1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Draft guy isn't impressed with Najee Harris

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Nov 11, 2021.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Najee started a bit slow but he was over 4.0 YPC in October and scored a TD in every game he played, winning offensive rookie of the month. We can pick and choose stats to show just about anything.

The Steelers were running fine early last year but couldn’t run the ball at all towards the end after teams figured out that Ben wouldn’t go deep, to the point where they basically stopped even trying. At least they have a running threat that teams have to account for now.

Much like you I was very much on the OLine train leading up to the draft and was stunned when they picked Freirmuth in the second in particular, but we have what we have and I’m going to get behind the team and the picks they made at this stage.

2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm kinda in the middle.

Najee is never gonna make guys miss like Barry Sanders. But he is still good.

Thing is ... I can't say for sure, because our line still isn't making holes for him.

3. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The argument was that it was folly to draft a RB to fix the run game when all the other elements were missing - OL, deep threats, QB who can throw deep.

We picked a better RB and are running him into the same brick wall we ran our backs into last year.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Now add in his rushing TD’s, receiving yards and receiving TD’s and it’s not hard to see how much he has helped them improve.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I'm aware of your argument. Everyone's likely aware of it, because you seem to make a routine of trying to throw it down wherever you can in a vain attempt to declare yourself right. But you quoted my post comparing this year's offense to that of 2013 and said it made your argument. It doesn't. Neither did they try fixing the running game exclusively through drafting a RB. They drafted two linemen as well.

Further, the tweet you posted isn't helping your argument either. Because in comparing a full 2020 to eight games of 2021 you're not only showing this year already to be averaging four more yards per game, but the respective trends suggest the gap is only going to widen. This was generally expected, since last season the running game started out fine through the first six weeks before falling apart, while this year - with a new back, new line, and new OC - most thought we would see a gradual build.

Rushing yards/game
    2020 ... 2021

141 ... 75
    109 ... 39
    169 ... 45
    bye ... 62
    136 ... 147
    129 ... 119
    94 ... bye
    48 ... 115
    46 ... 105

All of this suggests the folly is to keep smugly declaring your argument has been proven correct.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Dear Chad, of course he is not close to peak idiot Bell, he has played in a grand total of 8 NFL games. Way to give a guy a chance numnuts.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not to mention it’s been pointed out numerous times and now once again that there were no lineman worth taking there when they chose Harris.

upload_2021-11-12_16-2-20.gif

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Well, you run your victory lap, we can all check back in a couple years when the Steelers are hip deep in a total rebuild and see how that RB with 1200 touches is working out.

9. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    They were 12th in scoring last year, they're 23rd so far this year.

10. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    One thing Harris has solved, and that's 1 yard to go first downs. One of the biggest rear jacks the Steelers have had issue with the last 4 years. With that, I am grateful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Also, this is one of the worst lines in the NFL. They are young and have 2 rookies and another rookie tight end. When they come into their own, the running lanes will open up more and he will do better. He is doing all this with no line. Something to think about it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    1. I think the person concerned with victory laps would be the one who makes common practice of popping up in threads declaring they're right despite facts - even the ones they happen to bring to the discussion - showing otherwise.

2. Given the propensity to declare victory in the face of evidence to the contrary, I'm pretty sure the Steelers could be hoisting the Lombardi two years from now and you'd still declare you were right because Harris rushed for two yards less than Parker and Bettis combined in SB XL.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This dude is a complete fraud. Plus he’s a broken record.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    [​IMG]

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben first 11 weeks was way better than Ben now. Thats the link you are looking for.

Not Harris who is clearly helping them win games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    how good has bell been since leaving pit. he wasn't lighting anything on fire with the jets.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Well, nearly identical at this point tbh. Harris averaging 0.1ypg more rushing and on pace to beat Bell out in receptions and ypg receiving by a bit (although that is carried by an outlier Bengals game, so they could reliably be about the same here). Peak Bell had one of the best lines in the league, while even as a rookie had a Beachum, Foster, Velasco, DeCastro, Gilbert offensive line (Pouncey injured) which is much better than what we are trotting out there right now. I know its just a take to have a take to talk about, but its certainly one that holds weight like a wet paper towel. Give it some time.

If Harris continues to put up 3.6 ypc as year 2 and 3 go on, then maybe we can talk. But he isn't failing to produce (big plays etc) due to personal deficiencies, but rather due to the fact that we are struggling to block for him and really do anything else for him on offense. Its pretty clear to anyone that watches this team that Harris, Friermuth, and DJ have been carrying this offense. I seem to remember a similar sentiment spoken about Bell as a rookie... that he only got yardage due to volume and his best asset was taking dump off passes for 7 yards, etc. This was peak "we should've drafted Eddie Lacy" time. Year two and beyond shut that s**t up real quick lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Dudes hammered on 5 cocktails. It’s the O line that’s it. James Conner looks like Barry Sanders in Arizona.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Well seeing how the rest of the backs are 18 carries for 40 yards, is there something else we should be doing? The fact of the matter is if you replace Harris with any other RB that isn't in the top 10-15 starters in the league right now, our rushing offense becomes much worse than it is even now. That's an indictment of the line more than the RB. The guy we let go in favor of Harris (Conner) is only getting 3.9 ypc on a much better team and line.

I was definitely on your side for most of this year. I was squarely in team "don't draft a RB" this year, trust me. I didn't see the value of drafting a RB in the first round due to short career spans and the ability of later round RBs to flourish in the right situations. I even still question whether or not 6 years of a top RB is worth that investment from time to time... but even a blind man can see that Harris has the goods. If we manage to assemble even a decent Offensive line around him, he is going to do special things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    For arguments sake, its a different brick wall (4 new starters this year)... just same density of brick used lmao

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    You cry like an old woman. Remind me of one of my aunts. Try to relax and remember it’s just a game. Entertainment

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    I'm not bashing Harris, who I think is a fine player, I'm bashing the Steelers' team building approach. I fear he'll be largely spent by the time the Steelers have the team to compete for a title again. RBs have such short career arcs, usually the first 4-5 years then it's downhill.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    What am I missing? Williams has played 1 more game and yet still has less rushing and receiving yards.
    upload_2021-11-12_15-59-58.png

• Like Like x 1
  24. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    That's a fair assessment, and the main thing I struggled with when I was evaluating whether or not Harris should've been the guy at 24. I go 6 years since we have him for 5 being a first rounder and one year of franchise tag. Although if we aren't in a position where we can compete for a title within 6 years, then its an organizational failure.

We have the basis of a really good team. We have a high end safety, and likely the best defensive player in the whole league. On top of that Heyward somehow gets better with age and is the best 3-4 DE in the league. We don't need another future HoF QB. Just a guy that can be an above average starter and put together a solid OL. We have an excellent TE in the making and a couple of solid young WR's. We just aren't as far away as people think we are. We have some money to spare (sure we will have to lock in Minkah among other players) but we will have some money to throw into the FA pool. I would love to see us spend that at either OL or CB/S and then draft the other positions. Even with Ben gone, I really think as long as we dont draft a complete bust QB or sign someone that is garbage, then we should be competing for a title within the next 5 years or so for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Statistically yes. However Bell had a better O line (by far), and a better version of Ben to keep teams from stacking 8 in the box all the time.

• Winner Winner x 1