1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

This team is the polar opposite of the Cowher era Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Remember the days of run the ball and stop the run? The Steelers had an epic streak of not allowing a team a 100 yard rusher -- teams regularly were stuffed for 0 yard runs or hit in the backfield. It seemed like running the ball against the Steelers was utterly futile and a waste of downs. At the same time, we had a rich stable of running backs capable of picking up 4+ yards a run and busting out a 50 yard touchdown. Remember the era when converting a 3rd and 2 was a given? The days when our running game would put up 150 yards and 2 TDs and it was no big deal?

Now we are the exact opposite. We can't stop even the worst teams from imposing their will and running the ball down our throats with no name running backs (see the Seahawks in the second half of the last game). And despite drafting all-world Najee Harris in the first round we can't run the ball at all. Every 3rd and inches feels like a coinflip. 4th and inches where every other team in the league, including the Bucs with 46 year old Tom Brady who subsists on a diet of organic lima beans and alkaline water, simply QB sneaks it for 3 yards without nary a hangnail....and yet this is not obtainable for the Steelers. We are now the opposite of that bygone era. We can't stop the run and we can't run it for an inch...even in the most dire of situations.

This is the reason why teams like the Browns, who possess 2 elite backs in Chubb and Hunt, will be nightmare matchups for us regardless of whether they trot out Baker Mayfield or Brady Quinn at QB.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Its not so much the Tomlin vs Cowher argument.

The argument is more that

Aaron Smith, Kimo, Casey Hampton, later on Brett Kiesel were a better front 3 on the D-Line

Than say our current starters of Cam, Isiah Buggs, and Chris Wormley.

Truth be told Aaron Smith was the entire kog in that run stopping line.

Aaron Smith may be the most vastly under rated Steeler in Steelers history to how good he was.

In 2008 the Steelers I think didn't allow a rush over 7 yards in the entire season.

Even Peter King did his all 2000's team he but Aaron Smith has his top DE, and people were like why him. Peter King said Aaron Smtih is one of the best defensive linemen to ever play in the NFL and no one even knows about it.

He was just destroy offensive lineman (sometimes 2 at a time) and allow the linebackers to make many of the plays

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    We may be bad, But we are in Good Company.

Right now for Yards per Carry the offense is tied with the 6-1 Rams at 3.7 ypc

Right now defense is tied with the 5-1 Cowboys at 4.3 ypc

You have to expect this from the young offense as they get their footing, and you also expect this from a D-Line that has lost 2 of its 3 starters as they juggle players in and out trying to find out what works best to cover these injuries.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I would have to Say Casey Hampton was the Cog of that wheel. He allowed Smith to be the monster he was. Casey was the last true Nose Guard we have seen. The man Commanded a double team on every play. That allows for someone to be free. Don't get me wrong Smith was a beast and amazing and i would take him anyday over tons of players just not sure he would have been as good without Hampton as well. Big Snack was probably the most underrated player of that team as that is one of if not the most "unsexy" positions there are.

However it was a different time back then. The league is switched to a Pass First offense across the board. IF you sell out to stop the run unless the team has a terrible QB you are going to get lit up all over the field. How many games happened back in the Cowher era where you saw high 40's and even 50 plus pass attempts (i don't just mean the steelers)? Thats pretty common today. Cowher was an old school coach and would probably have a hard time in today's NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This:this!:, but Also ...if Benny kept up....Teams started just not running on Us , and Would Just play the short game with the pass for the run. We had 2 change 2 keep up with that. Also are You comparing this Line 2 Tampa Bays line. LoL.
    This kind of stuff make me wonder Benny...do You watch football, or other teams play???
    Do You understand what You are seeing, or rely on what Talking Heads tell You. If You compare our O-Line with Tampa....You either have
    1. Not watched Us play
    2. Not Watched Tampa play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Casey was key, but if we had Smith instead of Hood in SB XLV the result would have been different

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    .... and Pouncey at Center.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    "Remember the days of run the ball and stop the run?"

