1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Our answer to drafting a QB isn't going to happen

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Next year there is only one true prospect projects to go in the first round.

[​IMG] Matt Corral**, QB, Ole Miss
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 198.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.75.
    Projected Round (2022): 1.

[​IMG] Spencer Rattler**, QB, Oklahoma
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 205.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.6.
    Projected Round (2022): 1-2.
    View Ranking History

[​IMG] Malik Willis**, QB, Liberty
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 218.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.5.
    Projected Round (2022): 1-3.

[​IMG] Sam Howell**, QB, North Carolina
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 220.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.9.
    Projected Round (2022): 1-3.

[​IMG] Desmond Ridder*, QB, Cincinnati
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 215.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.8.
    Projected Round (2022): 2-4.

To give you an idea. Mason Rudolph was a projected 1-3 round.

[​IMG] Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 235.
    40 Time: 4.90.
    Projected Round (2018): 1-3.

There is not top 5, no top 20. It's just one guy to go in the first round round. So if anyone picks a QB in the top 20, they're reaching. If multiple teams draft a QB in the first round, it's reaching.

To me our only real chance is to make a trade or look into FA with guys like Wilson, Rodgers. We do have the money to make something happen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    That's pretty lightweight analysis - where is it from?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Too early to tell. By season’s end one or more of these guys could put out some great tape and move their way up the draft boards. I like Corral so far based on game tape. He will easily be a 1st rounder unless he falters. Willis has elite physical abilities other than height. Howell should work his way back into the 1st. I think there will be at least 3 that go in the 1st.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Correct - by this time in his last year at OSU, Mason was considered by some to be the best prospect in the draft, by most a first rounder. He was hurt in post-season workouts and measurables.

Besides, we won't be in the market for a QB until 2025 or so...

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I don't feel comfortable with 6 foot QB's so my vote is for Desmond Ridder. I know nothing about NCAA players but I know a taller QB can see over those big linemen.

Still hope for another miracle like 6th round Tom Brady was.

I still believe Mason Rudolph is our starting QB in 2022. He will take all kinds of crap on this board but he is going to get a chance to prove he can be a starting QB in the NFL. His back up will be whoever we draft. I'd rather draft some big ass O-line men. Most NFL games our decided in the trenches.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Are you kidding about 2025 or do you: A) think Ben hangs on. B) Mason is our guy for the next few years. C) just real pissed at the front office right now. ??????????????????????

• Like Like x 1
  7. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I just can't see the Pittsburgh Steelers getting a starting QB through FA. Just seems like something the organization won't do.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm not a fan of next's years QB selection either. The fact that Spencer Rattler is being mentioned as a first round pick says it all.(He shouldn't be) I would hold off on taking a QB until there is a true franchise guy available, even if it takes a few years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Um, some of those guys will go top 5.

Willis will be a stud in this league.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Problem solved.....

[​IMG]

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Never heard of Liberty until I read this thread. I'm thinking they don't play the bigger schools??????? Does his competition make him look good????????

Really have no idea.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm pretty sure Eric Green went to Liberty. I have no idea if the QB from Liberty is any good or not. But remember that Miami of Ohio didnt play top level competition either. Ben did pretty well.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Yes, Eric Green went to Liberty. As did two Pirates from their 90's team, Sid Bream and Randy Tomlin.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They have been stalling for years. Should have had one to step in. They thought that Ol Ben would last forever. They should make a new Operation game and use Ben as the patient.

I'm warming up to the possibility of AAron. It will cost possibly a few first round picks. He respects Tomlin and he isn't going anywhere. He is at odds with LaFleur and wants out of GB. I feel he could work with Canada in which Ben won't.

Unless we can land a true franchise QB in the 1st and have him sit behind Rudolph for a year. But it depends where the draft position will be.

The long and short of it even if Ben can muster a few more wins he still has to go. Fools gold.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Way too early. These projection lists will look dramatically different in March. Carson Strong isn't even listed here

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s talking about Rodgers ;)

Lot of big talent has come from small schools. Don’t know how many QB’s fit that mold though.

17. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Couldn't beat out Jarrett Stidham so he goes to...Liberty? That's a red flag right there.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Way too early is right. Zach Wilson was on no one's radar as a first rounder last year at this time.

I did an analysis once of QB's drafted since 1990 which I can't find now, but essentially the chances of finding a franchise QB is about 33% in the first round and goes down from there. The third round is like 10% (essentially Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott and no one else) and after that it's essentially zero. (Brady notwithstanding.)

Basically, barely worth drafting a QB after round 2 unless all you're looking for is a backup.

• Like Like x 1
  19. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I wouldn't read too much into that. a) Guys develop at different times and under different conditions, b) Joe Burrow transferred cuz he couldn't beat out Haskins, Hurts transferred couldn't beat out Tua. I think I know which of those I'd rather have. (Ok, I get that those guys went to power 5 schools, not Liberty, but still.)

• Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Willis hasn't faced big time competition, I doubt he would help in 2022.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t care about that stuff, who knows what goes into a coaches decision, all I care about is what I see him doing on a football field.

22. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    This team has way too many holes to fill to consider bringing in a older vet who’s in win now mode. Not to mention you would have to ruin the cap for the next few years to bring him in. Next year needs to be a cap reset year to finally clear all the contract restructures done over the last few years to keep giving Ben a chance.

• Winner Winner x 2
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not true. Burrow broke his hand. Hard for A Qb 2 beat anyone out with a broken Hand.:thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  24. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Couldn’t agree more. They should have done that this year.

Rooney doesn’t think like that however. Rodgers to the Steelers is definitely a possibility IMO as they try to keep rolling. Depends on what GB will want and who else will want him of course. I still think Denver is his most likely landing spot

• Like Like x 1
  25. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    He wasn't going to beat out Haskins regardless. Even Burrow has said that at the time Haskins had the inside track due to his performance vs Michigan. Haskins was definitely more of a Meyer type of QB anyway.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1