.

22. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Even a surefire bets (Burrow & Lawrence) will struggle in year 1. Enjoy this year while you can. Next year will be ugly.

23. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I don’t 100 percent disagree but man that was a rough spot today. Last second start terrible weather awful O Line that couldn’t run the ball after o line injuries. Really hard to judge that performance and for the record I don’t think he has an NFL arm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    The Steelers, other than getting lucky with Ben, have kind of sucked at picking QBs in the last 30 years....

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Technically they’ve already struck out once by selecting Rudolph so that should improve the odds…

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1