Cowher had a lot of success in those two areas, but not always.
    If someone wants to look hard enough for examples where rushing wasn't futile, there are a few.

93 season WC playoff loss - KC had 28 more rushing yards than the Steelers
    96 divisional loss - Patriots had 194 yards and 3 TDs rushing
    97 championship loss - gave up 150 rushing yards to Denver
    99 season - 26th in the league in defense rushing yards (29th in rushing yards/attempt)
    02 divisional loss - Titans had 32 more rushing yards

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    No Benny you're a Ravens fan remember? I'm surprised the usual gang didn't already remind you. :smiley1:

10. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Good post.

As usual, the OP is using an ill-thought claim that make a half-assed criticism.

Teams “impose their will” on us yet still lose.

Steelers can’t convert 4th and inches? Yet in 2020 we were 11th in 4th down conversion percentage.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Another thing too was the 3-4 D. Back then we were one of the very few who played it. It was fresh and innovative and would catch teams off guard. Now, not so much. If Steelers wanted to surprise teams they should consider going back to 4-3.

12. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    This is another example of this organization being stubborn with change. When Tomlin was brought in he agreed to stay inthe 3-4 even though he is naturally a 4-3 guy. My understanding was this was done for Lebeau and of course now Butler who was his protege. i guess we do deploy some hybrids but the 3-4 is our base. With this team "always contending" it would be impossible to switch unless you commit to a rebuild as the personnel required are different.

13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They have stuck with the 3-4 because it works. The defense nearly carried an atrocious offense into the playoffs in 2019. They were very good again most of last season, but losing Bush, Dupree, and Haden for the playoff game doomed them.

It's not like this year's team didn't have the potential for a hell of a defense, including the ability to stop the run. The problem was and is a lack of depth. They simply didn't have enough to survive losing Alualu and Tuitt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Of course the Steelers are polar opposite; the league as a whole isn't the same it was 20 years ago. ‍♂️

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I guess OP isn't aware the game has changed since Cowher retired :facepalm:, I'm sure a NT like Hampton played more snaps than the Steelers current NT.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    As much as I love Aaron Smith, especially since coming out of Northern Colorado, I think Hampton was what drove that D-line. But it's definitely 1, and 1-A. Both were vastly underrated. That defense was something else. Made guys like Foote, Haggans, Porter and Gildon look like All-world behind them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    So how do we go about fixing this in 2021? I think most of us know what we have but I haven't seen any solutions (opinions of course) that would change what we are. Personally, I think that ship sailed months ago. I am someone who focus on how we end up vs how we start so this could get a lot better or infinitely worse. We'll see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Tomlin was hired as a DEFENSIVE Coach, Specifically DB's...He hasn't drafted or developed ONE good DB since his hire! Wasted all Bens prime years, on **** Defenses, that get totally embarrassed in the Playoffs! Had to trade for or get FA's like Haden/ Nelson / Minkah...To have any semblance of a Defensive Backfield!

Same goes for his coordinators...In FIFTEEN years, he hasn't had ONE OC or DC, or any Assistant be woo'd by another team! Not ONE that was even close! Great Defensive mastermind, And great developer of Men lol!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Her mom only gives her a limited amount of internet time. Mostly on Mondays.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He hasn’t drafted or developed one DB since he was hired? That’s just flat out not true.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Bruce Arians?

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    No...He was let go

23. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Who?

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Come on My Friend.
    I understand You don't like Him , but You have 2 give Him some credit.
    All this talent on the team through the Years he has had his hand in developing.
    You are correct on the DBs though, but John Elway has Yet 2 get a good Qb, and You would think that's His specialty. :shrug:
    I don't agree with a lot He(Mike T) does , but I can also pick flaws in every Coach in the League. So could You.
    Example: Sean Peyton is considered one of the Great Coaches in the league, and His Qb through most of it Drew B is considered one of the greatest Qbs...Yet one SB only, and 5 losing season in that time.
    All I'm saying is no coach is perfect, but You have 2 give credit when credit is due.:thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL :roflmao: