1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My observations from the Seahawks escape

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Oct 18, 2021.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    1. As the running game goes, so goes the offense
    2. Ben really is at the end
    3. Alex Highsmith stepping up was crucial and will be going forward
    4. Chase claypool needs to get his head out of his rectum
    5. Loudermillk needs more time on the field
    6. Isaiah buggs is decent at the nose, but we need an actual force at the position to make the defense work
    7. The coaches really need to work with the defenders on basic tackling fundamentals
    8. Thank God we have Boz
    9. Our adjustments need to come a lot quicker than they are
    10. These games are really making our draft strategy clear

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Some good, some bad. Hard to disagree. I said on draft weekend I really loved the kids we picked. There's a future for this team but this season looks to be very up and down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I agree Ben is at the end of stellar career but I'm not so sure he knows this. His yardage numbers remind me of Bradshaw's with way more attempts.

I still think Ben has a few big games left in the tank before he rides off into the HOF.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  4. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree with your first 9 lines. #10 not so much.

The Steelers draft strategy is far from clear. I am not sure there is a franchise QB to take in the 2022 draft. It is looking more and more likely that wide receiver will become a huge need. JuJu is likely gone. Claypool has be wildly inconsistent, even going back to last year. James Washington likely will not be back. We also need to continue to build the O line. The D line may need addressed. I cant imagine Edmunds comes back. So the Steelers are going to need a safety.

I actually think the Steelers draft strategy is becoming more and more murky as the season goes on.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Yes indeed, question thou on no,. 4, Claypool, what position was he playing last night, was it the slot where Ju Ju plays, because if it is he is not good at it. Also what happen to James Washington, after the 1st catch he disappeared.

On no.7 basic tackling is embarrassing at times.

On no.9 our adjustments need to come a lot quicker is for sure. Especially when the sideline announcer says she talked with Seattle's coach that said at halftime they needed to run more. Then Tomlin says at halftime he thought Seattle were going to pass more to Metcalf and Lockett. Thats why we came out in the second half in the nickle defense because we thought they were going to come out passing. Ok but after 8 straight big runs by Seattle it was obvious what Seattle was trying to do. Why so long to make the adjustments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

Think about the defensive front being pushed around in the running game and go back to point #6.... We have a great pass rush but we haven't been particularly stout against the run since Casey Hampton retired.... Think that our display against the run lately isn't making our draft strategy more clear????
    What about the o-line?.... I like Moore, but he didn't look very good against the Seahawks.. trai turner is on a 1 yr rental and chuks is soft as a run blocker... Think our upcoming draft strategy is still murky???.... You mentioned the wr picture, which is clearly a part of things as well....Tre Norwood has been a pleasant surprise, which gives us some leeway in the safety picture..... I'd say that our draft strategy has never been clearer

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    On #7, can you really change tackling technique in someone who has been playing the game since they were 12 years old? Those habits and styles are so ingrained (not wrapping up, going for the big hits rather than contain) it’ll take more than a week of practice to fix that, if ever.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i do think if davis gets healthy that nose position will again be good. between the two anyway.

loudermilk should play more.

we need a new defensive perspective other then olsavsky and butler.

too much worry about pass defense on the backend and not enough against the run.

bush is not good.

we have a lot of needs come draft time. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

I like Davis more as a rotational piece with Heyward and tuitt.,... If there isn't some clear development in the middle, then I say come draft time, my kingdom for Georgia's Jordan Davis

• Like Like x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    davis needs to get healthy. 5 weeks in and he hasn't played yet. we have to actually use 3 down linemen instead of nickel every down to even consider drafting one. i think davis could be a stud in a rotation with buggs. loudermilk can play inside as well. we just need to use these guys. i'd love a new DC that can be creative. we don't have that. :cool:

13. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

Maybe I'm being sentimental, but I can't get bush's rookie season promise out of my head.... Maybe I'm using his injury to make excuses for him and myself to keep the faith..
    Maybe I'm hoping that he finds his form and that buddy Johnson becomes his ideal running mate because, as you said, we have other concerns that are more important

14. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    It’s great that every single rookie on the team is making contributions - including Norwood and Loudermilk, but I think it’s also an indictment of the rest of the roster. In years past, when a starter went down there was usually a solid vet to step in for them. That isn’t the case this season. I don’t think there’s ever been a year where the Steelers have relied on rookies so heavily.

15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    We will have to agree to disagree here. We are getting pushed around in the run game because the defense is missing 2 of its 3 starting defensive lineman. Alualu and Tuitt are pretty hard guys to replace. If both of those guys are back next year drafting a stout NT becomes less of a priority.

As this season progresses, more and more areas of weakness are being exposed.

In the 2022 draft the Steelers need

Franchise QB
    Offensive Line depth/upgrades
    Defensive Line depth/upgrades
    Wide Receivers
    Secondary depth
    Saftey depth/starter

Looks pretty murky to me.

16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Steelers couldn't of just jumped out in the 2nd half to maybe let me hit the road at some point in the 4th quarter.

The difference of getting home at 1am and 2 am.

That extra hour of sleep would of been nice for at work today.

17. TheDFP

TheDFP New Member

Sep 12, 2021
    I'm curious about #4 with Chase Claypool. It tough watching on TV on how much he is open down the field vs Ben's ability to throw the ball down the field.

18. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yea, they just don’t seem to be on the same page. Looks like either Claypool runs the wrong route or Ben thinks he will do something different. And the 50/50 balls he should win given his size are more like 20/80.

19. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

If you look at it, we actually are in agreement... You mention alualu and tuitt being out, which is absolutely my point.....
    Alualu has never been able to stay healthy... His next full season will be his first, and I wouldn't be surprised if he retired after the season....
    As you just mentioned, we need offensive and defensive depth and upgrades, which is pretty much what I said... Same goes with the other positions you just mentioned....
    We are on the same page more than you think

• Like Like x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    10 I could not agree with more. Question remains as to which position should we target first. Should be a slam dunk QB Pick but who knows what these College QBs will look like come the end of the NCAA Season and nevermind how the NFL Draft Board will look the same.

Another Offensive Tackle is a welcome addition. Cornerback should be high on that list as well.

21. nofieldfive

nofieldfive Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Muth had his best game - he was very involved first half. The guy has good hands and moves the chains - he should be getting 10 throws a game.

He's the third and 4th guy to go to....not the 40 yard throws.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Below those three I have DL a close 4th... and that's if Bush/Minkah/Edmonds stay here. I'm hoping OL becomes less of a priority through the season and I'd love to address a need or two with FA money since we'll have it. I really thought they killed this draft and it's showing; I don't ever remember getting this many contributions from rookies (which does also say something about the rest of the roster).

Another good draft, some outside additions, and growth... and this could be a really good team, except, you know, we don't have anything at the most important position. I don't love the draft options at QB so I'll be very interested in which vets might be available.

23. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Chase Claypool needs to really work on not taking a penalty. It seems like every game refs get him on an illegal pick block, or for offensive PI every dang game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The problem is that any time we get into a discussion about needing a true run stopping NT inevitably someone or lots of someone's bring up its too high a price for a part time player or for a two down player. It's hard to advance a discussion when the only response you get is well in the modern day of football NT is being replaced by sub package football. Meanwhile the Steelers get gouged because their defense is based on a core 3-4 concept in which NT is highly important but they are plugging DE in as tackles and the are barely adequate DE' s to say nothing of their work at nose.

25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    If he is getting flagged almost every game, its not just a player issue, but a coaching one too.