1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin could be interested in LSU

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Animus, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 14
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    No chance of this happening. If Tomlin was going to coach in college it would be at Virginia Tech or Maryland. Just ask @SDOT . :lolol:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe Jim Harbaugh left the 49ers for Michigan. College coaching are great gigs. Tomlin would be a recruiting machine, I could see him being very successful at that level.

Bens gone, Colbert on a year to year, I could see a regime change once Ben leaves. But it will take Tomlin walking away, he’s been here forever though, not sure how long he’ll want to keep doing the same thing.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, I’ve said for a long time that Tomlin is a perfect college coaching candidate. What an amazing recruiter he’d be with the way that he relates to young players. In college there’s no salary cap; no equal opportunity for teams to build rosters. At a place like LSU he’d be able to build a strong enough roster to overcome any issues with X’s and O’s And game management.

That said, I don’t see it happening, and if he does go to the college ranks I’m not sure what would pull him in the direction of LSU.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That would be very interesting for me. Son and Daughter-in-law huge LSU fans. Tomlin going there would provide hours of talk for us.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Think you were the first person to float the idea of Tomlin going to coach college when he finishes with NFL, I agree, would be a perfect fit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    How is college working out at Arizona State for the ex NFL coach?

9. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    The Harbaugh comparison doesn't work for me.

a) Harbaugh was previously a very successful college HC, so he knew what it all entailed and what he liked and didn't like about college vs pro.
    b) Harbaugh's college coaching was at a Power 5 conference school
    b) His alma mater came calling.

None of those apply to Tomlin.

Tomlin hasn't coached at the college level since he was DB coach at Arkansas St in 1998. He's a pro guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Completely agree with yinz here. Mike Tomlin would be an exceptional college coach. I have always thought of Mike Tomlin as a great leader of men. That will go a lot further with college aged kids than it does with young adult millionaires.

Tomlin would instantly become one of the best recruiting coaches in the NCAA. A lot of the deficiencies that Tomlin has as a coach will be less of a factor in the college game.

I really dont see this happening at all. Tomlin seems more than comfortable as the Steelers coach. Even if he would consider coaching in college, why LSU? I was joking around when I said Tomlin should coach Virginia Tech or Maryland. But honestly either would make more sense than LSU.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree with this as well. I think Tomlin would be a great college coach. I just dont think he has any interest in that at all.

Honestly, I think it is far more likely that Tomlin goes into broadcasting when he is done coaching. Look at the career Cowher has built for himself. Very few people are as well spoken as Tomlin is. He could work anywhere he wanted.

12. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Ben and several other key players leaving after the season, what looks to be an average QB class in 2022, Colbert not long for the Steelers...I don't know, seems like the perfect time to pull the ripcord and start fresh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah it happens, but very, very rarely. It takes a perfect storm for a successful coach to leave the NFL for the NCAA. Most of the time when they do it, it's because they have few, if any other NFL opportunities.

While I personally don't like Tomlin, I do think he's highly regarded around the league.

I don't see any chance in hell of him going to the NCAA

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If he stays in Pittsburgh, sure but how long can you eat the same cereal, people like to go on to do new things. Where else in the NFL can he go that he will find the same security that he has had in Pittsburgh? He could find that easy in college. I personally think college coaching gigs are much sweeter than the NFL.

15. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Bingo. I don't care how many GMs might want him, if he goes to a bad team and doesn't turn them around in a couple years, he won't automatically get the first of ten contract extensions.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I’d go work at a college if my kids got free tuition.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Difference is Like I said earlier this Year. LSU will fire a coach /get rid of Him if they lose 3 games more than twice. Harbaugh would be long gone if He coached in LSU. Look at how many Coaches they have gotten rid of ....even after they won a National Championship.
    Yes Harbaugh would be long gone years ago.
    Tomlin would be smarter 2 go 2 a school like Michigan , or others where they don't expect National Championships.

19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Just wondering if coaching college Ball is an easier gig then coaching pro ball?? I remember Dick Vermil use to stay all night looking at film when he was Eagles HC. I would think the players are more respectful in college and don't give the BS pro HC's have to put up with.

I always wondered how Joe Paterno would have fared in the NFL. I'm not a Penn State fan but had respect for his accomplishments. (that terrible incident aside)

• Like Like x 1
  20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Don't threaten me with a good time...

The sign the LSU players would slap going out to the field would read " The Standard is the Standard"

Like said Ben is going to sail off, Colbert has one foot out the door and Tomlin rumors is he doesn't want to start over with a rookie QB.

So common LSU make the move and hire that Popcorn...

21. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Tomlin's children are being educated and growing up in Pittsburgh. I'm sure the family has set down deep roots here. Money and security are certainly factors in any career, and Tomlin has both with the Steelers. No one here knows for sure what he's thinking however, I think one of the reasons he got the Steeler job to begin with is that he is a traditionalist. Whether that factor is still serving the organization well is a debate for another thread. That aside, although I agree with others that feel Tomlin would make a wonderful college coach at a big time school, I believe this is his last mountain to climb as a head coach. I think when he's done as the Steelers coach, he's done coaching and goes the Cowher route.

And, let me just say this while I'm thinking about it. There's a lot of vitriol and and shade thrown at Tomlin over his leadership of the team. Some of it I agree with, much of it is suspect. One thing is beyond reproach. Mike Tomlin is a good person. No matter how one feels about his decisions as a coach, he's a good guy. Same as Cowher, same as Noll. The Rooney's know how to find people that have integrity to lead this team. We should be proud of them for that. I don't think we'll see them ever end up with the next Tom Cable or Bobby Petrino. At least I hope not.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    PLEASE let this be true! MAYBE, Tomlin is worrying about his legacy! He's gotta know he's in a rebuild, ( Ben, who carried him for so long is done ) ...

All those " non- losing " seasons...couple Super Bowls...Has him as cemented an all time great Coach ( not my opinion ) but among the stupid media he is...

Get out now, Go to an elite program which imo , is much easier to maintain eliteness, his "niceness" and ability to be a " players Coach" is probably Popcorns biggest strength...Todays Athletes, especially College, like a "nice, pat on the back, it's ok that you f***** up royal, you did the best you could" Coach...

So go to, and have good teams / good records at College combined with an already good NFL resume > An NFL resume that WAS good, and got worse and worse the longer he stayed!

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Very different level of charisma and ability to relate to college aged players.

24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    harbaugh got fired

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    This thread is almost as stupid as sdolt’s redskins trading for tomlin

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1