1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Ben going to be the STANDARD for aging QBs?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    This is a good video that really breaks down how Ben is going to be the cautionary tale for all QBs approaching 40 and what not to do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Ben isn't hurting this team as much as those that are letting him hurt this team. Do you really think these talking heads would put money on their gossip opinions and predictions? Really? I guess they appeal to the low information viewers. Taking bad information serious is worse than taking no information. JMO>

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    What would brady look like behind this o-line? What would brady look like working with this OC? Look, I know Ben is at the end of a truly (IMO) great career, but he hasn't been dealt the best hand.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I'm reserving judgment on Canada until he has someone at QB that can move OR an oline that can buy time for an imobile QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Nope as Ben is as tough as nails and not really a student of the game..He has been beat down and not many Players could play his style of play for as long as he has ..

Most cats who try to play like him be blessed to play until they 30..

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Eli Manning, Ben now, we see how it plays out. Not good, yes you can say Brady and Rodgers
    but for the majority father time has no equal. I personally am experiencing this in my current job
    I can't do the physical job/s that I was once able to do. Very frustrating. My body to has grown tired, trying
    to work until Feb 2022 when I will turn 62.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    I want this Ben back!

ben.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Brady would be hampered by the line, but he would still be significantly better than what we are seeing from Roethlisberger. Green Bay didn't generate much pressure, but Roethlisberger was still horrid. People really need to stop making excuses for Roethlisberger. His body is breaking down and it is ruining his mechanics. He clearly has no idea how to adjust, so we are seeing the same show over and over again. Pass after pass is sailing high.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Growing old sucks! When I watch those young lasses strutting their fine young stuff on the beach I always think, that body will betray you. Now Ben's body took such a beating in it's prime that he will be living on Advil in his 50's.

10. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Brady would also hit more players downfield, which would draw safeties out of the box and open up the run game. He'd certainly not dump passes to Najee on 4th down short of the sticks in 0.5 seconds and keep drives alive, and check out of plays that were doomed from the start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    In some ways what is happening to Ben is STANDARD for aging QBs. Lots of them start falling apart in the mid 30s and have to quit before they want to: Jim Kelly, ELi, Phil Rivers all had ugly endings, Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas, Namath all ended up on finishing their careers on second 'teams' without much sucess.
    This is how it ususally works. One of the reasons Ben game back was that he didn't want to go out with the ugly playoff loss to Cleveland. Welll, it doesn't look like its going to end better.

Happy endings are rare for aging athletes. Elway and Peyton got them, but they had very, very good supporting cases. Brady is just off the charts. Most athletes like Ben are the last to realize that the don't have it anymore. And because they can only be convinced otherwise otherwise by 'hard' experience, the end inevitably looks ugly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    ben is not the only problem. However, he is a significant part of the problem. Can he turn it around? Maybe, but it’s doubtful. The more likely scenario would be to see flashes of solid play from him that leaves some proclaiming he’s still got it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    brady would work with the OC instead of dictating what he will and won’t do. Brady would learn, read defenses and prepare. That would change everything drastically. Ben had amazing raw talent. That’s gone now and his lack of really ever truly working on his craft instead of relying on raw talent is why he’s terrible and predictable now.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    It just seems like were on a death bed watch, hoping Ben goes gently into the night. Rather than turns out to be a cautionary tale that will be remembered forever.

When can we start expecting Skits of old man Ben to show up in the late night talk shows?

16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He had those sailing pass games sporadically before. Then they became more frequent, and now every game.

17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    y’all really need to stop with the Ben/Brady comparisons.

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The line can improve, the run game can improve, the WR’s can improve, Ben can’t improve. He’s into 11 games of awful play, he’s not going to get better. Stop making excuses.

The line didn’t even play bad last game and Ben still was missing receivers and making terrible throws/decisions. He was doing that last season and Canada wasn’t OC, just another excuse to absolve Ben of blame.

Going to be nearly impossible to win games when your offense is only capable of scoring 17.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    True and it is sad to see that The Steelers are willing to allow Ben to bring down the entire ship because of his inability to perform.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    I rated both your and Mike T's posts as "Winner". Do I have to designate gold and silver, or is it a draw?

• Like Like x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well with Rodgers You have 2 take the time on the Bench behind B.F., and almost 2 whole seasons out because of injuries.

22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    At the time, I was for it, but now that I think about it ... we really messed up letting Arians go ...

Players make the plays. Ben was getting killed because out O-Line wasn't very talented, and I think it is the same case today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    I have the solution! Next year, when the Steelers acquire Rodgers, Ben can play for the Broncos and continue their tradition of sending off HoF QBs the right way!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Where’s the lie? Spot on. That 5 minute mark where Simms is talking about what is Ben even looking at? His processing is just bad, bad reads, bad decisions, bad throws.

Next two weeks are huge, if they flop both, you have to make the switch after the bye.

Hope Ben is listening because the only chance this team has is for him to be a game manager, he has to lose the gunslingers mentality and I doubt he can. I’m not even sure he can be a game manager with some of the throws he is missing but thats his and this teams only chance.

Otherwise it’s Rudolph/Haskins time and that’s, well, that should be interesting.

25. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    It's imperative that they don't waste the entirety of 2021 without getting a look at Rudolph again. If they're saving him for 2022, that could very well be two straight lost seasons.

• Agree Agree x 3