1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My observations from the browns revenge

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Oct 31, 2021.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    1. Three words....... Defense, Defense, Defense!!!!!

2. The dropoff in production behind Najee is prodigious

3. Ben got away with a few bad throws

4. Kick the damn fg!!!!!

5. you have a 270 lb holder inside the 5 yd line, naturally, you give it to the puny kicker to make a play .... Must be an old Jedi mind trick

6. The refs naturally blew a few calls

7. Friermuth should get 10 targets per game

8. After the Bengals reverted to type, we really do have a chance at the division

9. Still waiting for our 3 million dollar fb to be a bigger part of the offense

10. No excuse for chase claypool not to be dominant every week

11. If Aaron Rogers thinks he owns any team, he should look at Ben's record against Cleveland

• Like Like x 5
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Agreed with 2,3 and 6-11. Disagree somewhat with 1. Strongly disagree with 4 and 5.

To get this out of the way again, 4 and 5 are what I would consider Mike Tomlin's greatest usage of the Outcome Bias. Why? If the play is executed correctly without Boz getting hurt, this game likely has an even more different final scoreboard total. However, since it did not and Boz got rocked, it is considered idiotic. Personally, I had little problem with the call. The lack of a personal foul though is what I have an issue with though said issue will never be resolved until the NFL and NFL Competition Committee institute disciplinary action and enforce penalties on Refs for poorly officiated games. Until that happens, expect more of the same.

Partially disagree with one mainly due to one aspect I am shocked you left out; the maturation of the Offensive Line. Yes, yes, multiple hits and a Myles Garrett sack are still some growing pains this line has to get over; doubly so for Dan Moore's shortcomings against speed rushers. However, what should not be overstated is the continual improvement in the running game. Again, not all perfect but a gradual upswing since the Denver game. It will only look to get better from here for them. How does this affect the defense?

The fewer snaps a Defense has to go against, the more rested and refreshed they will be. This is of the upmost importance for a Top Tier Unit as having that additional downtime can allow great results to continue.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    #2 You have to give McFarland more than 1 damn carry!!!

What was with Tomlin going grade school rules and allowing all the RBs to get some playing time?

#9 Agree 100% If your not using Watt to help in blocking for this game why is he even on the team?

4. BigBensPosse

BigBensPosse Active Member

Dec 28, 2015
    I agree with so much. But the part of winning the division i don't see it. Let me tell you why. After the Bears and the Lions we should be 6-3. Then I look at their last 8 games. Holy ****. Toughest in NFL. So win the division I don't know. Offense is so so at best. I see a collapse again. Hell after today we have to put another kicker on the damn roster to protect against Tomlins dumb ****. When Boswell got the ball he had no idea what the hell defense Cleveland was even in. He was going one direction no matter what. He got killed. Defense is good enough to give them a chance. But its not good enough for the way the steelers offense plays. it isn't good enough to hold the teams in that 8 game stretch to 10 points a game. So the offense won't keep up. The offense is a day late and a dollar short. They just aren't gonna win us football games with 15 points. Ben looking like he's one percent rostered in a 10 team standard fantasy league. What is his percentage? I mean he can't make a fantasy team back up unless you are a steelers fan. Ben is two years past the end. What is he thinking? What are the steelers thinking? Win the division no way.

5. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

I'm not sure which schedule you're looking at....
    I see a very beatable chargers team
    A Bengals team that just lost to the jets
    Another game against the browns, who we just beat
    2 games against the Ravens, who's secondary can't tackle to save their lives
    Another very beatable vikings team and
    A hugely disappointing chiefs team
    ..... You said toughest stretch in the league... Really????

