1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody seen Alex Highsmith?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You apparently missed all of last season. You should go back and watch it. I don't understand missing an entire season of games if you are a Steelers fan. Highsmith already proved he is miles ahead of waiver fodder like Skipper if you were paying attention.

You doubled down on your ignorance with the bit about his school not turning out NFL players. Who cares? Small school guys develop into stars sometimes. Again, if you follow the NFL for any length of time and you don't know that, you truly are clueless. If we dismissed every outside linebacker who isn't quite as much of a physical freak as Dupree, we would dismiss 99 percent of the outside linebackers in the NFL. Hell, Watt isn't as freakishly, physically gifted as Dupree.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    What i meant by comparing him to Bud... Bud didn't have a lot of talent, especially when he first got here, but he had the athletic ability to make up for it to fall back on. Highsmith has the athletics of a depth player or worse and not really any skill, in todays NFL as a starter that isn't going to work.He hasn't done anything on the field that is noteworthy man. He has not flashed anything that should make anyone think that he is a mainstay for the Steelers. Last year what did he do? The pass rush went into the toilet when Highsmith stepped in. This has to be one the most overrated by fans Steelers players i can remember.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Dupree didn’t have talent, but he had athletic ability? Care to try that again?

You seem to think an outside linebacker gad to match Dupree’s athletic ability to be a starter. That eliminates about 90 percent of the starting outside linebackers in the NFL. Highsmith has the ability to be a very good starter. He was better last season than Dupree was a rookie. That you don’t think he has any skill simply demonstrates that you don’t know what you are talking about. That you don’t think he has shown flashes simply demonstrates that you haven’t been paying attention.

No, Highsmith wasn’t even close to Dupree’s level last season, but most rookies aren’t.

4. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I thought he was wearing an invisibility cloak but then I caught his jersey, like once. He needs to step it up, along with a load of others on this team.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Highsmith will hopefully be fine, he is a long way from 100% by all accounts. I think what they needed from him this year was to be solid in Run D and get maybe 6-8 sacks. He still has time and getting Tuitt back will be huge. No need to panic

That second string tackle that he was up against last week did a good job on Nick Bosa the previous week btw, and Rodgers is a master of reading things and moving in the pocket so it was never going to be a sackfest

Highsmith is pretty low on my list of concerns about this Steelers team right now. JMO

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If He had an Invisibility cloak....He might be producing. LoL

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If they get any production from Tuitt I will be surprised, I'm sure he will return but coming off a knee injury and grieving the loss of his brother, I don't expect much from him.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Yes athletic ability that Bud had masked a lot of flaws in his game, especially early in his career . You’re acting like highsmith had an all pro caliber season last year. Lol. Not even close. Nobody cares about last year. Highsmith was once again a no show today . With Watt getting doubled and heyward demanding attention , he still couldn’t find the QB. Dude is not good

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    It seemed like they did a really good job of chipping the edge guys.

10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He would have had a sack if not for a total mugging they had to call a hold on. I mean a total mugging.

He has been nursing a groin injury. Yes he needs to do more no kidding. But he's not good? That's laughable. He hasn't even started a full season yet. And missed a game as well as was limited in the 2nd half of the previous game.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    With all the Alvin love maybe those should grab a #48 Titans jersey. Take a look at what he has done this season. Not much. But oh he is nursing a knee right?!

It took Alvin till his 5th season option to finally show he was worth his 1st round pick status. I think Highsmith should get the same consideration. And he was a 3rd rounder.

And please, I don't care how much a physical freak Alvin is or was please don't even lump him in any way with TJ Watt.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Dupree got good when he switched sides, also when he got a real OLB coach in Butler.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Wait, yep, uhuh……..think I’ve finally got him! Yeah Unfortunately, so did the refs, easy to spot all alone on the wrong side.

upload_2021-10-10_15-2-22.png

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    When he gets fully healthy you will see him, a budding superstar. well on his way.
    He is trying tp play thru a groin injury.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

Former Steelers player Chris Hoke

• Like Like x 1
  16. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    This is why I thought we should have started Ingram - let Highsmith work on his craft. He’s got problems. Letting him play is not helping. There’s been ZERO progress. We needed the depth.

Trading i gram was stupid. Basically the coach staff admitted they don’t expect a post season this year. The lack of moves , dealing ingram, and developing all these rookies was the steelers waving the white flag . The team is focusing on next season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Look at Watt's 2nd sack from last game.
    Highsmith exploded across the LOS before the tackle reacts to the snap. The RB has to chip him, and the QB is forced into the path of Watt.

Maybe Watt would have worked his way to a sack anyways. Maybe not.
    In this play, despite Highsmith getting zero for anything, his actions led to Watt getting a single blocker, and the QB has no time to avoid a sack.

• Like Like x 2
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

His dad trying to get him voted to the Pro Bowl, Alex has 1.5 sacks :rolleyes:.

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Seems like the entire 2020 Class is having a Sophomore Slump be it one reason or another. The most damning though are both Claypool and Highsmith. Those two were needed to contribute and evolve in a big way this season and sadly, it has not happened yet.

If there was a good time to begin that surge, I think this week against a tough Chargers team is the week to do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Too bad they didn't feel that way in March...the "are we in or out" offseason will be costly in the future.

21. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    He was a third round draft pick correct? Looking at him through the lens of a third round pick he has acquitted himself pretty well. Bud was a first round pick and it took him a while to get to be the player he is today. We're talking about Alex as if he were a first round pick and he was not. I'd feel a lot better about Edmunds if he had been a third round pick. I don't think Alex has lit it up but geeze it's his second year. He was the 102nd guy drafted. I think he'll be fine.

22. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Highsmith hasn't developed like I had hoped/expected, but I agree his injury and injuries around him haven't helped.

Still, he's out PFF'ing Dupree 61 to 50 so far, and I'm still glad the Steelers didn't pay Bud long term. Still plenty of time to determine if they need to do the same with Highsmith.

23. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Once TJ went out against the Lions, I really thought Highsmith looked pretty good. It wasn't until the fourth quarter but still...

24. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
  25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It's ridiculous to try and compare Bud and Highsmith this season, Bud is coming off a serious knee injury, and his snaps are down because of it.

• Agree Agree x 1