1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Psychological Side of Injuries

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Oct 18, 2021.

1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Everyone.

I was thinking about Ben and his so-called "deteriorating" play. I am not buying what some here and the media are selling. That being his skill set has taken a major step back from where he was five, ten years ago. Yes, admittedly there has been some "physical" deterioration. It comes with age. HOWEVER, I think there is more there in the tank than he is demonstrating and it is a "confidence" factor more so than one of a "fading" skill-set.

Anyone who has played sports and has had a “significant” injury (like Ben’s elbow), knows that there is way more to the “Healing Process” than just the mending of “flesh” and “bone”. In Ben’s case, I am beginning to question some of his “mediocre” play and his “psyche”.

THINK ABOUT IT:

• Ben is coming off of Major Reconstructive Surgery. Again MRS! This is no simple feat to heal from, both physically and mentally as he continues to test the limits of his abilities.
    • The Offensive line is the biggest mental “battle” he is confronting. HE HAS A COMPLETYELY BRAND NEW O-LINE. A HUGE obstacle to overcome from a confidence and security standpoint. And several of them are rookies. FIVE BRAND NEW BODIES to protect him! Ben’s mind is in a “scary” place if you ask me.
    • Now, this may be all I need to know that this is way more a mental issue than a physical one. A rookie running back as we see is his “Safety Valve”. His “Security Blanket”. Najee leads the team in receptions! Huh? A rookie RB leading our team in receptions 1/3 into the season. Just Wow! Short, quick check-downs to get rid of the “hot potato”.
    • A new Offensive Coordinator that that he again has to work in "harmony" with.
    • He is missing Wide Receivers like they are strangers. He knows all of these guys. He has had a successful history with them but you could not tell by his play, which IMO goes back to his insecurities of the O-Line which in turn leads to him turning to his “safety valve” of Najee.
    Ben can make the throws. Go back and look at the film in the Detroit Pre-Season game. He was accurate, crisp. Passing with zip. He made a variety of throws and was on point. Forget that it was Detroit please.

No, no my Steeler comrades. IMO, Ben’s problems are more about mental than physical deterioration.

As the famous Yogi Berra once stated: “Baseball is 90% mental; the other half is mental". I think this applies to football (Ben) as well.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  2. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    No matter wether it’s physical or mental or both the fact is the guy doesn’t have it anymore. Why every team doesn’t put 7/8 guys near the LOS like Seattle was doing last night is beyond me. Ben can no longer stretch the field accurately and has become a check down QB.

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree. Been saying that.

4. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Jujubean:

Your Quote: "....become a check down QB." Absolutely agree. However, where we fork in the road is that I still believe he can make a variety of throws but is playing "out of character". Man, I do not want to say "scared" here. Not Ben. No way.

5. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey S.T.D

I have a funny feeling that you and I are going to be in the minority here. However, that is okay too (smile). Just another perspective. I just do not see his play dropping off as quick and as far as some fans are thinking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Same. It's a never ending battle with me on here. LoL.
    I'm not saying, He is what He was, but He is not near as bad as some try 2 say.

7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Most pro athletes hit a wall long before 40. The decline is sometimes gradual and other times it's fast and hard. So not sure why you refuse to believe that Ben hasn't hit that wall.

8. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I mean Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer even Payton’s last year won Super Bowls playing check down ball. Difference is those defenses were some of the best all time

9. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I would love to see what this team could be if and its a big if. If Tuitt and ALUALU were both healthy what the consistent pressure on opposing QB'S would do to help the DB'S.

If Decastro had one more good year in him to settle the young Oline and get the running game really working.

Then and only then could Ben succeed with his diminishing skill set.

None of that is going to happen, so I see the defense being good not great and the offense continuing to struggle.

6 and 11 would be optimistic

10. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The decline is often in consistency, not ability. Ben zipped a few nice passes against Seattle - on target and with good timing. He also botched a bunch - overthrows and underthrows. That's what happens with age. That's the tough thing to cope with. You end up saying "See! I still got it!". And then you don't. That intermittent reinforcement is the killer. It happened to Ward. It happen to Troy. It'll happen to Brady (not soon enough).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They were saying last night he had hurt his hip, Steelers were keeping that under wraps.

12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Off topic but good to see you Steelwinds, don't seem to have seen you post recently. Unless I'm just missing them all, which is equally likely.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019

Steelers could use Banner back and hope he can help the run game on the right side. Let’s face it if the Steelers are actually going to make the playoffs they will do it with Ben game managing and Najee carrying the offense. It’s just hard to run against 7 man fronts no matter how good the O Line is, and ours isn’t good to begin with.

We also must get Tuitt back on defense soon. The reports are just not encouraging that it is happening anytime in the near future.

14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Interesting take. His motion has changed, he still can't get under center, he can't scramble, he can't take the hits he once could. Physically, he just isn't the same guy he once was. And not to bust your balls, but the Yogi Berra quote is, "baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical"

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    He just requires everything to be perfect now -- wide open receiver, clean pocket -- and even then, he's still deathly afraid to pull the trigger over the deep middle. He's seeing ghosts.

