1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Strip sack not on Chuks

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Let me correct you as well.strip sack was on Ben.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Yeah, bad Subject line. It was 100% not on Chuks, though.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    My impression from only watching the play twice: It was Moore’s guy, but Moore had pushed him around the pocket initially (as he was supposed to do). Moore was not aware that Ben had stepped up and to the right, and him still defending the pocket made it easy for the defender to disengage. Ultimately it’s on Ben for holding the ball too long, and trying to make a play that wasn’t there. That’s Ben, he’s going to do things like that upon occasion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    that wasn't on chuks or moore. however the two false starts were all chuks. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Chuks played a decent game yesterday against a very good pass rushing team and he deserves some credit.

If he is going to start the rest of the way he has to clean up those false starts however, this offence just isn’t good enough to overcome them and in most cases it’s going to kill the drive

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I will take the two false starts if he can hold a player like Von Miller without a sack.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Ben wasn’t holding the ball long. The play broke down pretty quick. Watch it again in real time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Even more reason to be smart there and get rid of the ball.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    yes but those kill drives as well and we as an offense are struggling to finish drives. we need every one we can get. it needs cleaned up. those are mostly mental mistakes. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    He needs to know he can't break the pocket anymore. He's been watching too many Mahomes and Herbert highlights.

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    In real time, I was yelling for him to get rid of it or cover up the damn ball. You could see that fumble coming.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I've been hard on Chuks. But besides the false starts he played a whale of a game. Holding a top flight pass rusher with 0 sacks is strong.

Hopefully he can build on this performance and clean up the false starts.

The Offensive Line as a whole I believe had it's best performance.

14. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    i counted to 5 full seconds when Ben gets hit. Thats counting 1001, 1002, 1003

While that isn't an eternity its not really considered a short time either in NFL standards.

What i did see was ben take off to avoid the breakdown and not be very careful with the ball. Doesn't even look like a true strip where the ball is ripped out. Looks like he was hit and it came out. Thats totally on Ben. Ben will do ben things but that doesn't excuse being careless with the football.

15. James Orie

James Orie Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Definitely on Ben. Watched game in bar which had multiple screens. The Tampa game and GreenvBay games were on at same time to right and left of Steelers games Shortly after dumb ass Benn took the sack— Rodgers and Brady faced similar circumstances— both threw the ball away thereby averting 2nd or 3rd and long situations.
    Ben is no longer gunslinger. Can’t believe he makes these simplistic mental errors after 18 years in league!

16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Hence why he should never be considered elite.

Hence why he deserves a large share of the blame for the team coming up short so often for 18 years.

17. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I think he deserves most of the blame. His refusal to learn anything new, Put in the effort to get better and make the team better. His passive aggressive BS with OC's cause he's lazy and doesnt want to work or learn to read a defense. The fact that almost every snap for 18 years goes down to the 1 or 2 second mark is absurd that he's making calls and this and that and still cant read a defense. He has been kinda fun to watch and had so much potential but honestly Ben is not as good as everyone likes to think he was. Thats why hes never been talked about with the top QB's. Has he made some cool and great things happen? yeah but jsut enough to make ya briefly forget all the bone headed things he does (on and off the field).

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL.
    I agree up 2 a point.
    The can't, and has never been able 2 read a Defense is crazy though.
    Also He has Been never talked about like other Qbs....Because He has been disliked.
    Pure and simple.
    Example Terry Bradshaw....is never mentioned in Top Qbs.
    Chuck Noll......is Never brought Up in conversation about great Coaches....unless it's by a ex Steelers, or Steelers writers.
    So ....Anyway....I get if You don’t like Him....it's cool, but 2 say a Guy With all He has done can't read a Defense, and never could is really....just funny.

19. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Yeah, thought Chuks played well. Pleasantly surprised

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    mans why has he been disliked around the league? Probably cause most people without the black and gold colored glasses see thru his BS and the fact that when you boil it all down he’s a lucky player. Running around and hoping someone gets open is a lot of luck and let’s face it that’s been Bens game plan pretty much his whole career.

most of the people on this board have said at one time or another why does our offense stall? How come we never see our offense come out and just annihilate another team? Why don’t we ever see our offense truly pick apart a defense? Cause running around and hoping for someone to get open is not a game plan. It’s an incredibly wonderful talent to have for when things break down. However our QB has used it as his bread and butter the whole time. How many OCs has Ben had now and yet honestly we see the same results with the offense year after year with the same statements made year in and year out “next year or next game will be the one where we put it all together” or if this offense can ever put it together we will be the most dangerous offense in the league”. Ben has had multiple OCs some of the most talented players in the skill positions and on the line (some at the same time) and yet the results are always the same. What’s the common denominator? ITs Ben and honestly I can say with sad full confidence that I haven’t seen anything that makes me think Ben can read defenses well (if at all). Maybe I’m wrong but that’s what I see and after 18 years in the league you would think he could pick apart a defense but I have yet to see it. Getting lucky here and there doesn’t mean he can do it.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You don't throw 6 tds back 2 back...just running around.
    We will see how talented those skilled positions are after he's gone.
    Out of all those skilled positions You've had 3 do anything outside of Steelers....
    So:shrug:

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There is no maybe about it. You are wrong. There are plenty of examples of him picking apart defenses. One of the things that set him apart was his ability to improvise, but if you think that is all he has done, you either have a terrible memory, no clue about football, or you weren't watching the same team the rest of us have been watching throughout Roethlisberger's career.

I don't like the guy. I think he was a bad guy and I don't buy into the rehabilitation of his image. I thought the Steelers should have cut him loose and traded for Darnold in the offseason. Even without a deal like that, I still think they should have moved on before now. All of that said, at least I know enough to recognize and respect the Hall of Fame career. I feel sorry for any Steelers fan who missed it the way you did.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Maybe saying he cant read a defense at all is a little overboard on my end. Ill give you that. But even by Bens own admission he didn't learn to read a defense at all till way late in his career. I still see a lot of misreadings from him. I attribute that to his work ethic and defenses evolve and if you don't keep up then you get left behind. I'm sure you will agree with me that Ben has one of the worst work ethics for a QB. But for a 18 year Vet he is not where he should be as far as reading the defenses. I stil stand by my thinking that for his entire career he has done just enough to get by and relied on his raw talents.

I also agree they should have went after Darnold. He's looking like he's better than we have seen from him in the past. Not surprising cause the Jets are a dumpster fire of an organization and Gase might be one of the worst coaches ever. a 2nd 4th and a 6th looks like it was a pretty good deal to get him. I personally think Ben should have been talked into retiring when he went out two seasons ago and needed major surgery. But no everyone including ben wanted to live on fantasy island thinking a late 30's QB that doesn't have the best work ethic and has beat up more than almost any other QB was going to have major surgery and magically defy father time and come back stronger than ever. That just simply doesn't happen and while i cant say for sure im willing to bet on it that nobody at that age, with that history has gone thru anything like that and come back better than they were before. Just not how the body works.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Saying that he got by on his raw talent and saying that he got lucky a few times are not the same thing.