1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Najee Harris!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel the Win on Sunday, Oct 18, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If they drafted OL in the first round they would've ended up with like the tenth best OL player, getting the #1 RB instead was better value IMO.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Just making an observation of Tomlin and Colbert's M.O.

3. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The Browns just ran for 180 yards with a no-name 3rd string RB and Case Keenum QB'ing because they have a big boy OL, a top notch OL coach, and a top notch play-caller.

The Steelers threw together a slap-dash OL, promoted rookie OL coach and OC into their first jobs, and drafted a RB.

Let that sink in. Organizational malpractice.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I know you are desperate to sell this narrative, but Harris was the right call. The Steelers correctly identified this year as a draft that was very deep in offensive linemen, so they knew they would have opportunities to get help up front later while no back in the draft could match the value of Harris. The problem was that they waited too long, passing on Humphrey in the second round. I know there is talk that they liked Green better. If that is true, the Freiermuth pick makes more sense, but I question their scouting of the linemen in this draft. Humphrey is clearly much better than Green right now and I think he will still be better in the long term as well.

5. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    No desperation at all, your "counter-arguments" in the other thread, in point of fact, did nothing but support my argument. RBs are fungible assets. You and and a few other Steeler homers appear to be the only people not to understand this.

Drafting a RB in the first round with so many other holes is as bad as trading multiple picks to move up for an off-ball LB.

In both cases, the Steelers reached hard for need at position that are far down the totem pole of importance in today's NFL.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Once again, you are attacking the poster because you can't win the argument with facts or well-supported opinions.

You have been well countered by multiple posters, but you refuse to acknowledge those points. You have run from my primary point, choosing instead to try to dismiss me as a homer, which is comical given my history of ripping the team for previous moves such as drafting Edmunds.

Harris was a first-round talent. The only people who disagreed with that are the ones who won't ever put a running back there. In other words, people who stubbornly cling to a theory rather than evaluating the available talent. That you think Harris was a reach just shows you don't know what you are talking about.

Based on the arguments you have presented, taking an offensive lineman would have been the reach, taking the position of need rather than the better player. Thank you for providing so much evidence to help me with that.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    LOL, somebody's telling on himself again. I refuse to acknowledge those points because I roundly disagree with them. Drafting a 1st round RB with holes at so many more important positions, a year before the roster loses even more talent, was a bad franchise building move, and I can't help if you want to swim upstream against that almost unanimous opinion in NFL circles.

"Stubbornly clinging to a theory" sounds like exactly what the Franchise RB crowd is doing.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Great, now you are doing the Pee-Wee thing rather than trying to carry on a reasonable discussion.

You claim that the Steelers messed up by reaching for need, yet your argument is that they should have drafted for need. I can't help it if you are so completely outclassed that you are defeating your own arguments.

You still have no argument for my point that the mistake wasn't drafting Harris. It was passing on Humphrey in the second round. The Steelers made the right call taking the better player in the first round. They were correct in seeing that the depth of this draft would allow them to address the offensive line after the first round. They just waited too long. Take Humphrey in the second round and they would have added the short and long-term building block on the line as well as adding the running back they needed. Of course, acknowledging such a point would cut into your love of hyperbolic, clickbait-style posting.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Funny Art II was the team President for our last three Super Bowls

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Of course I do, not sure how many times I have to repeat it. Draft a more important position in the first round, like CB. They also goofed by not drafting Humphrey.

11. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    While Dan was still alive don't think he didn't have input.

12. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I disagree with the notion there's some kinda organizational malfunction. But I will agree that you win games up front. I won't disagree with anyone that says the line stinks, but the line is also hella young. I think they'll continue to get better as time goes. Say you bring in a quality FA at either RG or RT then draft a RG or RT in the first by 23 we should have a above average line to very good line just in time to bring in a rookie QB. By then Najee will be an established RB (we hope) with some veterans behind the rookie QB to ensure he's not over his head.

I also have serious doubts that Canada is the problem. Every time we run the things he wants to run is when this offense is the most successful, see the Denver game. It's when Ben goes shotgun the bulk of the time is when the offense stutters. The team has a bulk of problems; Ben isn't entirely the problem. I'm just ready to move on.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    And the Browns got their LT by sucking forever and having a top 10 pick, apples to oranges, the Browns QB is on a rookie contract and they can sign a FA like Conklin.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The boss Rooney said fix the running game, I think all the top CBs were gone by pick #24, how is Kansas City running game doing with Humphrey?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Don't draft a RB in the first round is analytics nerd nonsense, I probably wouldn't draft one in the top 10, but late in the first round it's the right move with all the top OL already drafted.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    So you counter me by agreeing with me? You aren't very good at this.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They are ninth in the league in rushing right now. Of course, their leading rusher is a back they drafted in the first round last year. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is Offensive MVP on team as of today. Only player on team earning his pay check.

19. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    The Steelers spent plenty in free agency, unfortunately too much was spent for guys who will be gone next year. They weren't trying to build a team for the long haul, they thought they could buy a title in 2021. Next year Najee will have a much lesser supporting cast.

20. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    You're being disingenuous now. They should have drafted a corner in the first AND Humphrey in the 2nd.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is your dubious opinion. You were pushing the idea that they should have built the line first, then gone for the running back. No you have shifted the argument to claim they should have taken a corner in the first round because your initial argument didn't work. Running back was also a need. Harris was clearly a first-round value. They could have filled that need and added the building block they needed up front by taking Humphrey in the second.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...-ranking-big-board/1k5tiozjs62rl1k1weni83rroi

Here is just one pre-draft ranking that has Harris well ahead of Newsome. They had Harris as the 14th prospect overall with Newsome at 33rd, outside the first round.

Here is another, though this one has them a lot closer.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-150-prospects-in-the-2021-nfl-draft-class

It seems even when you move the goalposts, you can't plant them well enough to make your argument hold up.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    So now you *do* care what is said in NFL circles? You're adorable.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’d also point out that the Steelers never met with Newsome, he was never in play as a first rd pick. Perhaps because of his injury history, which is playing out right now in Cleveland.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I never said I didn’t. I said there can be value in going against trends. I’m sorry I haven’t been able to educate you better. My training is on the secondary level. Maybe I will consult with an elementary school teacher.

To be clear, I’m just proving you wrong in multiple ways. You claim the Steelers reached for Harris and should have taken Newsome even though Harris was rated higher than Newsome. It is just another of your failed arguments.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2