1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Injury Updates

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jujubean, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    The team can hire the best conditioning coach, but much of it depends on the players. Past players like Harrison and Brown spent hundred of thousands and countless hours every year to keep their bodies in top shape.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I thought for a second you were saying they spent hundreds of thousands of hours... I'm like, hmm, 24x365=8760. How is that even possible? Then I reread it, ah, yes I get it! :smiley1:

And I do agree with you on that point. These guys are getting so damn strong and fast and at some point, there are just biological limits that may get pushed too far.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Yesteryears players played for the love of the game and were tough as nails. Today, its all about the money and risk vs reward takes priority. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. woofermazing

woofermazing Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2017
    And weren't the Colts without their top 3 corners due to injury?

But hey, let's add more games so we can have a Super Bowl of UDFA's.

• Like Like x 2
  5. woofermazing

woofermazing Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2017
    2019 was an injury fest too. Most cumulative starts missed by starters out of any team that year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I believe a lot more of the injuries are due to lack of practices, lack of tackling drills and practicing without pads. This is due to the players union agreement that only allows so many practices and other restrictions. This has actually hurt the players more with the additional injuries. This is an NFL problem and not just the Steelers.

In addition to the above, it's true that players are getting bigger, stronger, faster and also at their biological limits that get pushed to the limits.

7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

That is flat out nonsense. Professional sports in America was born with the 1869 Cincy Red Stockings. They may have loved the game, but decided that if crowds were going to come see then, they might had well charge admission and pocket the gate.

So it has been ever since, a long procession of Players Leagues and Rival leagues where players went to make more money, holdouts in sports are age old. Red Grange and Babe Ruth held out for money nearly 100 yrs ago. Players unions have been around sports for 60 yrs at least.

They may have loved the game back in the day, hell they probably do now, but they play for money. And always have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Didn’t realise that. It’s pointless complaining about it, nobody wants to hear it, but it’s still frustrating.

I always felt that injuries were a huge part of the teams collapse last season and it was very much under-acknowledged by a gleeful mainstream media that had been predicting their downfall all season. They had a lot of injuries on defence and OLine and Ben was clearly a long way from healthy as well.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Advances in light weight protective gear and players going above and beyond in strength and weight training has led to their bodies being subjected to greater stressors than players in the 70's and 80's. Just look at the pads shelf level during Cowhers first few years compared to what they have now and it looks like they aren't wearing pads

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Meh.......... upload_2021-10-12_12-33-57.jpeg :smiley1:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Tis but a scratch. Come on you pansy!

• Like Like x 2
  12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Years ago I read an interview with a former coach. He basically said modern athletes were so finely tuned the slightest ding would keep hem out. Minor injuries that keep players out for weeks were brushed off in the 70’s etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Coolhandluke23

Coolhandluke23 Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2021
    Football players used to be a lot tougher.the players today are wimps compared to guys in the 60s and 70s.they break a fingernail and there out of the game. And these guys are making millions. And somebody on this page stated that a lot of the old nfl players are in wheelchairs. Well there are a lot of people in there 60s in wheelchairs that never played a down of football.at least guys in the 60s and 70s did it right they played for the love of the game. They went out with there boots on!!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    From the sounds of it Sutton Washington and Carlos Davis could all play Sunday assuming no setback.

I highly doubt Bush plays as TOMLIN gave him the kiss of death leave the light on BS

Didn’t seem to commit to Banner or McFarland being ready other than saying they are practicing in some form or fashion.

Tuitt doesn’t seem close.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    It’s just harder to quantify guys who are playing through injuries. I’m not doubting they are hurt but lots of guys play hurt and play a lot better than these two. Not impressed with either of them so far especially Highsmith.

16. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    They just need to step up. :cool:

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

The whole "love for the game" aspect is only held up in such regard due to the immeasurable length some players played during that time; doubly so in American Gridiron Football's case. Take a look at Jim Marshall; legendary iron man for the Minnesota Vikings. Played for an entire generation (20 years) and earned more money than without. The biggest payouts though, came from the Super Bowl at that time as contracts during the 1950s and all the way up until the late 80s and arguably early 90s (Free Agency here) were not very plentiful.... save for a couple of players such as Joe Namath, Earl Campbell, Deion Sanders, etc. Be this as it may, many players had little to no choice but to continue to play as the profession of the NFL was more fruitful than say, owning a car dealership (again, said style of life was decent but nowhere near the amount of fortune NFL Players were making at the time).

Even now and, doubly so, the risk is worth the reward for many. There are notable extremes such as Roger Staubach and Drew Bledsoe but those extremes, even in today's world for Bledsoe's case, are so few and far between. Too few examples of such.

Overall, I do agree that there are a few select players who truly care about playing the game and nothing else; Ray Lewis, the man in my avatar, Brian Dawkins, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Quenton Nelson, Aaron Donald, etc. However, to say that players from different era's had more passion for the game versus the players of today is quite unfair. The best example of such a contradiction was the now infamous Strike of 1982 where the season was shortened to nine games. The strikes of 1968, 1970 and even 1974 are also listed here but few strikes left a deeper impression on the NFL than the one in 1982.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's why a lot of the players from back in the day end up all busted up when they retired, some rushed back too soon from concussions and injuries, players today have 100 million dollar contracts on the line and have to think about their futures.

19. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

It ain’t just the players that have to think of about the risks they take for future money. Owners have to be concerned too. If you’ve guaranteed TJ Watts $80mil, you have a vested interest in his health.

I also think players of today seeing all those old tough guys sitting in wheelchairs getting honored by their teams, decide that they’d rather not be in the situation when their time comes. If that means they’re not tough or that they are wusses, so be it. And I don’t blame thrm.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Highsmith hasn't done much at all. Watt was dominating before the injury and he has been good the last two games. He's just not quite back up to his usual level yet.

21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Getting Washington back is important with Smith-Schuster out and they certainly need Sutton back with the way Pierre was exposed much of the fourth quarter against Denver, but losing Bush is a big blow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019

They need to wear some damn pads! Guys are out there in tights and 80's fashion shoulder-pads. Ridiculous they don't enforce it.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not against what You are saying, but a lot of 60, and 70 year Olds that have never played a lick of Football are in wheelchairs, and Walkers...So...

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Bush was a full participant so he might be good to go Sunday night. Wonder if he will keep tweaking that groin in game though.

James Washington was limited so really hoping he can go full today as we need him with no JuJu

• Like Like x 1
  25. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Man, I used to really get irritated when I’d see players sitting out for a little broken toe, always thought tape it up and play.

And then it happened, I hit my pinky toe on my little boys toy truck and let me tell you I could hardly walk, it was constant pain, I will never question why they won’t play with a broken toe again.