1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Najee Harris!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel the Win on Sunday, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Thanks in large part to injuries devastating the defense. You keep misrepresenting the events so far this season. The offense was going to take time. The plan was for the defense to carry the team early, which became a problem when six starters went down, including Watt.

It is possible to fix an offensive line in a season or two with the draft and free agency. That is what the Steelers are going to have to do.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed. RB was among our needs, he was the best available. An offensive line without a RB is going to have a poor ground game, too.

People to hung up on the order of how they went about addressing things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If they haven't upgraded the line and put together a decent offense two or three years from now, then maybe they would have a point because running backs don't last long. The argument they are making seems to assume the Steelers are going to take a decade to rebuild the offense.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Workhorse RBs have short careers, unless they sign a Rodgers or Wilson next year (which I hope to God they do), he'll likely be near the end of his useful career by the time the Steelers are ready to compete again. First round running back should be the finishing touch to a complete team, not a building block for a rebuild.

Finally, counting on a D with a questionable secondary and aging DL wasn't a smart bet. Hoping for 100% health is folly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There is a tremendous amount of ground between 100 percent health and losing six starters. it is misleading to suggest that anyone bringing up injuries was expecting the entire unit to stay healthy. They looked damn good with just Tuitt out of the lineup in the opener. That wasn't 100 percent health.

You are approaching this as if the Steelers are considering any of these to be rebuilding years. That is not their philosophy. Why don't you get that?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    I get it, it's just stupid and unrealistic and next year, costly when they eat $25M of dead cap space for a "last run" that was DOA.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is the philosophy that has made them one of the most successful franchises in the NFL for decades, but you think they should abandon it. Got it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    With all due respect Blast would you do that deal if it brings another Lombardi? I would. This might be the bridge to a 7th. He still has a lot in the tank. There will be other suiters. Tomlin supposedly doesn't want to start over with a rookie but rather sign a vet. And we all know he is not going anywhere.

The main thing is he can move. And run, not looking like someone hobbling. He is a bas @ss.

I do understand the issue giving up two first rounders though but I feel he would bring life back into this offense.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    OK....Enough with this A. Rodgers crap...Geez....If He is so freaking great....Why has He not been 2 a SB since Ben has??? Enough Madden stuff.
    Green Bay is not ...I repeat...Not a Crap franchise. Plus Here He would actually play in a Division where more than one team is good more Years than not. Unlike the Division He comes from.
    This division has a lot more playoff appearances in the last 20 years than the one He comes from....it's not close.
    Watch real football, and Don't think it's Madden

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  10. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Did you think Ben had another run in him? Good franchises can make bad moves, we've seen quite a few from this team lately.

And Art II is no Dan Rooney.

• Like Like x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    News flash genius: the OL was never going to be fixed in one offseason, #1 RB>10th ranked OL in the first round.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I thought they should have moved on from Roethlisberger. I'm not saying that keeping him was a good move. I am saying that it is ridiculous to expect them to give up on the overall philosophy that has brought the franchise so much success. They don't write off seasons and rebuild. You are a Steelers fan. You should understand that, but you don't seem to get it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. woofermazing

woofermazing Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2017
    The smart move might have been to trade down and snag an extra pick, and for all we know they tried and no one was willing to dance. It was painfully obvious going into the draft that we needed bodies everywhere.

Going into next year, we traded away our 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks, not good for rebuilding.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Just looked it up - turns out OL and RB aren't the only two positions in football.

15. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    They've gone into seasons with Bubby Brister, Jim Miller, and Kent Graham as starting QB before, surely they could have given Mason a look. When Terry was done they went with Cliff Stoudt.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Those are the only two positions they were going to draft in the first round, after Rooney told them to fix the running game, give me a name of a OL they should've drafted at #24 instead of Najee?

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They are expected to get a 3rd comp pick, and they will have some money to spend in free agency, the Steelers don't rebuild they need reload.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Again, it was a misguided philosophy. You can find backs throughout the draft. They are in deep trouble at the more important positions of CB, DL, WR, and possibly still OL in 2022.

How many years will it take to rebuild the roster while Najee is wearing tread off his tires?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Why would we want another player his team doesn't want?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    How do you know what would have happened if we drafted an OL first? Just wondering as I need some help in my pick em picks and I could see who you're picking to get them all correct. JK

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    <1, hopefully.

22. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    You're right about that, on an individual basis. However, thinking overall offense, I didn't think a RB would protect, give more time to throw, and keep healthy our aging QB as much as an improved OL, especially after end of LY and current depleted one. I for one was for OL first but won't complain about who we ended up picking since it doesn't matter what I think. Only time will tell if the way we are going about this was the right way. If Ben and Harris both end up on IR, or, if both make it through the season and we go to the playoffs, then we'll know. Looks like the plan may be working based on the incremental improvement of the O. so who knows.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t see us making a serious run at Rodgers, but I can’t imagine how anyone can’t see the talent. He’s still an exceptional QB.

• Like Like x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Never said He wasn't talented. Not once My friend.
    I said He has pretty Much played in a Division where His team was always the Best.
    3 times this Division has sent 3 teams 2 the playoffs in last 10 years.
    The Division He's in is lucky 2 have more than 1 team with a winning season.
    Since 2000 this Division has represented the SB 5 times with 4 wins.
    His 2 times with 1 Win.
    Why taking A. Rodgers from a Great Team in a Weak division, and Moving Him 2 Our Team in a Strong Division will Automatically bring SBs is what I'm Not Understanding.
    With what He will require between Draft pics ,and Money.....anything less then a SB win would Be a Complete, and total failure.
    With How far back that would put this Team for the Future.
    That's what I'm saying.

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They didn't want another James Conner type RB, that's why they took the #1 RB in the first round, you mentioned Trey Sermon before that he could've been an option for them he's not doing much for the 49ers.

• Like Like x 1