1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Edmunds

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Kolbassi, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Kolbassi

Kolbassi Well-Known Member

May 1, 2017
    this bum should never see the field

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok, we looked

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Feel better?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'll be that guy... Who on this current roster do you put on the field to start?

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Umm...

Dare I say this but, Terrell Edmunds has had the best performance of any DB this season; last night's game included. Sure, he is likely not becoming a player will good ball skills and never mind a ball hawk. However, he has been the most consistent player in the back end and has played far better than even Minkah up to this point......

...... a sentence that even I myself would never have thought possible. Yet here we are. Should he rebound from Seattle and continue to maintain his consistency throughout the season, he will be due in for a good payday.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    I would still trade him for his brother on the Bills haha.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Your flip-flopping on Edmunds has been interesting to watch. You went from posts like this one, propping up a bust, to finally admitting that he was a terrible pick, and now back to this undeserved praise for a below-average safety.

Edmunds was terrible Sunday night. Before that, he had been consistently mediocre, making no big plays, covering the pass poorly, including getting caught out of position multiple times. The new tactic seems to be this misleading idea that Edmunds is somehow better because Fitzpatrick has not played well. Just because another player isn't doing the job doesn't mean Edmunds has improved.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He will finish his contract out and sail off to somewhere. A big payday? Sorry Ask I must disagree. He has not shown me any real improvement this season as he knows he will be a UFA after this year. A lot of players play way above the line knowing a nice payday is on the way. I believe we have seen the best of Edmonds.

The cap will go up and they will have money to spend on a top flight SS I feel to pair with Fitzpatrick.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Edmunds, Haden, and Minkah are all having down years, but the sad thing is the cupboard is rather bare behind them. Father time caught up with Haden, but I think I'd rather see what a new DC can get out of the safeties.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They have one in house. But Tomlin would never let Butler go unfortunately.

11. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I really don’t understand how people can watch the games and think Edmunds is even an average player. The guy clearly isn’t any good and by this point in his career is a finished product. Bush I’m a little more hopeful on because some of the regression might be injury related and just take some more time.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Austin?

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Early last season, even some of his most steadfast defenders were finally starting to see reason. AQL even seemed resigned to Edmunds being a bust. Then an overmatched rookie quarterback threw two of his four interceptions in the direction of Edmunds in Jacksonville. Combine that with the huge sack against the Broncos, about as easy a play as you will ever see in the NFL because they blew the blocking assignment and left him untouched, and suddenly they saw a way out. They didn't have to admit they were wrong to defend Edmunds. He was coming around! Except he wasn't. He isn't. He's a bust, and Sunday night's stinker of a performance was just the latest example.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    He sucked Sunday but I don't think his overall performance this season has been terrible. He simply lacks any ability to make a splash play but generally (not Sunday) he is a solid tackler and is not terrible in coverage.

15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Yep.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I can't blame the player how he plays in a game when the coaches keep putting him on the field year after year. If there are no others on the sideline to play in his stead, then the coaches feel they don't need to find a replacement or there isn't anyone better with the same helmet on. Otherwise, why is he still playing? Sure he is a bust 1st rounder IMO, but my opinion means zilch so he is what the coaches think he is until he's not. It doesn't even sound like the opinions are aligned in this thread. We won our last game so I'm past this and thinking about destroying the Stains at their own sewer hole of a stadium.

17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Strong Safety is another position of need in the offseason.... along with QB, WR, NT and CB. Some of these can be had through Free Agency.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It isn't just the times he is beaten, though those happen often enough. It is the times he is out of position because he makes poor reads. The short touchdown pass by Rodgers to Cobb in the third quarter three weeks was an example. Rodgers rolled right and Watt had to defend the threat of him running, so he was unable to cover Cobb slipping into the flat. At the same time, instead of seeing that and picking up Cobb, Edmunds dropped to the back of the end zone and ended up in a double-team with one of the corners. The receiver who is farther from the quarterback is doubled, but Cobb is left all alone due to a poor read by Edmunds.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    One thing I do like about Edmunds is that he doesn't celebrate, tackles 17 yards down field like Mike Mitchell used to do.

So he has that going for him.....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He doesn't seem like a bad guy and he's not a terrible player, but he's not a good one, either. Starting just about every game, playing at a mediocre level, and then moving on as a free agent after his rookie contract wouldn't have been a bad return on a third-round pick. Sadly, the Steelers took him in the first.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I'll defer to you on this as I can't bring myself to watch that carefully right now. Lol. I'm definitely leaning more towards the disappointment side with both Edmunds and Bush right now.

22. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Dude looks ripped to the gills and sucks lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    He hasn't been terrible. I can't tell if that's thanks to Minkah and why is play has fallen off a cliff.

What does he even get on the open market? I doubt anybody is willing to overpay for him. 4-5 mill per a year and we probably resign him. If nobody falls to us in the draft.

24. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Problem with this guy is he was a project to begin with. HE was converted to Strong safety as some grand scheme that tomlin has. Problem with this is that our coaching for DB's has been terrible at best for a while now. How many Db's have we drafted under tomlin? and how many have failed to be developed into quality players? And this is was supposed to be his specialty. Edmunds may not be the best but we also don't know if that is a product of his ability to play the position or the inability of our coaching staff to develop DB's. The best Db's we have had for the most part seem to be other players that came from elsewhere and already knew how to play in the NFL.

A lot of us are gonna feel dumb if he goes elsewhere and kills it with new coaching. Not saying thats guaranteed but it is a posibility.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Edmunds played multiple positions in college, including strong safety. He just wasn't great at any of them. He was a solid player with above-average athletic ability, but he didn't play like a first-rounder in college. He didn't make big plays, so it should be no surprise that he can't make them at the pro level. He has terrible instincts when the ball is in the air. I'm not sure if that can be fixed with coaching, either. Maybe better coaching could help eliminate some of the poor reads, but I think we're seeing the best he can do right now, which is a below-average starter.

• Agree Agree x 1