1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Gruden on the hot seat

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Rollers, Oct 8, 2021.

1. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Something tells me this is going to be akin to the "Me Too" movement.

I did some reading and apparently, these e-mails were uncovered because Goodell wanted 650,000 WFT e-mails combed through as part of the investigation by the NFL of the WFT and their misogynistic behavior. Then GM Bruce Allen and Gruden had a relationship dating back to Gruden's first stint with the Raiders, then later on they were together at Tampa Bay. I'd be shocked and stunned if there weren't more incriminating info against other NFL stuffed shirts buried in that pile of nearly two thirds of a million e-mails. I bet many other organization are pouring over their own e-mail logs and deleting anything that even looks questionable. I wouldn't be surprised if it bleeds in to other pro and collegiate sports.

Believe me, I have no sympathy for Gruden. If nothing else, his behavior is incredibly reckless and stupid. I know people like him. Don't know when to keep their mouths shut. People who are opinionated and aren't shy about sharing their thoughts. I'm sure he's had to sign countless personal conduct policies throughout his career. He knew better, or should have. What makes me concerned is that people that point at the Jon Gruden's of the world and say, "He's the bad guy!' really believe this is about social justice, social change. Incidents like this and surely those that will follow in the sports world are a purge. A purge for reasons that probably will have little to do with social justice. Social justice and eliminating racism and sexism will be used as bludgeons for vendettas, incompetence or to create job opportunities. To believe otherwise is a little naive.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Guys, keep politics of this board. Not everything has to be a political death match.

I'm of 2 minds here.

I'm not surprised at all that someone of his generation would talk like that in what he believed to be a private correspondence among like minded people. All of us of a certain age have heard (and said) similar things commonly when we were younger. Some never break the habit. Not saying it's right. Just saying it's not surprising or shocking.

But the NFL is all about image. And now that the cat is out of the bag, it's understandable they don't want him around.

The whole Ring of Honor thing is stupid. No need for that.

Lastly: I have no issue with what he said about Goodell. ;) 90% or more of fans have said worse. (I'm being a little tongue in cheek here before anyone gets riled up)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    “Oh what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say NI at will to an old woman…..”

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Monty Python, and The Holy Grail. LoL

5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Email isn't private. Especially email owned and operated by a corporation. It is easy to forget that things like email, text/sext messages, social media apps, etc. are all permanent and stored somewhere and "owned" by someone who wasn't even involved in the discussion. Heck, even MB posts, which has me thinking, hmm... I'll never be running for public office... :hmm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah....I don't see public office in My future either.
    LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    It can happen. Living Colour was right, "Cult of Personality"

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hard to view this as anything other than a hit job. Leak the part about Gruden but won’t release them in it’s entirety.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1