1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bens Successor Draft Thread

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, May 8, 2021.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Sorry, if I missed it. He is doing just fine up there in NE.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He was the Only Qb out of the last 3 from Bama...I thought should Have went in the 1st.
    I was kinda hoping He would drop 2 Us. LoL

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hebert in SD??? There out there you have to find them.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I certainly wouldn't take him in the first round, but some time after that if they don't take a quarterback in the opening round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I wouldn’t even think about taking him. There’s no benefit. He won’t be BPA.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Watched a bit more of Malik Willis, including a chunk of yesterday’s win vs Middle Tennessee in an extended highlight video. His physical ability is exceptional. As a rookie he would have a Top 5 NFL arm, and would probably be the second best running QB behind L Jackson. However, he had 3 interceptions yesterday that were 100% on him. One bad decision, and two bad under throws.

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not what I want 2 hear.
    I honestly Have not watched Him at all. So I couldn't say anything about Him

8. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    The two most overrated attributes for a QB are arm strength and mobility

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Another 3 interception game for Willis, and a loss as a 32 point favorite. So far I’ve only been able to find highlights of the last few minutes (including a lousy pass and interception by Willis), but I’m sure the game will be out there soon. I don’t care how much natural talent he has. If he can’t get it done at that lower FBS level, he’s no 1st round prospect.

Corral had a solid game again. I watched chunks of it as we were surfing between 3 games. Ole Miss had 4 offensive starters out, but got it done in Tennessee, and Corral had a solid passing day plus a physical 30 carry, 195 yard rushing effort. What strikes me about Corral is toughness. I’d never want to see my NFL QB try the stuff he does, but I like the thought of having a QB that wants it enough to pound the ball into SEC defenses without blinking. His teammates have to respect that and feed off of it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I just got 2 see Corral do it against the Top of the SEC....I seen Him do it against My Team, but We Suck...I also saw Him throw ....5 ints , against My sucky team last Year....What scares Me is He runs so Much....because He knows He can't depend the other part of His game....of course We shall See..

11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, Corral was much less disciplined last year. This year you can see him not pull the trigger at times when he would try to squeeze it into coverage last year. I saw it several times in the Alabama game this year. Unfortunately there is no All-22 to see what he was seeing downfield. An interesting stat is that 11 of his 14 interceptions last year came in 2 games. He also led a 42 point effort vs. Alabama last year and put up great stat lines vs. Kentucky and South Carolina (I still need to watch those games). He had some great games and two really bad ones. This season he has thrown 14 TDs vs. 1 int, and has 8 rushing TDs.

I also don’t like the thought of our QB running a lot, but I do like the thought of having a QB who can scramble for a key 1st down on 3rd and long. You’re saying that he runs because he doesn’t rely on the other part of his game. A lot of the runs are designed; mainly read options.

I’m not saying that Corral is “the guy.” Not yet anyway. He’s a legit prospect though. When I watch him play, I see a guy with the toughness to handle adversity better than a lot of the emotionally fragile QBs who get drafted and fall on their faces in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Corral is facing off against Willis on Nov 7th, I’ll be hoping to watch that.

13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I have not been all that impressed by Willis so far. Yeah, he makes the occasional “wow” play, but so have many QBs who didn’t have what it takes to perform consistently in the NFL. However, there’s plenty of football yet to be played, and plenty of film yet to be watched.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I disagree but that’s obvious from my sig :smiley1:

This guy thinks its a bad year to need a QB and the class has been underperforming.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nfl/nf...l/news-story/efb671057258364dde8ba4756f00c483

• Like Like x 1
  15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    This is my thought also. They'll probably bring in a mediocre vet for insurance and try to run with Rudolph.

They may draft a QB but my guess it won't be early but I could be wrong.

All I know is I read an article on the college Pitt QB Kenny Pickett. I guess he's lighting it up this year which I'm sure isn't going unnoticed by other would be teams.

16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The whole stadium could yell 'aww Shucks' in unison every time he makes a mistake

• Like Like x 2
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe I heard Corral is pretty injured/beat up, and may not play in their next game.

18. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I liked what Kenny Pickett did vs. a solid Clemson defense Saturday. There’s a condensed version of the game on YouTube- a little under 25 minutes. I’ve also watched a couple of his other games from 2021. I think he has a shot at being QB1 in the draft this year if he continues to play at his current level. I’m going to find some of his 2020 and 2019 games to see what’s different this season. His year over year statistical improvement is kind of Burrow-esque.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My Friend...Never mind. I'm not trying 2 make enemies, but that is a big statement Burr-esque.
    Burrows Had 60 Td passing, 5 tds rushing, and only 6 int...Against the Best teams college had 2 offer. I know You will say the weapons he had, but if You compare the Defense he had 2 play against, and look at the players they had on those Defense...it's not really close, and He went undefeated through all that. Heck everyone knows How much Talent LSU gets, but look at How far they have fallen since He left.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    But the Patriots has some of the worst skill players in the league.

21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Pickett if continues will go in the 1st round.

Lets not forget Ben didn't come from a powerhouse conference.

Who knows at this point what they are thinking. The bottom line is that they can't bring Ben back. That's the starting point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed, but Ben broke all kinds of records on that team, and conference at the time. Wasn't like He was just some no named Qb playing in a small conference, and that was all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I stand by what I said about his statistical improvement being Burrow-esque. Last year he had 13 TDs and 9 ints. This year through 7 games he has 23 TDs and 1 int. That’s a very uncommon turnaround, and my point is that I need to watch some of his games from last year vs. this year to identify why he’s improved so dramatically in his stats.

I sometimes get the sense that you feel like comparing the SEC to other conferences is like comparing the NFL to the CFL. There actually are great teams and players outside of the SEC. Really!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Talent is talent and there's quality players in FBS whether it's the SEC or the Sun Belt. This thing is, these past 6-7 years the top players really consolidated to about 3 schools: Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State; and then the next chunk going to Georgia, Oklahoma and Notre Dame. I think the expansion of the playoffs will bring better balance to the entire college landscape, but there's still good ball whether it be the ACC or Pac 12. B10 and SEC will remain the deepest conferences tho. But look at NFL rosters and see how many guys from Middle Tennessee or Boston College. Pitt alone has Tyler Boyd, Aaron Donald, Lafayette Pitts, Jordan Whitehead and many others having quality careers. Plus the likes of Shady McCoy, Dion Lewis and Larry Fitzgerald. Point is, talent is talent and NFL Scouts will find the talent. Pickett playing in the ACC won't hurt his stock one bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SpeedyMikeWallace

Oct 18, 2011
    His conference isn’t an issue, his age, mechanics, and happy feet are. Someone might reach on him in the first round but it shouldn’t be the Steelers

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1