1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Edmunds and Bush

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Nice win last night against a seasoned QB and the always tough Seahawks Legion of Boom.

I would like to discuss the play of 2 players: Devin Bush and Terrell Edmunds. Both first round picks. Bush was the 10th overall pick and we gave up 3 picks to trade up to select him.

Edmunds has zero ball tracking / ball awareness ability for a safety. In 4 seasons he only has 4 INTs...that is super low for a free safety. On the Alex Collins rushing TD he was in perfect position to make a goal line stop but he literally stood with his hands on his knees instead of trying to make a tackle on a diving Collins. The effort level was akin to Cam Newton refusing to fall on his fumble in the Super Bowl.

Bush was hurt sure, but on the field, he looks slow, short and quite a bad tackler. When he does pick the proper hole he doesn't explode into the hit. Instead he runs into the defender and tries to hug them to the ground. This is the 10th overall pick again --- supposed to be a game changer at ILB. And he can't tackle. I'd rather start Spillane who is a thumper, rather than a hugger.

Last night we saw Norwood emerge -- no reason we can't explore replacing Edmunds who is surely out of Pittsburgh after this season and the vastly overrated Devin Bush.

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    You were missed Benny:) I see both sides to the Bush argument. Not a superstar for sure but D seems to click better when he is not frigging hurt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Oh look Maddogs understudy showed up to remind us that despite the win we still suck.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    our defense can't tackle as a whole. but yes bush is bad and not worth near the capital we spent on him. edmunds is a strong safety by the way. minkah can't tackle very well either. norwood balled out. killebrew sits on the bench. :cool:

5. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Minkah is a suspect tackler yes, but at least he makes plays often enough with FFs and INTs to justify a whiff now and then.

If Edmunds is SS he should excel at stopping the run, a la Troy. He's not a very good run stuffer either.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    minkah whiffs a good bit. i wish they both would tackle better for being safeties. edmunds did have a pick last week. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    There's a reason the team didn't pick up Edmunds' 5th yr..... As for bush, I really believe he is unsure of himself because of his injury... He's not playing instinctively.. that probably won't come until next season. He needs time...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    At least we talk X's and O's, you do nothing but cheerlead like a dopey golden retriever.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Tackling all around was terrible last night, everyone outside of Watt and Heyward, tackling wasn't sufficient

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    FWIW, golden retrievers are one of the most popular dogs, year after year. (And I cheer for the breed, not the dog.)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m a fan. I’m supposed to cheerlead.

12. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Are you supposed to appoint yourself commissioner of the Fan Police, too? Let people deal however they like to deal.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Can we win a ****ing game and come to a message board and celebrate with other Steelers fans? Or do we have to deal with a few negative people that won’t let anybody else have any enjoyment?

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    who else lol'd when Bush started running the wrong way with the ball?? be honest.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think you are right on both counts. Bush may still come around. Edmunds is what he is, a bust who had no business being taken in the first round. He was absolutely terrible last night.

Most of the defense tackled poorly. Bush was no exception, but he often ran himself out of plays, creating huge running lanes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Hard to take you seriously when you don't have the positions correct. Edmunds is the Strong safety not the free safety.

17. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Some people have a life filled with negativity. It's never WHO played well. God, you're so annoying. How do I block?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Who's stopping anyone from celebrating? Nobody has to deal with anything they don't agree with or care about - just ignore it.

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No thanks

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep. That said, there is another growing problem and possible issue for Bush to overcome all together; availability. He has yet to play a full season because of it; halting his development all together. Until he can showcase he can, he is going to continually be behind the proverbial eight ball in development.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

What is odd about Minkah is that, heading into this season, he was one of the teams best defenders at tackling. How he fell off is intriguing to say the least. Here is hoping that this problem does rectify itself heading into the second half of the season.

22. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I was genuinely concerned for a second no joke. Screamed at my tv, “where are you going?” Lol

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I screamed at the TV "TURN AROUND" LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I did also. I was like wrong way...LoL. I even said on the game day thread . LoL .

• Like Like x 1
  25. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    always makes me feel better to know I’m not the only one actually talking to the tv during Steelers games lol

• Like Like x 2