1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Gruden on the hot seat

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Rollers, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Made a comment around 10 years ago about this guy:

“Dumboriss Smith has lips the size of michellin tires,” Gruden wrote in the email reviewed by the newspaper.

So there ya go. Will he stay or will he go???

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The way society now caters to the touchy feelie people he'll have to make some sort of statement. IMO it's nothing but BS.

I'm always waiting for all the girls whose butt I pinched 30-40 years ago to come after me for money because we all know young pretty girls just hate the attention.

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well does He have lips that Big...I don't know who He is.
    That Be like me complaining because someone said I got a beard like grizzly Adam's, Hair Like a girl, a forehead like Frankenstein, or Feet Like skis.
    JMO, but people Get Hurt when there is no intention 2 Hurt sometimes.
    I haven't heard of this story....So maybe I'm in the wrong. :shrug:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Don't you just love this cancel culture bull****?

These were internal investigations within Washington's team, stuff like this should be kept private not leaked to the press wolves.

And for the record by no means am I condoning what he said. And I don't even like John Gruden. But come on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    It's DeMaurice Smith the players union rep. So they're spinning this into a race thing.

6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Remember the dark ages when we could all laugh at “Delirious” and Sam Kinnison and any bit by Chris Rock and laugh our asses off? Those were the days…..

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Oh...LoL. I didn't even know it was a Black Dude...Well Until now. I know who He is, but didn't know His Name.

8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Context is everything though, he stated that he often uses the term "rubber lips" for people he thinks are lying and he equated that to what he said is disingenuous at best. Because, he then said he doesn't think Smith is a liar or dishonest and he was just upset at the lock-out. A "lock-out" by the owners not a "Strike" by the players per-se.

If that's what you were saying then own up to it and say it. Say "I thought he was lying to the players to get terms in the CBA, so I called him that and used what i thought meant he was lying to me."

I've never heard of that being used as a racial epithet, but the big lips thing has been used. Now if you were making fun of the mans lips, just say that. Say you were trying to clown on the guy and be funny you just probably shouldn't have used that because of the racial undertones.

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Stupid people say stupid things.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    If I can quote a little Eddie Murphy to ya, "Mick Jagger's lips so big, black people be sayin' "He got some big ass lips"-Delirious
    Should he be on a hot seat now? For a joke from 30+ years ago?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

for ****s sake, liberal;s need to stop digging up the past, everyone one has said **** in the past that others find offensive.... and if they said they havnt, their a damn liar

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    First off, I'm not a liberal - far from it. Second, are you saying that what Gruden said, or wrote as the case may be, wasn't stupid?

I mean seriously, even if one believes it wasn't racially motivated, that was just a dumb thing to say. Especially considering that it was written. Get someone to proof and edit it for crying out loud

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Liberal Liberal...LoL.
    We all say dumb $hit every once in a while.
    Even I.
    LoL.
    I just wish everything wasn't about race. I actually thought growing Up We were past that....Now seems We've slipped Back.....I know a Bunch of Younger People that Now think everything Is about race. Well it is if You Make it that way.
    Reminds Me of a Time I got kicked out of a store for saying something My Buddy was buying was Gay....I didn't Mean Gay in that sense...., I meant Gay as in stupid. Older saying, but it didn't stop them from throwing Me Out for something I didn't even Mean.:shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Im saying everyone has said **** that others will find offensive,.. stop digging up the ****ing past...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm not digging up sh!t, dude. I responded that his comment was dumb. Get over yourself.

16. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    True, and someone tried to compare him to Eddie Murphy, that's what Murphy gets paid to do, he's a comedian. There is a difference. Say or write stupid Chit and it gets you into trouble.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Because the younger people who eat up all this **** have no concept of time and how things had different meanings then than they do now. They'll realize it when they get older but by then it will be too late.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I didn’t compare Chuckie to Eddie, just that they both said something that would be considered offensive today. This is over something Gruden allegedly said 10 years ago? 10 years? There might be a point if it was 10 DAYS ago. And, is it okay for a comedian to say something offensive because they get paid for it? Murphy would never be able to make “Delirious” today without someone getting their panties in a bunch.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
  20. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    More than Hot Seat he got fired by Dumb/Dumber looking Mark Davis!!

21. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Goodbye Chucky, it was good to know you---not really.

• Like Like x 1
  22. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Too bad, I always liked Gruden. His NFL days are over. In a couple weeks we'll never hear his name mentioned again

23. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I hope he starts dropping names all over the league.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Man have times changed; I remember my Dad calling me a P*ssy all the time back in high school to get me to dig down deep and do something. "Don't be such a p*ssy" was a common phrase used when someone was wimping out.

Joe Biden, whom Gruden called a “nervous clueless p*ssy.”

I wonder if "Wimping out" is no longer acceptable to the next generation?

25. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I doubt he will, but you bring up a good point. This is not uncommon language. Gruden is far from the only one talking like that, far from it. While I understand the concept of 2 wrongs don't make a right, I just get annoyed when the whole world acts outraged because someone got caught speaking the same way they have and maybe still do.

That's not to say I think he should be able to write that stuff and keep his job. I'm not saying that, but the outrage is annoying. Gruden said the same stuff every other coach does, he just got caught.

• Agree Agree x 1