1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The FG block in Green Bay

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ender, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Serious question here:

im watching the Ravens Colts game and Lamar Jackson fumbles on the 1. Colts pick it up and take it back for a TD with NO FLAGS. They review it (presumably because all scoring plays are reviewed) and say it IS a fumble, but the lateral was forward so they call a penalty AFTER the review.

When the Steelers blocked the FG in Green Bay and they had to review it (because all scoring plays are reviewed) why couldn’t they pick up the flag since Haden and Minkah were clearly not offsides.

I mean why can they CALL a penalty AFTER review tonight, but NOT overrule a clearly unwarranted flag AFTER review in Green Bay?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Great question I wasn’t aware refs could create ex post facto penalties:hmm:

3. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Offsides should absolutely be reviewable . But to be honest Im not sure they would have turn it over because it took some studying to really figure out they were not offside due to the camera angle being so poor.

4. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Rule is that penalties are not reviewable. One exception would be pass interference, if the ball was tipped. Another is too many men

A team may use a challenge to review these situations:

Possession
    Plays involving touching of either the ball or the ground
    Goal line plays
    Plays at the sidelines, line of scrimmage and line to gain
    Number of players on the field at the snap, even when a foul is not called
    Game administration:
    Penalty enforcement
    Proper down
    Spot of a foul
    Status of the game clock
    Disqualification of a player

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The review system is flawed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Presumably, they had noted the lateral and let the play continue so they could review it and confirm...

Best I got.

7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Because the steelers rarely, if ever, get those calls in their favor. Even, at home, we get no home cooking(favorable calls)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Thanks! I wasn’t aware of all these

9. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    The NFL, and especially the officiating/challenge/review process, is stupid.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    If i remember correctly they threw the flag very late also for that type of play. Not one for conspiracy theories but when a flag for that type of infraction is thrown late it kinda makes you wonder.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No one is making me believe they didn't Have a better camera angles. Every play over and over is shown with so many camera angles, and all of a sudden a crucial play happens, and they only have 2...really bad Camera angles....I call Bull$h!+.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    The ball was dead the moment they threw the flag because it’s not reviewable, so there was no scoring play by rule.

The vast majority of offsides don’t result in scores and I can understand that they don’t want the game bogged down in ticky tacky reviews. Still hugely frustrating. Green Bay are nothing special and were beatable, it was a massive momentum changer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    While I agree...I also disagree....Have You seen How many TDs have been thrown on offsides???

14. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think the logical question would be why throw the flag in that instance? The field goal was a scoring play, it was blocked and recovered by the Steelers for a TD in the final 2 minutes of the quarter. If any of the officials had suspected offsides it would have been covered by any of the three criteria. So it comes back to if they weren't 100% sure it was off sides then why throw the flag?

Edit: Also if the play was dead the minute he threw the flag and they didn't get the block but Crosby makes the field goal do the Packers have the option of declining the penalty and taking the points or are they forced to replay the down and kick again?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    That is one thing that just frustrates me to no end. When you have a turnover that has to be confirmed by replay but since it does nothing that happens after the turnover is acceptable because well the entire officiating crew forgot to do their job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The ball was not dead them moment they threw the flag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    i believe you are correct. This is why when a defensive player is offsides the qb's snap the ball and go deep cause they get a free play out of it. Dont see why this would be any different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Excellent point. We got screwed either way

19. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    So basically after the flag nothing the Packers did was going to be bad. If the kick is good they take the points, if he misses they get to do it over, if he hits the back of the snappers head and it comes down in a Steelers hands they get a do over. That sucks about as much as the tipped ball rule.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think a coach should get a chance for one review penalty per game.

It should be use one of their two challenges.

If they win they get to keep their other challenge, if they lose the penalty review, it burns their two challenges for the rest of the game.

If they win review penalty challenge and a regular challenge, they get rewarded an additional challenge just like they currently do.

If they lose a penalty review with only one remaining review, they lose their last challenge and incur a 5 or 10 yard loss beneficial to the other team.

Of course in my wonderful system Tomlin is screwed. He could argue that the sky is blue and lose the challenge.

• Like Like x 1
  21. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm really not sure how they called that a forward lateral to be honest.
    Also there really shouldn't have been a flag on the Steelers blocked FG.

I think Vega$ has a lot to do with these types of calls.

Both of them nullified an immediate TD and were influential in determining the game out comes.

22. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Because offsides is not reviewable, an illegal forward pass is. That simple.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    At a minimum, there were 12 cameras at that game. Bigger games have as many as 20.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Ask Goodell. He won't know either.

25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    That doesn't answer the question, why? What is the reason these are treated differently by the people who wrote the rules? Maybe not so simple of an answer possibly?

• Agree Agree x 1