1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our answer to drafting a QB isn't going to happen

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Oct 9, 2021.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Does Desmond wear a green outfit with question marks on it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    It is not a possibility because of the money it will take that the Rooney's won't give. He goes to Denver.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Joe Flacco couldn't beat out Tyler Palko at Pitt and ended up at Delaware. Palko was a clipboard holder who started four NFL games only because the Chiefs suffered multiple injuries at quarterback. Flacco turned out to be a bit better than that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Rattler played like Dwayne Haskins today against Texas. No we don’t need another first rounder in street clothes holding a clipboard

5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Ratter has been a disappointment, but that doesn't mean there won't be viable options at quarterback in the first round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    It is absolutely a possibility. They have money and can do all sorts of cap gymnastics to try to make a run if they can get him to Pittsburgh. Cap is likely to go up significantly from 2023.

My big worry would be the draft capital they’d have to give up and where that would leave them in terms of team building with so many holes, LT, Corner etc

The Steelers spend nearly right up to the cap every year, they just made TJ the highest paid defensive player in football. What makes you think the Rooneys wouldn’t pay a QB if he gives them a chance to win?

7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Because while they'll spend "big" money on players they've drafted and developed, they've never done it for outside free agents.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Matt Corral is a slow midget

Just what every team needs

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    What is it all for if you don’t have a Quarterback? You have no chance of contending if you don’t have a good one. If they draft a QB in round 1 you have 2-3 seasons of growing pains, Heyward will be gone, Watt will be 30 etc.

If they feel they are close enough to winning why wouldn’t they pick up the phone and ask about Rodgers?

If we must bring team philosophy in to it Rooney doesn’t believe in rebuilds or reset seasons etc. He want to put the best team possible on the field each year

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well ....We know how that's worked out.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I watched Corral today put up 51 points on Arkansas. He plays with a lot of heart and passion and is tough as nails. If he became a Steeler he would be an instant fan favorite.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Given the fact that both Kevin Colbert and the Steelers BLESTO Scouting Staff have already made contact with the likes of Malik Willis, Matt Corrall, Desmond Ridder and other options like Kenny Pickett and Kaleb Eleby, I believe that the team is doing all it can in terms of due diligence. That said, for the team to select one of the "Big Three", there had better be a run on some serious defensive talent. Thankfully, should the current trend of losing continue for some of the current winless teams, many of those high profile Defensive Players will be selected first.

That said and, still quite a pipe dream for yours truly, Kyle Hamilton and Minkah Fitzpatrick would be a match made in heaven. Quite the dynamic pairing to set us up for years. That said, that is all but wishful thinking as such a luxury is too rich to spend a pick on...... in the event he ever fell that far of course.

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I mean...

Malik Willis still has a chance.... against Ole Miss as that will be his biggest test. Beyond that though, Syracuse has not been an easy opponent either. However, none of that is a concern regarding him.

His issues are more so about how quickly he can acclimate himself. Talent is not one of his shortcomings.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We are not that Great So...that's not saying much. Arkansas that is.
    Georgia beat us 37 - 0 last week.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    After QB, he tops my list for first rd pick. Let the ND pipeline continue :clapping:

• Like Like x 1
  16. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    They need to draft Ridder or Willis period.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Kind of like that pipe dream you had of JOK becoming a Steeler :rolleyes:.

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I would prefer Ridder, he played against better competition and is bigger, he also has the athleticism to run when needed.

19. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Maybe I should have known this but is anyone else surprised by Mason being 6'4?

When I see him in the pocket I would swear 6 even.

Maybe it's the lack of build or seeing bens fat *ss for years but he looks just generally, small.

• Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Steelers fans thinking they have a shot at Corral who is probably QB #1, I doubt they will a high enough draft pick to get him. These teams could be looking to draft a QB in 2022:
    Houston
    Detroit
    Atlanta
    Philadelphia
    Washington

21. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I don't see where this team is good enough that even Aaron Rodgers puts them over the top. Their defensive line is aging out. Their defensive backfield is unstable. We all know about the o-line. The receivers are solid but lack a legitimate game breaker. I think there's a lot of baggage on this team that needs to be jettisoned. They have to clear even more cap next year and start the process of getting younger, faster and more physical. Whether all this takes place or the current brain trust runs around trying to clog holes in the dam is the $100 million question.

By the way, I like Corral. The kid is a winner and he plays his ass off. The Steelers could use an infusion of passion on their team like he displays. However, as bad as they are, I can't see them being bad enough to be in a position to draft him.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Would have been a very good pick, he’s playing great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I bet he can throw that ball over them mountains....

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

How about Carson strong? I do like corral. He is legit.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    The Steelers went the majority of Cowher years without a QB. To sign the best free agent QB or trade for is not their MO. As I've said before, ownership is perfectly happy with a winning regular season. They don't believe they need to go nuts to go over the top.