1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our answer to drafting a QB isn't going to happen

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Just because he has a couple good games didn't make him an elite. He literally fell off the cliff after the defense was gone.

Matt Ryan has crushed him. But because Matt Ryan didn't have a defense, y'all never see the value in Ryan when the trade was brought up. Which is why everyone here said no...... But something tells me, you and others would say yes if flacco was still playing.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    So you've commented several times how you think x amount will be gone in the first. So how many of those first round quarterbacks you see having a playoff season?

3. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    So my point is there will only be one who might take their team to the playoffs. How many you thinking will that'll be drafted in the first round?

4. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    So when the trade for Matt Ryan was brought up, everyone here said no. Yet Ryan has crushed flacco in stats. But because he had no defense, y'all see no value in him.

Wins are not the main thing about what makes a quarterback good. Yards, touchdowns are always before game wins.

5. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Of course there's a couple wrong. While majority they get right...... Why don't you go look up a season of where there was only one projected first rounder, and tell me what that class ended up doing for their teams.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    As rookies? Zero. QBs are drafted for the future, even if they’re often pressed into service too soon when they’re drafted by teams with no other viable options.

7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    No but Balakeh is...

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He wouldn't have a position on the Steelers, I would rather have Najee, and Freiermuth.

10. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Huh? Instant upgrade over Edmunds, could play in all subpackages.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Considering he never had a true no. 1 receiver or any decent receivers until Steve Smith was signed, he did well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Spencer Rattler was benched this week for a true freshman Caleb Williams who led the Sooners back from a large deficit to win the game. It appears Spencer Rattler's stock is going to fall way off. Not sure he's worth a first or second round draft pick.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, what would we want with an uber talented player like this.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    In their primes, I would take Ryan, but he is well past his prime, so I’m not sure giving up draft capital for him would make sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Not just yards and touchdowns. Game winning drives, interceptions, yards per attempt all matter too. How many quarterbacks rack up yards and garbage tds and stats don’t show that just the end number.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    If that were completely true then Tomlin wouldn't be here anymore or at the very least the staff significantly upgraded. Oh they say they're all about winning a championship, but they will never cross those arbitrary lines they've created for themselves. Never fire a HC, etc. That's not commitment. Tweaking a few small things in one season and thinking that's all that's needed to win it all next year while turning a blind eye to major problems year after year, that's not trying your hardest. In fact that's the definition of settling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Huh? He's in the top 5 in ratings vs all his careers. And still looking at 4500+ yards. And on pace to do over 30 passing TD.

Screenshot_20211010-133308_Chrome.jpg

He actually having a better last 5 seasons vs the first 5 seasons.

He doesn't have Julio this season. And today Calvin ridley wasn't there. Yet he still put up impressive numbers.

18. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Well.... That's all. Nothing more.

19. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I don't see a potential franchise QB in the draft as of today. I reserve the right to change my mind though.

I'm not sure what the fascination is with Desmond Ridder. He's more of a game manager type of QB.

Forget about Aaron Rodgers. He's not going to leave Green Bay for Pittsburgh.

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I sure did.

I also did not know of his heart condition. Had I had known that, someone else would have been the pick.

21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’d agree with you in relation to the staff and it frustrates me as well. They have made a lot of underwhelming appointments, particularly in recent years, Fictner etc. They are not a cheap team and seem to have no issue paying playing staff so it’s a tough one to countenance and explain. I do t know if it’s financially driven or if they believe that promoting from within is the path to success.

Either way I still don’t agree that they don’t want to win. Even if they are not that passionate about the team (which I don’t agree with) there are huge monetary benefits associated with winning, more bandwagon fans, more shirt and merchandise sales etc etc. It is in their personal best interest that the team is as successful as possible.

This comes back to what I said, a lot of fans, myself included would do some things differently. That does not necessarily mean the Rooneys are happy for the Steelers to be a middling team.

• Like Like x 1
  22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Damnit now what am I going to ***** about the rest of the week?

• Like Like x 1
  23. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Most teams don’t have a franchise QB to step in for a franchise QB. It rarely happens.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Is he a safety, or ILB?

25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    And he was drafted before the Steelers picked in the second round, they sure as hell wasn't going to draft him in the first round :shrug:.