1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

State of the defense 1/3 of the season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bigbenhotness, Oct 13, 2021.

1. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Meh. We aren't bad, just not great. One can say it's because of injuries, or because of lack of offense... but I think the biggest factor is turnovers. Only falcons, raiders, 9ers and jags have less.

We are:

16th in ypg
    10th in ppg
    20th in sacks

The sack stat is troubling. Highsmith is a big drop off from dupree(I was wrong). Losing tyson was huge, especially with no Tooey. Haden older, no nelson, no hilton and mink not making spectacular plays like before and well you have a subpar secondary.

If we can get tuitt back, and the secondary gels a little longer I think our defense should be ok. Not as good as 2019-2020(pre playoff) though.

What say you guys?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Injuries have been a huge part of the problem. Highsmith missed time, but he has also been hobbled the pretty much all season. Watt missed nearly two full games and I still don't think he is 100 percent. I am still hopeful that Highsmith can be a good player, but I expect him to continue to be a downgrade from what Dupree was before the injury last season.

Throw in the absence of Tuitt and the loss of Alualu and it is clear why the sack total is down. The pass rushers have either been absent entirely or limited most of the season. The pass rush looked great when they were relatively healthy, but that hasn't been the case since early in the game against the Raiders.

Losing Bush again also hurts. They either have to cover for Spillane's deficiencies or live with them. Both of those approaches hurt the defense.

The one factor that has little to do with injuries is Fitzpatrick. He has to play better. He has to make big plays and consistent ones. Remember, he dropped an interception early against the Packers. He also whiffed badly on a big run by the Broncos to set up a field goal Sunday. Maybe they are moving him around too much. Maybe it is some other issue. Regardless, he has to be better.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Highsmith has been disappointing to say the least. Thought he would take a big step. Still time but disappointing all the same. However, as stated, injuries have not assisted in any manner.

The biggest problem now though is the health of Devin Bush. He has yet to stay healthy for a full season and I fear he will not be able to do something. His lack of availability is what is holding this defense back in terms of its overall capabilities.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Watts holdout hurt his readiness for the start of the season.

I feel like we haven't seen him at the top of his game yet this season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    1. Only having one good interior lineman for much of the season to date due to injuries to Tuitt and Alalu.
    2. Watt’s injury: lost time and reduced effectiveness when he came back
    3. Highsmith’s injury: lost time and reduced effectiveness
    4. Hilton was a terrific blitzer who needed to be accounted for by the pass protection; we’ve had no replacement in that way
    5. Vince Williams was arguably at his best when turned loose on inside blitzes. He was a very solid blitzer who put on pressure and got home.

These are all factors that affect the sack number besides the play go the guys who are out there in the field compared to last season. Certainly Highsmith has not taken the next step that was hoped for, but I don’t know how much is due to injury. Ingram has made a lot of good pressures, but has been a half second too late to accumulate sacks. I still think he’s a solid player.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I think Ingram is better than highsmith but that’s just me lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Tyson is one thing, Bush being hurt really hampers this defense. I’m talking a big drop off lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Was listening to Monday's Terrible Podcast. They pointed out that there were plays in the first half where Spillane was the dime LB, i.e. the only ILB on the field. This was before Bush left.

They were both flummoxed as to why, as am I.

Maybe they'll update on today's podcast, but that is a headscratcher.

• Like Like x 2
  9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I wonder if Bush will ever play most of the games in a season.

Imagine an injury free D with all hands on deck. They would be top 5 in league.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Injuries are the biggest factor, I think... Especially on the interior of the D line. Tuitt had 11 sacks last year and Alualu is an underrated run stuffer. Those 2 alone have a huge negative impact.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
    That's insane. Does our coaching staff way overvalue Spillane?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Its been disappointing, Week 1 in Buffalo they did good.

But, injuries keep it down from what it could be which is nothing more than average currently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I don't like Butler, but guys get breathers here and there or miss a couple plays for lots of reasons. Looking at any one play and judging personnel can be impossible to figure out. If it's a usage pattern though, that's worth pointing out.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Oh, I agree. He’s a former Pro Bowler who still plays at a high level.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
    Good point. Let's hope it's not a pattern.

I'm guessing the coaches don't have a lot of faith in Gilbert... He rarely sees the field on D, unless there are multiple injuries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    When does Taco move to the active roster?

I know Butler said he was supposed to play OLB, but we have a huge need at DE if Tuitt never comes back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Anyone notice that the Chiefs attacked the Bills using a 4 man front and weren't sending more than 4 on Sunday night?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I noticed that he was on the field in those situations. I don't get it, either.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I guess you missed the opener. You should watch it. That was a fun one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Defense or not we need to score more, end of story

21. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Waiting on the former browns mauler to take shape! So far he seems steady but he ain’t been a thorn in the side like he was against our squad and others

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think the coaching staff is part of the problem. when you have a highsmith, watt, ingram, bush, schobert on your team and they are not that effective you have to look at coaching. olsavsky and butler are part of the problem. spillane being put in those situations is coaching and scheme. not so much about the player but how we use them against offenses. this has been a problem for a few years. bush and vince running up into a gap and getting taken out of a play are not how they should be playing. it has gone on for a few years. that is coaching. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ingram has seemed to apply more pressure to QBs than Highsmith.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I have heard they're blitzing less, probably due to the secondary isn't that good, their 4 man rush was only good against Buffalo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Tyson and a healthy watt

• Like Like x 1