1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers nailed the draft this year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Oct 20, 2021.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if we had a smarter DC and better ILB coach he wouldn't bring spillane in for him. :cool:

2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    You're the one moving the goal posts, everyone can see it. The only thing left is to see how deep you can dig this hole and how snarky you can get while doing it.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No, it’s because he is a check down option, he doesn’t run WR routes, I don’t believe he has ever lined up out wide, something Bell used to do and Harris has done. There is a difference between being a check down and an RB that subs as a WR. It’s why Bell wanted to reset the market, he was trying to create a new position.

The reason Conner has so few receptions in Arizona is because Murray will just run if there is nothing there after his reads.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I think the answer is 3 fold.
    1. Cowher
    2. LeBeau
    3. Not as many running a 3-4 at that time ,so we got a lot of unwanted tweeners.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We did line him up at Wr....it just never worked very well. Remember the dropped TDs last year

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I wanted a CB 1st round, but the only way I can say Harris was a bad pick is if He isn't any good. Which would be a fib.
    I can't say he's a bad pick just because I wanted something different.
    Like Edmunds...He's a bad pick ...not because of... We could have had a different position, but because He's not good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He could be dropping TD’s and not be lined up as a WR. I’d have to look up advanced stats to see how much or little he lined up there. The point it, he isn’t that type of RB. Ben threw to him as a check down, primarily.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t know where this idea that you can get running backs anywhere and get the same production as you’ll get from high pedigree guys came from. The hit rate on running backs after rounds 2-3 is minuscule. It’s great for the drafting team when you find one late in the draft but it’s rare apart from one freak draft in 2017 when Aaron Jones, Carson, Mack and Ekeler all went late.

Yes guys like D’Ernest Johnson can get 140 yards now and again when teams don’t know his tendencies but does anyone believe he can maintain that over a season? I certainly don’t. I seem to remember Jaylen Samuels doing something similar against the Pats in his rookie year and we all thought the Steelers had found a gem, LOL

There are several backs like Henry, Kamara, Mcaffery and Cook that are worth first round picks. A high end three down back that can contribute in the passing game by catching the ball and picking up blitzes is definitely worth considering late in the first round as long as you are not trying to build your entire offence around them. The Steelers have some good receivers and what looks like a good young TE now, if they can find a QB and get the line to NFL average this can be an effective and balanced offence quite quickly.

9. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Only one of those guys is a first round pick. His team has a losing record and one wildcard loss to show for it in 4+ seasons.

10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I know that but if teams were going to to the draft today with relative certainty on those guys they would all go in the first round regardless of conventional team building philosophy.

It remains to be seen if Najee can match that production over time, I think he can if the team can give him a better platform

Correlation vs causation in the case of Mcaffery and the relative lack of success. TJ Watt, Marlon Humphrey, TreDavious White and Ryan Ramczyk all went in that same round when they picked him. All of those guys play premium positions and are All Pro level players. If the Panthers had picked one of them would they have been significantly more successful since? I very much doubt it to be honest, the overall roster just hasn’t been strong enough to compete at any level.

No one player is going to make a bad roster good, not even Tom Brady as we saw in his last year with the Pats.

The Panthers could have picked Mahomes of course but Newton was just two years removed from a POTY season and it didn’t look like a need whatsoever at the time

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Whatever, Pee-Wee. You do something, then accuse the other poster of doing it rather than own up to the fact that all of your arguments are failing. I've shifted to different aspects of the discussion to shut down your poor arguments.

You claimed that teams don't draft running backs high anymore. I proved that false, showing that many of the league's top running attacks feature a running back who was taken either in the first round or early in the second. You lose that one.

I pointed out that the Steelers could have gotten the anchor on the offensive line that they needed in the second round by taking Humphrey, so you moved the goalposts again, insisting that they should have taken Newsome. The problem with that argument on your part, aside from the fact that it is another example of goalpost moving, is that Harris was the higher-rated player. If anything, Newsome would have been the reach.

You also keep insisting that anybody who spends a high draft pick on a running back is behind the times. Of course, I proved that wrong with a look at the top rushing teams in the league. The truth is that some teams have moved away from taking running backs high, but not all. That trend creates an opportunity for value at the position. Identifying opportunities for value by bucking trends is a big part of building a successful sports franchise. I'm sorry that concept is too difficult for you.

To sum up, not every team is against taking running backs high. Teams can have success drafting running backs high. That there are teams that have gotten away from that approach creates an opportunity for the remaining teams that are more open-minded in what positions they will draft early. Also, the Steelers could have taken Harris and gotten the line help they needed, but they decided that they liked Freiermuth too much or they liked Green as much or more than Humphrey in the long run. These arguments are consistent with one another. Again, I'm sorry that is too complex for you.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    But...but....picking Elliott so high and having him be great since then is why the Cowboys don't win championships! (Or some such nonsense.)

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You think Snell could be a feature back behind a stud offensive line?

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He needs to show more in the second half of the season if he wants to come back.

15. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    On a side note the Steelers 2022 first round pick played an excellent game against Clemson today…Can you Pickett sucka!?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He is starting to annoy me. The guy keeps improving his draft stock. A few weeks ago, I was hoping they could get him in the second round. I'm not sure that is realistic now. Coming through like that against Clemson, even a diminished version of Clemson, has to impress a few teams.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well he better not come 2 the Steelers. We don't have anyone 2 make some of the catches that his Wrs did today. LoL.

18. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Wait, what? When did I say that?

Wrong - I said they should have taken someone at a more important position.

I argued against the picking of RBs in the first round, you changed the argument to "drafting them high". You're really flailing here.

I'm starting to realize why you're a former writer. You were probably sacked for lying and misrepresenting facts.

19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I have no idea but since we passed on Marino I hope we get Pickett and he does what we hoped Marino would have done. Little ironic.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Nice backpedal. Maybe you can play corner for the Steelers.

You didn't claim they should have taken Newsome? Now you are resorting to blatant lies.

Yes, I included guys early in the second round. I framed the argument in a way that is more relevant than the arbitrary line you want to use. You hate the pick at 24, but nine spots later you would have been fine with it? Your desperate need to justify your criticism of the selection of Harris is pushing you into some very ridiculous positions.

Harris was a higher-rated player than any offensive lineman or cornerback available when they picked. First you claimed they reached for him, which was ridiculous. Now you wanted them to reach for a player at another position. You really do have a talent for contradicting yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

his playing time has decreased for some reason the last two games. he's still second in tackles (36) and has 4 passes defended. his last two games he's gone down to 82% plays and 77% plays. :cool:

22. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Thanks for admitting you lied while claiming it was me all along. You not only "framed the argument" to change it, you invented mine.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Fake news from:

Maddog78

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Is see Timex is still ticking

25. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    You've got the wrong end of the stick again, old boy. You're almost there, though - don't get discouraged, you'll get it sooner or later.