He can still make some throws, like older golfers can still make some birdies, but not enough to string together a playoff run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Knox.

Always a pleasure my friend.

You are exactly right on the quote. Fixed it. "Thank you". You get the point I was trying to make though. Yes, Ben is becoming geriatric in some ways. It is the law of nature. I just think he still has enough left in the tank for one more ride. The injuries on the Defense are another facet that are hurting us. If we had Alualu, Tuitt and Heyward I really think this would help things alot. Also, we really need another Cornerback on the other aside. Big mistake letting Nelson go. Big mistake.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey shaner82.

Maybe nostalgia but realistically he is our best option right now. I just feel that someway, some how, he is going to put it together once he gets comfortable with this totally brand new Offensive Line.

18. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I don't believe any of his issues are mental based on the list you presented. Which of those on your list Ben didn't know about before the season started or when he decided he was coming back? He was fully aware of what he was facing and at his age and experience I doubt he is being mentally impacted by what he already was aware of. What i would believe is that he mentally believed he could perform at a level beyond his physical capabilities. Or, put another way, his mind could write checks that his body can't cash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I think it's 100% mental with Ben. He won't even throw over the middle. I don't think it's injuries, he's played with those his whole career.

20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Steeel Hog.

Great to hear from you.

Well, the key point is in your quote: "....Which of those on your list Ben didn't know about before the season started...." The key word is "before". Yes, he knew about everything that I wrote about BUT that was on paper. Once the whistle blew and the season started, reality hit. That which was on paper now was put into motion and he got a taste of again reality.

As you know SH, it is one thing to formulate a plan and another to see how it unfolds once activated. I truly believe that he is uncomfortable and insecure with the 5-Man Wall that is supposed to be protecting him. It happens all the time when pieces are replaced; especially in team sports like Football which many deem as the "ultimate" team sport.

SH,

The following below was from Ray Fittipaldo's Steelers chat transcript: 10.19.21 from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. It would seem that I am not the only one feeling that some of Ben's "problems" may at least be in part psychological. I underlined the key parts that reference possible "psychological" issues related to Ben's confidence in the Offensive Line. Take it all for what its worth (smile).

Rocco: Hi Ray, I appreciate your chats. Do you think there are any mental reasons why Ben won't throw downfield? On a few occasions this past Sunday, it did look like he can put some zip on the ball. It also looked like he chose to take the short pass when there were open receivers downfield.

Ray Fittipaldo: When they are in close games I think he is cognizant of the turnovers that might take place if he throws the ball down the field. That and maybe he's not completely comfortable with his protection.

Utah Jim: I don’t see a QB who lost his arm strength. I see a QB getting rid of the ball way too fast because he doesn’t trust the protection. It’s causing problems with his accuracy and decision making. Same as last year but worse. Will it get better?

Ray Fittipaldo: The protection or Ben's trust in his line? They probably go hand-in-hand.

Hey, just a theory Steel Hog. Again he knows our Wide Receivers but at this "party", the OL is five new guests that he has never interacted with before as well as an Offensive Coordinator that he never worked with before in an OC capacity.

Take care SH.

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  21. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey SDOT.

I think that he is close to past the point of knowing the capabilities of his elbow for the most part even though I listed it as a possible issue. I think after this much time and another off-season past he knows what his arm can do for the most part. I really think the bigger issues are his trust and confidence in the 5-Man Wall that protects him and him getting familiar with Coach Canada as a Offensive Coordinator.

Take care.

22. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Jujubean.

Right now our Offensive Line is below medicore and that is putting it nicely. Will they get better? They better and soon if this is to be Ben's Swan Song. Remember when folks were saying in the Pre-Season that Colbert is going all-in with the signings of Trai Turner, Joe Shobert and Melvin Ingram? Not one has paid any dividends yet IMO. They all came advertised as game-changers, top-tier pick-ups. I am very disappointed, as well as ticked-off, with all three up to this point regarding their lackluster performances.

Yes, Tuitt is a big disappointment as well. Constantly hurt. Great player when on the field but unreliable from a health standpoint. When Tuitt, Heyward and Alualu are together they are a force. Well, Alualu is gone for the year and who knows when Tuitt comes back and what type of impact he is going to make. Our back-ups to them are again below par. Very disappointing.

We also should have never let Steve Nelson go. The Tomlin regime's record of home-growing Secondary Personnel is horrific and who we have across from Haden continues the stretch of lousy Secondary Personnel drafted in the Tomlin regime. Now, I am not blaming Tomlin for all of this. However, the Secondary is his coaching specialty and we have gone through about twenty draft choices with him as head Coach in this facet of the team with not one success to show for it except maybe for Keenan Lewis. That is mind-blowing. How can we miss on that many draft choices? They cannot all be that bad. Part of the blame has to be placed on POOR player development. Disgusting as I say around here.

Take care.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    When a QB can no longer protect himself, his career is done. You be the judge.

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    One way or another, it will be done for him?

25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Somebody tell that jackass down in Tampa this. Although beginning to think he's an alien.