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Yea we went from "Find me 3 more wins" to possibly making the playoffs if this offense can find their rhythm and the team can stay healthy down the stretch. All of those games are very winnable.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

Exactly...... And I totally left out the Titans, who just lost derrick Henry for the season

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Great job once again, BGP. Stellar stuff. I don't always agree with everything, but you bring it every week.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Yep, this is where I'll admit I was wrong again - the strength of schedule changes during the year. That said, we're one Najee or Watt or Heyward injury away from being an easier mark on other teams' schedules.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. NewMexicoLobo

NewMexicoLobo Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2021

Nice observations. However #3 was a non-issue. Every QB in almost every game "gets away" with a "few" bad throws. Realistically, there was only one ball that could have gotten picked. Ben threw the ball well.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    It's an issue, IMO - he throws at least one easily interceptable ball a week and has had an amazing streak of getting them dropped. He also seems to be fumbling in the pocket more - 5 times in 7 games - because the clock in his head isn't sync'd with his lack of mobility.

3 losses, 5 Ben TO's. Needs to be cleaned up.

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    If it was a playoff game it would be a revenge game. Good win though.

Solid list there blackandgoldpatrol

#1 Strong effort and will hold them up the rest of the season.
    #2 True. Benny Snell Football is deflated, I like Ballage better and McFarland is a scat back.
    #3 Like every week a % of his throws you hold your breath.
    #4/5 You take the points period. If they lost the game and Boz OL Popcorn would have been roasted like Jiffy Pop.
    #6 The zebras are a joke league wide and are getting worse.
    #7 MUTHHHH!!!! Not bad for a rook! The future is bright with this kid.
    #8 The bungles are not of old
    #9 Who? Oh the special teams El Capitan :lolol:
    #10 Chase needs to be involved more as the #2. D Johnson is showing his #1 status and wearing it well.
    #11 Don't dis our next QB :hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This is what I knew was going to happen, Steelers fans were going to dig out their biggest pair of black and gold glasses while beating very soft teams. You might not think much of the upcoming schedule but they are considerably better teams than what they have been beating, barely beating I should add.

Like I said, we will find out what kind of team we have starting with the Chargers and stretch of games thereafter.

I won’t get my hopes up until they show me something then, in the meantime I’ll just enjoy the wins they are giving me.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  14. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    The Chiefs have the toughest schedule for the second half, hands down. We've already played 7 games against teams with a .700 winning percentage. our last ten games it's barely above .500.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't know if I've watched a game this Year were there wasn't one dropped ints in a game. I'm being serious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Why do people keep bringing up the Chargers like they're some measuring stick, they have the same record as the Steelers, they just lost to a average Patriots team at home with a rookie QB.

• Winner Winner x 2
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    For starters they scored 47 points one game, 30 in another, we haven’t broken 27 yet and scored under 20 points 4 times.

Herbert is a far better QB then Ben at this point in their careers, Ekler is a nightmare to defend, Williams has gone cold right now but can be a big time WR and they have a very good pass defense that could make for a very long day for Ben.

Then there is Bengals, Ravens, Vikings, Titans and then KC. All those teams have superior talent to what the Steelers have faced so far. Although Titans just got a little easier to face but still a tough match up.

18. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    They gotta get to 6-3 and hope to go 4-4 after. I agree that's a tough schedule, and a couple other factors to consider. We're probably going to get more injuries ourselves, and 5 of the last 8 are on the road.

6-3 is the short term goal, take our chances after that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I think it's doable. I picked them to go 9-8....your scenario puts them at 10-7. Could sneak in as a WC team. Like you say, they have to stay healthy and their offensive line has to continue to improve.

• Like Like x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Are all these team You just named mightier than those Bills???
    Everyone of those teams have lost, and Some have lost 2 some not so good teams. So just by saying We will lose probably 2 one or More of those teams .:shrug: You know what ......I agree. I never thought We would go 14- 3.....but if We lose 2 any of the teams doesn't show where We are at....isn't some kind of measuring stick.

Should that be like saying...Well KC lost 2 the Bills so We are better, or Tennessee, and Bengals lost 2 the Jets So ...we are better....,or Better Yet ...Does it Make the Jets Great Because they Beat the Titans, and the Bengals???:shrug:
    I thought We would go 10- 7 so ....yes I expect 4 more losses.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Herbert has had games where he played like crap, I don't care who he is better than he still struggles they scored six points vs the Ravens, their run defense sucks. The Titans aren't that scary no Henry, a bad defense, Vikings suck a nonplayoff team.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Great, you have nothing to worry about then :thumbs up: